• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I have not yet been to Normandy... I hope to get there at some point in my life.

A good friend of mine was in France a year ago. He said he didn't care much for Paris... he claimed the Parisians were a bit "too good" for Americans... but he said the closer you get to Normany the more that attitude changes. In Normandy, he said, Americans are loved.

He and his wife said their visit to Normandy was one of the most moving experiences of their lives.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    monument-grandcamp-maisy-national-guard-d-day.jpg

lafierex.jpg

100_2364.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sylvain, are there parts of the beeches that are off limits to people? also has anyone local ever dies from unexploded ordinance?

No you can go everywhere, the only parts off limit are just some dangerous parts near the cliffs.Only for safety reasons.
    Some bunkers who were on the cliffs have felt down and are now on the beach in some places.That's very impressive to see.
    Some are still about to fall and are just inches away from the cliff.
    It's a good thing nobody was on the beach when it felt.

Sometimes they find explosives and mines on the beach or in fields in the countryside.In that case they close the whole area depending on how big the bomb is.
    Nobody has died that im aware of.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That's one bunker im talking about.It's now on the edge of the cliff and will fall down in a few years as the cliff is moving back a few inches each year.
    I just hope I wont be parked there when it happens, I usually park just under it right where there is the blue car.

44044389.jpg

That what happend to this bunker on the beach of Quiberville, 10 minutes from where I live.

CIMG3178.jpg

It hasent been moved since its a historical monument now, and also its so damn heavy.
    It's impressive to see a huge block of concrete and steel laying on the beach like that.Some are even upside down because of the fall.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have not yet been to Normandy... I hope to get there at some point in my life.

A good friend of mine was in France a year ago. He said he didn't care much for Paris... he claimed the Parisians were a bit "too good" for Americans... but he said the closer you get to Normany the more that attitude changes. In Normandy, he said, Americans are loved.

He and his wife said their visit to Normandy was one of the most moving experiences of their lives.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Glad you like the pics.

Here in Normandy we dont really like the Parisians. :D
    It's a shame that the attitude of the French people towards Americans is most of the time judged by the attitude of Parisians towards Americans.
    You are right here Americans are very loved here.
    You just need to visit the cemeteries with all the flowers that the locals put ont he US graves.The American fallen soldiers are celebrated like menbers of their own family.They are treated like if they were at home (actually the land of the cemeteries belong to the US govt, it was given by France).
    It's very moving to see all those white crosses in those huge cemeteries.
    I visited a couple, among them the largest US military cemetery in the world (I think) in the East of France with more than 12 000 graves.

If anyone wants more informations on the region or whatnot just PM me.
    Not that im an expert on WW2 but I lived there for 24 years so I know the region and some of its history. :)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Those are amazing photos. Who knows what it laying under the water and soil in those areas, better left to rest. I'll make it there one of these days.

Thanks.Those are not my pictures but its what I see everyday. :)

Every year some "things" come back to the surface as the soil moves btw.
    Still more than 60 years ago you can see helmets, rifles, grenades, shells (that sometimes can still explode), military tags and such coming back to the surface.
    That tells you the scale of what happend here, some other the things are even from WW1 since most battles happend at the same place.
    You really have to visit to understand how HUGE it is.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    its one place I want to take my family in the next year or so. I hate most of europe so wanting to visit is a big testament of how important that place is to me.

:D lol
    Wow you only hate "most of Europe"?
    I thought your hate had a much bigger scale.

Im have no idea where I will be when you visit but I would be more than happy to welcome you and your family if I can.
    I hope you will learn to love this part of Europe anyway.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    :D lol
    Wow you only hate "most of Europe"?
    I thought your hate had a much bigger scale.

Im have no idea where I will be when you visit but I would be more than happy to welcome you and your family if I can.
    I hope you will learn to love this part of Europe anyway.

lol. dont feel bad, asia, africa, the middle east, especialy the dutch :D are included in that :):

thanks for the offer. I will hit you up if we do it. It would be awesome to have someone who is familiar with the area show us around.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    lol. dont feel bad, asia, africa, the middle east, especialy the dutch :D are included in that :):

thanks for the offer. I will hit you up if we do it. It would be awesome to have someone who is familiar with the area show us around.

Haha it would be quicker to do the list of the people you DONT hate. :D
    I bet its just your own name on a piece of paper. :laugh:

I dont feel bad.I have myself a thing or two for the british and some germans.

Like I say I dont know if I will be there.I plan on coming back to Indiana soon and staying there for a while.
    Even if I cant be in France by that time I would still be glad to help you with the planning of your trip if I can (places to visit, language, hotels or whatnot) . :yesway:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    To any of the WWII vets that might be reading these posts, I want to say thank you for all you have done for our republic and the example that you have set for us.

May we honor your sacrifice by preserving our republic, so much under attack both at home at abroad, by preserving her for our children and grandchildren as well as providing them with the values and tools necessary to preserve her for their children and grandchildren.

God bless.
    Well said!! There are darn few of those guys around anymore.
    My father, who was a veteran of the European theater, died two years ago, at 90. I always think of him when I read threads like this. (I still occasionally tear up,too..... not sayin' about this time......)

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    My father's cousin was killed on Omaha Beach after surviving North Africa and Italy. It's important that we remember the effect their courage and sacrifices have upon the entire world, even today.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom