• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Ok, well I have my ESEE 4 (may pick up an Izula this weekend), and I have a few Spyderco folders. I am new to the knife "snob" world, and I'm growing very addicted, VERY quickly.
    Now I want a Chopper and I have no clue what direction to go.

I am trying to decide between the following.

The Scrap Yard Sycko 711
    It has SR-101 steel and a 7 3/8" blade.
    Price point: Around $140.00
    sycko711.jpg

The Swamp Rat Rodent 9
    Again, SR-101 steel, but has a 9 1/2" blade.
    Price point: Around $200.00
    images

Or

The ESEE Junglaus
    Made of 1095 Carbon steel and a 10 1/2" blade.
    Price point: Around $160.00
    1331947047146606377010.jpeg

Currently I am leaning towards the Sycko 711, because I think the OAL and weight is more reasonable and I could still use it for tech work if I wasn't chopping. I don't know that I would come across something that it couldn't chop that the other two knives could. In a close second is the ESEE Junglaus because, A) I have one ESEE, why not more? :D ; B) I like the 1095 Carbon. The only problem I see is the Junglaus is SO BIG. I don't know if I would ever use it unless I was specifically going out to chop.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I've done enough buying and trying with guns.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    GBuck... I have both of the top two. I'll gladly let you check them out.

As far as a "Chopper" the Rodent 9 is a lot bigger. Rumor has it that there will be a SYKCO 911 (9" blade) that will be better suited. The 711 may work, but I think a 9" blade would work a lot better.

All good choices though.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Any of the above will work for you. Junglas was too big unless you need to chop.:dunno: I thought you were looking for a chopper according to your title.
    You have picked some nice choices.:D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would go with the ESEE (if you are only looking at those 3 models), for a chopper the weight and lenght are good things, sure it's big and it's not something you will carry everyday but if you go out in the woods you will be glad you have the biggest blade to do the work.
    As for the steel it's not a problem if you take care of it to prevent rust and such.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    So you have a Junglaus V8? Bring it on the 12th? :D

I do want it as a CHOPPER, but I like the idea of being able to use it multi purpose. I guess I would just carry the 4, and then have the Junglaus specifically for chopping? Do they make a back sheath like in The Book of Eli? That would be AWESOME!

So you recommend the Junglaus Sheila? Is that because you sell them? :D :stickpoke:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Is the 711 SR101? I thought it was SR77?

Of the 3, the Rodent 9 is pretty beastly. Plenty of meat in the knife and I'd love to chop with one first hand. About the only thing to factor in is if the finger ridge would fit you. It fits me fine in all 3 locations, but some people can't grip the knife right because the finger ridge is uncomfortable for them.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Is the 711 SR101? I thought it was SR77?

Of the 3, the Rodent 9 is pretty beastly. Plenty of meat in the knife and I'd love to chop with one first hand. About the only thing to factor in is if the finger ridge would fit you. It fits me fine in all 3 locations, but some people can't grip the knife right because the finger ridge is uncomfortable for them.

SYKCO 711

sycko711.jpg
    $139.95

Specs at a glance:
    Overall Length: 12.5"
    Blade Length: 7 3/8"
    Thickness: Approx: 1/4"
    Steel: SR-101 / 58-60 Rc
    Handle: Resiprene C

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    The one thing I like better about the Rodent 9 and my Tops over the Junglas is they are similar blade length and weight, but the blade isn't as tall/wide and has a smaller profile. I'm not sure if that matters for what you want though :dunno:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    The one thing I like better about the Rodent 9 and my Tops over the Junglas is they are similar blade length and weight, but the blade isn't as tall/wide and has a smaller profile. I'm not sure if that matters for what you want though :dunno:
    I've always thought the Junglaus looked pretty proportional, however, I thought the Rodent 9 looked like they blade was huge. The Tops looks too skinny to me. :laugh:

Maybe I just need to see them in person.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I've always thought the Junglaus looked pretty proportional, however, I thought the Rodent 9 looked like they blade was huge. The Tops looks too skinny to me. :laugh:

Maybe I just need to see them in person.

Yup, you just need to see 'em in person. We'll get them to you in a few weeks :yesway:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I did not recommend any knife thus far. Would I recommend a Junglas for a chopper of course :D I have seen it in action and I know it works but so would a Busse or a TOPS . Lots of them to choose from.

You have your ESEE lovers and your Busse lovers on here but you are still the one to decide.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I did not recommend any knife thus far. Would I recommend a Junglas for a chopper of course :D I have seen it in action and I know it works but so would a Busse or a TOPS . Lots of them to choose from.

You have your ESEE lovers and your Busse lovers on here but you are still the one to decide.
    I will be the first one to admit that I am usually brand loyal, and have a tendency to become a fan boi.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I am not attending Blade this year but Brad will.:D I have no idea what he will come back with for me without me being there. :rolleyes:
    It is the weekend after the Indy 1500 which is good.

Top Bottom