• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Sylvain, thanks for putting up a view from 'the other side'. I'll be honest, I've little use for the French in general, but all I really know are the comments and opinions from Paris. I'm sure if I wer from another country and all I knew of America were what happend and what was thought in Washington DC and say New York City and Chicago, I'd probably hate Americans as well!

I used to spend a good amount of time on a motorcycle board that had a pretty good worldwide following. Lots of Europeans as well as Americans. I asked one year, "What does June 6th mean to you?" I was plesantly suprised at the responses. Most countries, especially ones who were occupied had a great appreciation for Americans and what happened on D-Day. Honestly, it sounded like they appreciated it much more than we here in the US do. I guess if we were the occupied country and the French and british stormed our beaches to help ridus of oppressors, we'd probably appreciate it more!

Thanks again,
    Doug K

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Saw a Nova special about the military cemetaries in Europe, and the Pacific. Quite bittersweet to understand how our graves of soldiers, sailors and airmen are cared for 60+yrs later. They also aired a story about letters from soldiers from all of our wars. From 1700s to present. Talk about eye opening and touching to your heart.
    I feel it is important to talk about the freedom we enjoy, and the dear cost of it, to your children and remember everyday, why we enjoy our freedom. Great posts.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sylvain, thanks for putting up a view from 'the other side'. I'll be honest, I've little use for the French in general, but all I really know are the comments and opinions from Paris. I'm sure if I wer from another country and all I knew of America were what happend and what was thought in Washington DC and say New York City and Chicago, I'd probably hate Americans as well!

I used to spend a good amount of time on a motorcycle board that had a pretty good worldwide following. Lots of Europeans as well as Americans. I asked one year, "What does June 6th mean to you?" I was plesantly suprised at the responses. Most countries, especially ones who were occupied had a great appreciation for Americans and what happened on D-Day. Honestly, it sounded like they appreciated it much more than we here in the US do. I guess if we were the occupied country and the French and british stormed our beaches to help ridus of oppressors, we'd probably appreciate it more!

Thanks again,
    Doug K

You are welcome Doug.Im glad you like the pictures.
    Most of Americans that I know who dont like the French are usually the ones that never been to France and never met anyone from France.
    It's also the same the other way around with the French that never been to the States.
    Im lucky to have friends and family in both countries so I dont have that problem.
    If you only know a country by what its government is doing it's sure that you will have a poor image of the country like you said.
    When im in the US I try to make people change their views on France just like I do the same for the US when im in France.
    It's not easy but I try because im proud to call both those countries "home".

That reminds me that I met a US veteran of WW2 a few years ago.
    I dont remenber why this gentleman approached me (I was at the library in South Bend) but he told me that he served twice in France during WW2.
    He was very happy to meet someone who really appreciates what he did and told me that it was the best years of his life.
    Im sure that like you said most Americans dont appreciate it as much as we Europeans do.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    didd you know the french flag was two hands in the air, just kidding! if you look at the amount of men that died during d-day, or some of the bloodly battles in the pacific island hopping, the daily death rate in some battles is more than the amount of died in either of the two current wars. The greatest generation our grandparents knew the cost would be high but was needed to win, (I still think we should have gone after Japan first, but that's just me). If we had these body counts today with this generation what would be their reaction?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom