So I was butchering a deer last night...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I always try to save some money and butcher my own deer (costs $90 around here for processing). Well, my 4 kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9) wanted to watch me and see how it was done. So we all head out to the garage and get to work. The 2 boys thought it was great, my 8 year old doughter was about to puke, and my 9 year old daughter couldn't get enough of it.

As I was cutting, I showed them where the diferent cuts of meat come from. When we came to the chops, I told them it was kind of like a pork chop, just from a deer. At that moment, my 9 year old's eyes got really big and something obviously clicked in her head. She said "Daddy, can you get some BACON from a deer?" It's moments like these that make a daddy proud.

She's definitely a future INGO'er.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You can get just about any cut of meat from any 4-legged mammal.

Some animals develop musculature differently so that certain cuts are much more prominent on a cow than they are on a deer or a goat. But they still exist.

Same way with the skin/fat that bacon is made from. It's there on a deer, but isn't nearly as well formed as it is on our friend the pig.

So, yes you "can" have venison bacon. But you've really got to work rather hard to get it.

-J-

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You can get just about any cut of meat from any 4-legged mammal.

Some animals develop musculature differently so that certain cuts are much more prominent on a cow than they are on a deer or a goat. But they still exist.

Same way with the skin/fat that bacon is made from. It's there on a deer, but isn't nearly as well formed as it is on our friend the pig.

So, yes you "can" have venison bacon. But you've really got to work rather hard to get it.

-J-
    Yup.... the "belly" on a deer is almost non-existent. If you can tolerate 1/4" wide slices of bacon then go ahead, but I'll stick with pork.

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My oldest is in kindergarted, and I don't know what it is about bacon, but it's his favorite.

I know Archers Meat Packing in Greenwood also makes what they call Deer Bacon. Still got a lb of it from last years deer and it's yummie

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Venison Bacon - (a) 25# Batch

had some over the weekend and it was very good

Actually, it just occurred to me that bacon doesn't always have to come from the belly of the animal. There is something called "Buckboard Bacon" where a pork shoulder/boston butt is used to make bacon. So with that in mind, I supposed you could make bacon from any fatty cut of venison. However, you can't really make any type of bacon out of venison that will resemble the bacon you're used to seeing (striped belly meat).

Top Bottom