• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Would a peace officer please respond to this? I don't want to make the same mistake and throw peace officers in with the cops. Please ... give me hope that I will be respected, that I will not be beaten, that I will not be tazed, lied about or maliciously and vindictively ticketed for simply running afoul of any ordinance or for not bowing sufficienntly low enough to your badge. Anyone?

Dude, you need to get off your high horse. What part of my post did I indicate that I would not extend respect? At what point did I indicate that if you are found with a radar detector, you will "beaten, tased, lied about, or vindictively ticketed?" Heck, I'll be as polite as a peach, on a sunny day in Georgia, regardless of you getting a warning of citation.

The FACT of the matter is that people with radar detectors overwhelmingly have them so that they can exceed the posted speed limit. You'll find a black guy in the Klan quicker than you will a person that has a radar simply to be aware of police approaching so that they can ensure their safety at intersections. :rolleyes:

If you want to play the radar game, don't get all sensitive b/c an officer is more likely to write you a ticket b/c of it. Hell, aren't you less likely to get a ticket by having a radar? :dunno:

And what the heck is the "peace officer" thing? I'm a cop, copper button, police officer, LEO (Aries actually), the fuzz, bacon, flatfoot, donut eater, JBT, Bobbie, Da Man, pig, neck grinder, bad guy finder...

but I don't wear a cowboy hat and ride a horse. Go to Texas if you want a peace officer.

I don't expect anybody to "bow" to my position. I would like for them to understand their rights and use common sense. Common sense tells me, that if I'm speeding and have a radar detector, I'm more likely to get a ticket if stopped.... it's not rocket science.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've got a radar detector. It actually works quite well. Contrary to what most cops will tell you, a halfway decent detector WILL often alert you to them long before they'll clock you. You see, if you got a guy a half mile or a mile ahead of you, and a cop hits HIM with his radar, even if it's instant-on, you'll know about it in plenty of time to make sure you're not speeding when you get within range of his radar gun.

Laser is another story entirely. If you're hit with laser, and you're speeding, you're caught. NO ifs/ands/buts. Laser will only hit one car at a time. If your detector detects laser, it's already too late to do anything about it.

Radar detectors will also often alert you to OTHER vehicles on the road, such as firetrucks, ambulances... I've had mine go off for those vehicles. SOMETIMES those OTHER emergency vehicles will have radar installed on them specifically to alert people with radar detectors. At least I assume that's the reason why - otherwise why would they have it?

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    .... And what the heck is the "peace officer" thing? ... Go to Texas if you want a peace officer. ...

This is the heart of the problem with modern "law enforcement." The majority don't understand the difference and can only offer a snide retort.

I did see a post online from one that sort of gets it ....
    I began my career as a Police Officer and ended it as a Peace Officer. My concept of the job changed over 30 years. I went from planning on cleaning up the streets of all "bad guys" to trying to keep the peace a majority of the time. I grew much more tolerant of human foibles as I got older.

By the way, it looks like you don't appreciate being lumped in there with cops that would do all the things I mentioned. Sucks to get painted with a broad brush, don't it?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    A real conversation yesterday;

The phone rang and I answered it and asked whoever if I could help him.

"Yeah, did my Remington 700 come in yet?"

"Let me check...what's the name?"

"Name? It'll just smell like donuts."

"Why, is it coming from a cop?! :D "

"No, blondie...it's going to one!"

"OH! NOW I know who it's for...I'll check..."

So see there? It's entirely possible for the donuts to not only be IN the car, but accompanying great firepower. Hmm...I wonder if a donut and a rifle are what started the whole "one ragged hole" business... :):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJDQe3Zgxno&feature=player_embedded

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This is the heart of the problem with modern "law enforcement." The majority don't understand the difference and can only offer a snide retort.

I did see a post online from one that sort of gets it ....

Snide remark? Really? You are the one that implied that I was a "cop (negative conn.)," rather than "peace officer," in what is an obvious attempt to make it seem like I was a mindless automaton, devoid of common sense, and carrying out the bidding of our oppressive rulers.

Now, on to the "Peace Officer" issue. Indiana does not define the term, Texas has always, and still does. A Peace Officer, in other jurisdictions (again since Indiana doesn't define the term), can make reference to correctional officers, court officers, game wardens, fire marshals, and a variety of other non-flat foot occupations. It is an archaic term that is often improperly used. So in the purest sense, there isn't a single "peace officer" in the state of Indiana.

By the way, it looks like you don't appreciate being lumped in there with cops that would do all the things I mentioned. Sucks to get painted with a broad brush, don't it?

So if I'm getting this straight, you are comparing the generalization of a person who is in violation of the law, caught violating that law, has a piece of equipment that is, ok, "typically" used to avoid violating that law, with a person occupation? And that train of thought makes perfect sense to you?
    Dude I'm not even trying to

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Your second argument is basically that you get to decide what laws should apply to you so I'll leave that one alone.

Again, since I'm not a cop, I can't get out of a ticket that way, gotta find another way. Though years ago one of my tennis buddies was a very high-ranking officer in the Colorado Springs police force. I was complaining to him once over a beer about a ticket I got. He looked at me like I was stupid and said, "Why didn't you call me? I would have taken care of it."

But that's different than a radar detector.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Again, since I'm not a cop, I can't get out of a ticket that way, gotta find another way. Though years ago one of my tennis buddies was a very high-ranking officer in the Colorado Springs police force. I was complaining to him once over a beer about a ticket I got. He looked at me like I was stupid and said, "Why didn't you call me? I would have taken care of it."

But that's different than a radar detector.

:yesway: I can attest to the accuracy of your statements. I live near a stretch of road that is 30 MPH, and roughly 100 FEET before a stop sign it changes to 20 MPH. The police tend to pull people over within 10 feet of said 20 MPH sign.

I was on my way home one night, and happened to miss the 20 MPH sign. I was pulled over---you guessed it---about 15 feet past the 20 MPH sign. The police officer approached, started to say something, then noticed I was wearing my work coat with Department markings. She took a look at my license then said have a nice night and sent me on my way---the whole transaction didn't take more than 30 seconds---and that was with me informing her that I had a revolver on the front seat.

Most don't have the luxury of special treatment. It's been my experience that most people want to avoid being detained by a police officer. Who cares if someone has a radar detector---that's been deemed LEGAL for use in Indiana? I've never really understood why LEOs get such a stick up their butts about it---all I'm left with is that they don't like it when someone figures out a way to outsmart them. :dunno:

Would you care to explain why a person would own a radar detector?

For the same reason some of us indulge in FA firearms---because we CAN. As it's been deemed LEGAL in this state, it's nobody's business WHY we have one. Should you choose to be the epitome of petty and issue a citation immediately upon view of a radar detector...then that's on you. Hope this clears up the confusion.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I was complaining to him once over a beer about a ticket I got. He looked at me like I was stupid and said, "Why didn't you call me? I would have taken care of it."
    Did you file a complaint that your friend offered to fix tickets for you?

I was on my way home one night, and happened to miss the 20 MPH sign. I was pulled over---you guessed it---about 15 feet past the 20 MPH sign. The police officer approached, started to say something, then noticed I was wearing my work coat with Department markings. She took a look at my license then said have a nice night and sent me on my way...
    Did you file a complaint that the officer didn't write you the ticket?

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Snide remark? Really? You are the one that implied that I was a "cop (negative conn.)," rather than "peace officer," in what is an obvious attempt to make it seem like I was a mindless automaton, devoid of common sense, and carrying out the bidding of our oppressive rulers.

Now, on to the "Peace Officer" issue. Indiana does not define the term, Texas has always, and still does. A Peace Officer, in other jurisdictions (again since Indiana doesn't define the term), can make reference to correctional officers, court officers, game wardens, fire marshals, and a variety of other non-flat foot occupations. It is an archaic term that is often improperly used. So in the purest sense, there isn't a single "peace officer" in the state of Indiana.

So if I'm getting this straight, you are comparing the generalization of a person who is in violation of the law, caught violating that law, has a piece of equipment that is, ok, "typically" used to avoid violating that law, with a person occupation? And that train of thought makes perfect sense to you? Dude I'm not even trying to

First. I took a tone in my last post that was wrong. I'm sorry. I try not to say anything online that I wouldn't say to someone in person and I crossed that line.

Having said that, I don't see how I could explain any more clearly what I mean by peace officer. When I use that term in the context of this discussion, I am talking about a mindset as opposed to some legal definition. I've said it before, that the public perception of police officers will not improve until they start to think of themselves as peace officers instead of law enforcement. It's the mindset that will dictate how you approach your job and how you treat each and every person you meet. Please ... when you hear me say peace officer, think mindset instead of a legal definition of a baliff, sheriff or Texas Ranger.

I took issue with you (and the other post) on the premise that someone with a detector "gets thrown in with the lot" and "significantly" increases his chances of getting a ticket for owning something that is legal to own. I hope you would seriously pause, forget any real or perceived personal attacks by me (or anyone else online) and assess the scenario ... Two speeders, both over the limit by the same amount, same car, same age/sex, same excuse, same time/road/weather, etc. .... one has a radar detector and one does not. According to you, the one with the detector is assumed to be a habitual criminal that needs to be ticketed while the other driver has a better chance of getting a warning ... all because of a single item on the dash? How is this just? Would you be willing to concede that just maybe, some people keep detectors on their dash, not to habitually speed and get away with it but, rather to keep themselves honest realizing that they are human?

I think this could only be resolved in a face-to-face conversation where each of us could gauge not just what we say but how we say it. For now, let's just say we disagree and leave it at that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    First. I took a tone in my last post that was wrong. I'm sorry. I try not to say anything online that I wouldn't say to someone in person and I crossed that line.

Having said that, I don't see how I could explain any more clearly what I mean by peace officer. When I use that term in the context of this discussion, I am talking about a mindset as opposed to some legal definition. I've said it before, that the public perception of police officers will not improve until they start to think of themselves as peace officers instead of law enforcement. It's the mindset that will dictate how you approach your job and how you treat each and every person you meet. Please ... when you hear me say peace officer, think mindset instead of a legal definition of a baliff, sheriff or Texas Ranger.

I took issue with you (and the other post) on the premise that someone with a detector "gets thrown in with the lot" and "significantly" increases his chances of getting a ticket for owning something that is legal to own. I hope you would seriously pause, forget any real or perceived personal attacks by me (or anyone else online) and assess the scenario ... Two speeders, both over the limit by the same amount, same car, same age/sex, same excuse, same time/road/weather, etc. .... one has a radar detector and one does not. According to you, the one with the detector is assumed to be a habitual criminal that needs to be ticketed while the other driver has a better chance of getting a warning ... all because of a single item on the dash? How is this just? Would you be willing to concede that just maybe, some people keep detectors on their dash, not to habitually speed and get away with it but, rather to keep themselves honest realizing that they are human?

I think this could only be resolved in a face-to-face conversation where each of us could gauge not just what we say but how we say it. For now, let's just say we disagree and leave it at that.

agreed, and if you took anything I said the wrong way, please don't. I enjoy cheerful banter, and if everybody agreed with me, this place would suck. :yesway:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Did you file a complaint that your friend offered to fix tickets for you?

Yes. At the time he was in charge of the traffic division in Colorado Springs, so I filed a complaint with him. I think I said, "Dude! You'd really fix a ticket? That's not cool."

Of course, I was in my early thirties at the time. I guess I told a white lie when I said it was a "few" years ago.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Good for you. :yesway:

I'm sure though...him being a cop...nothing came of your complaint.

You mean the complaint I made to him about him that would have ended up on his desk even if I had made it to someone else which of course I wouldn't, because that's petty.

Just like giving a guy a ticket to whom you were going to give a warning, because he has a radar detector.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    You mean the complaint I made to him about him that would have ended up on his desk even if I had made it to someone else which of course I wouldn't, because that's petty.
    But would it have been petty if the guy wasn't your friend? Why should someone get a break because of who they know?

Just like giving a guy a ticket to whom you were going to give a warning, because he has a radar detector.
    From now on...tickets for everyone. :D

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    They shouldn't. But you'll never hang a snitch jacket on me, copper.
    :):

Sorry I can't rep you again.

images

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    For the same reason some of us indulge in FA firearms---because we CAN. As it's been deemed LEGAL in this state, it's nobody's business WHY we have one. Should you choose to be the epitome of petty and issue a citation immediately upon view of a radar detector...then that's on you. Hope this clears up the confusion.

They are legal to own, you're correct. You have every right to own one, and an officer has every right to issue you a speeding ticket if you're caught speeding. You play by the rules, the officer plays by the rules. If a person's ownership of a detector is simply "because they can" and not because they intend to exceed the speed limit then there's little to worry about anyway because they won't be stopped for speeding in the first place. Calling someone "petty" for following logical conclusions doesn't seem to make much sense either. I haven't run into many radar detectors myself, but I understand why others would feel the way they do.

Also, you do realize the utter hypocrisy of your argument, right?

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    They are legal to own, you're correct. You have every right to own one, and an officer has every right to issue you a speeding ticket if you're caught speeding. You play by the rules, the officer plays by the rules. If a person's ownership of a detector is simply "because they can" and not because they intend to exceed the speed limit then there's little to worry about anyway because they won't be stopped for speeding in the first place. Calling someone "petty" for following logical conclusions doesn't seem to make much sense either. I haven't run into many radar detectors myself, but I understand why others would feel the way they do.

Also, you do realize the utter hypocrisy of your argument, right?

It's good to know you've never let a fellow officer off because he was a cop, nor have you ever gotten out of a ticket because you are an officer.

It's always nice to meet someone who is morally and logically consistent.

Top Bottom