So the drug addict 13 year old next door has a gun...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    What can I do about it? He likes to take it outside with his friends and shows it off. I wouldn't care if I didn't already know these people and how the whole family does drugs and makes life for everyone in the neighborhood miserable (the boy screams profanities outside to see who'll yell at him so he can threaten them, he messes up gardens, destroys house lights, the dad and his drug friends will unscrew the neighbor's yard lights at night when they do drug deals outside his house, etc.). What can the police do about it? And how do I leave a tip anonymously? I don't need/want to start some sort of neighbor war especially when the family next door will go as far as poisoning our dogs for telling the kid to stay out of the yard.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    What can I do about it? He likes to take it outside with his friends and shows it off. I wouldn't care if I didn't already know these people and how the whole family does drugs and makes life for everyone in the neighborhood miserable (the boy screams profanities outside to see who'll yell at him so he can threaten them, he messes up gardens, destroys house lights, the dad and his drug friends will unscrew the neighbor's yard lights at night when they do drug deals outside his house, etc.). What can the police do about it? And how do I leave a tip anonymously? I don't need/want to start some sort of neighbor war especially when the family next door will go as far as poisoning our dogs for telling the kid to stay out of the yard.

Got a camera on your phone? Cops might be more likely to act with pics. :dunno:

As long as he doesn't leave the property with the gun, I don't think the cops can do anything.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Got a camera on your phone? Cops might be more likely to act with pics. :dunno:

As long as he doesn't leave the property with the gun, I don't think the cops can do anything.

See I have reason to believe the dad is a felon. He deals drugs sooo should be a reasonable suspicion that he has a previous conviction already. Landlord won't do anything without evidence and dad/stepmom are only motivated to do something until they realize the only thing we can do is set up cameras.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If they are unbalanced, breaking the law, etc. DO NOT use your cell phone to video them where they can see you.
    Discrete surveillance cameras and dvr, or trail cameras.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    See I have reason to believe the dad is a felon. He deals drugs sooo should be a reasonable suspicion that he has a previous conviction already. Landlord won't do anything without evidence and dad/stepmom are only motivated to do something until they realize the only thing we can do is set up cameras.

Can you look his name up online?? Felon with a gun puts a different flavor on things.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I see you're a little outside Greenwood. If that's Johnson County I'd say you'd have better luck with the police than Marion County.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Have you talked with the police? See what suggestions they might have? Just an informal phone call or visit to a station. If you see one stopped somewhere (store), approach and ask for advice. Can't hurt.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you decide to pursue this, no matter what you do, other than ignore them the best you can, you should prepare yourself for the possibility that things will get worse before they get better--if they get better. Just because they are "drug sellin' felons" doesn't mean they're stupid and won't be able to figure out who's bringing the heat down on them.

I like the suggestion of a game camera. At least, if they come on your property and cause damage, you might have a lever to use.

Shootsforfun

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yes I agree we had a similiar problem. Got one one the stealth deer cams that doesn't make a visible flash. Works great the D A dope dealer moved out of his grandparents house......Or you could host an INGO meet and greet and invite all of us to it.....lol

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    If you decide to pursue this, no matter what you do, other than ignore them the best you can, you should prepare yourself for the possibility that things will get worse before they get better--if they get better. Just because they are "drug sellin' felons" doesn't mean they're stupid and won't be able to figure out who's bringing the heat down on them.

I like the suggestion of a game camera. At least, if they come on your property and cause damage, you might have a lever to use.

Mr. Beretta is on duty when I'm home and asleep. I have to watch the dogs go outside because they poisoned a dog of ours. I know they did but dad was too cheap to get an autopsy to prove it and get these people out. All he'd rather do is complain.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    If you live in your dad/stepmom's house, I think you need to work out your plan of action regarding this with them.

They only care when something happens for a few days and then they settle down. I'm the one who's called the landlord, I'm the one who's called the police, I'm the one who fixes the stuff they break, I'm the one who stays on dad to NOT keep his truck unlocked so he can get robbed (again). He just loves to keep the 5906 under the seat in plain view. :n00b:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Mr. Beretta is on duty when I'm home and asleep. I have to watch the dogs go outside because they poisoned a dog of ours. I know they did but dad was too cheap to get an autopsy to prove it and get these people out. All he'd rather do is complain.

Ah...neighbors....

Once upon a time we lived in a little house on a little cul-de-sac, with small yards, and the houses were all very close together. At that time, all of the homes were owner occupied except one. Since all the houses were very close together and on-street parking was tough, almost all the neighbors tried to be good neighbors and keep their cars parked in their own driveways. Well this one renter drove a monstrosity of van...he didn't like being a good neighbor and he would park this eye-sore in front of the neighbors' houses, infringing on driveway access, etc. We tried discussing this with them, dropping reminder hints, etc. All of which worked for short periods of time. But soon, the inconsideration would return.

One weekend they abandoned this vehicle in front of our house and left it for days. My wife became concerned that something was wrong and decided to call the police. Well as it turned out, the van/eye sore was not abandoned after all. After my wife discussed the frustrations we'd had with these folks the officer went down and had a talk with them. I'm not sure what he said, but the problem went away. They didn't like us so much after that, but that was OK.

I tell you this because there are sometimes indirect ways of affecting change...use your imagination. YMMV.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I hear you, I just hope you keep your lines of communication clear on your side of the fence. If I had someone living with me the last thing I would want is them escalating a situation with the neighbors without my knowledge.

I'm not saying to back off, I'm saying that you need to go through the proper channels and by my rules, if you are living in their house, they are driving the boat.

I had an issue with my parents' neighbor a few years ago and wanted to take a course of action. They explained to me that it was their house, their call and I showed my respect to them by swallowing my bile and playing by their plan.

Good luck and be safe whatever course of action you take.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    You might consider calling Crimestoppers. I know they are active after a crime but might be able to help proactively.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have a similar problem with my neighbors. The woman who owns the house is single, drives home drunk EVERY NIGHT. Her teenage daughters both have boyfriends in their twenties living in the home with them, at least one of them is a drug dealer. Her 25 year old son lives in a shed in her back yard, also a drug dealer. Winter is not bad but summer time cars parking in front of my house constantly, people in and out yelling and screaming all hours of the night, young teenagers in and out buying drugs. They also have 2 dogs that like to run loose and love my trash. After years of trying to fight this by calling police I gave up after one of the officers told me even when they did catch her son they would not do anything to him, turns out he was a snitch. No matter how much I complained none of the problems ever changed. I might get a light shot out with a bb-gun or something stolen out of my garage, made no difference. I am just waiting for the market to come back so I can sell and move. Anybody looking for a house in Elwood?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have a similar problem with my neighbors. The woman who owns the house is single, drives home drunk EVERY NIGHT. Her teenage daughters both have boyfriends in their twenties living in the home with them, at least one of them is a drug dealer. Her 25 year old son lives in a shed in her back yard, also a drug dealer. Winter is not bad but summer time cars parking in front of my house constantly, people in and out yelling and screaming all hours of the night, young teenagers in and out buying drugs. They also have 2 dogs that like to run loose and love my trash. After years of trying to fight this by calling police I gave up after one of the officers told me even when they did catch her son they would not do anything to him, turns out he was a snitch. No matter how much I complained none of the problems ever changed. I might get a light shot out with a bb-gun or something stolen out of my garage, made no difference. I am just waiting for the market to come back so I can sell and move. Anybody looking for a house in Elwood?

You're kinda new to this real estate, salesman, biz aren't you?:D

Top Bottom