• ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    IMO, the laws are all wrong.

People weaving in and out of traffic are far more dangerous than someone traveling at a high rate of speed on an open road.

Blowing through stop signs in a residential neighborhood is also more dangerous than doing 45 in a posted 35 4 lane divided highway.

I just don't understand the reasoning for some things I guess.

I was watching a police show today ... (i think) police women of maracopa county?? high speed chase, for a traffic violation, and this deputy called out she was at speeds of 100, and then it showed they were on a city street :n00b::xmad::xmad::xmad: wizzing past cars. i cannot stand crap like that! I think if the police push a suspect to 100 MPH they are just as guilty if someone dies. let the guy go and catch him later. i was really ticked.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I was watching a police show today ... (i think) police women of maracopa county?? high speed chase, for a traffic violation, and this deputy called out she was at speeds of 100, and then it showed they were on a city street :n00b::xmad::xmad::xmad: wizzing past cars. i cannot stand crap like that! I think if the police push a suspect to 100 MPH they are just as guilty if someone dies. let the guy go and catch him later. i was really ticked.

Agreed. There are few cases where a high-speed pursuit is justified.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I think if the police push a suspect to 100 MPH they are just as guilty if someone dies.
    Let me get this straight... It was the po-po's fault this guy was going +100 mph?

:lmfao:

Oh...****...I'm sorry. You were serious?

I do agree though. There should be restrictions on high-speed chases. I don't ever want to see an innocent person get harmed.

If the suspect flees.... just blow the ***** up.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Eh, everybody has a bad day & nobody is perfect. No rights were violated & you didn't go to jail for reckless driving. Sounds like it could have been WAY worse.

Now you say you are going to contact a LAWYER? For someone being "rude"? :rolleyes: What exactly are you going to sue them for? They didn't violate any of your rights. You actually committed the infraction you got pulled over for. She cut you slack on what the end result COULD have been. You didn't suffer a "loss" that you can be compensated for. So, again, what are you going to sue them for? :dunno:

If you feel her attitude was over the top, then file a complaint.

In the mean time, stop driving like a moron.

As to the issue of speed limits:

It's not just YOU who will be hurt if you are involved in a high speed collision. If it was then have at it. Far be it for me to stop you from killing yourself if that's what you want but I reserve the right to make sure I give myself the best odds that you don't take me with you.

There was a Mythbusters episode last year that showed the effects of impacts at different rates of speed.

The first was an impact at 50mph. It was bad but at least it was survivable.

The second was at 100 mph. The car was basically flattened. Nobody would likely have survived, even those on the back seat. It really was that bad.

If you haven't seen it I recommend it. I made my kids watch it & they were truly impressed by it. I hope it made them think twice.

As a matter of fact I'll post the link:

MythBusters: 100 MPH Crash Video at YourDiscovery.com

The point of this is if you are traveling at 80-90 mph & hit somebody head on for whatever reason (lose control, they misjudge your extremely excessive speed & turn in front of you, etc) YOU have likely killed them.

There is a reason why there are reckless driving laws. Just like there are reasons for laws against pointing a gun at somebody.

It's really dangerous & stupid.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    ...FWIW-A radar detector is a automatic ticket with me. That tells me the person has the habit of speeding. Why else have one? ...

Wow. Good logic. I suppose heat-packin' gun nuts just want to kill people. I mean, why else would anyone carry a weapon? They must be in the habit of shooting people, right? What do you do when you meet one of them, shoot them on sight?

A person is significantly more likely to get a citation from me if they have a radar detector. It may not be your purpose, in having one, to break the law.... with that super duper intelligent piece of equipment you have, but for 99% of the others, it is. You're just going to be thrown in with the rest of the lot.

Would a peace officer please respond to this? I don't want to make the same mistake and throw peace officers in with the cops. Please ... give me hope that I will be respected, that I will not be beaten, that I will not be tazed, lied about or maliciously and vindictively ticketed for simply running afoul of any ordinance or for not bowing sufficienntly low enough to your badge. Anyone?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Wow. Good logic. I suppose heat-packin' gun nuts just want to kill people. I mean, why else would anyone carry a weapon? They must be in the habit of shooting people, right? What do you do when you meet one of them, shoot them on sight?

Would a peace officer please respond to this? I don't want to make the same mistake and throw peace officers in with the cops. Please ... give me hope that I will be respected, that I will not be beaten, that I will not be tazed, lied about or maliciously and vindictively ticketed for simply running afoul of any ordinance or for not bowing sufficienntly low enough to your badge. Anyone?

Would you care to explain why a person would own a radar detector?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Would you care to explain why a person would own a radar detector?

I don't own one but perhaps I might get one so I could avoid a ticket in case I missed a reduced speed sign.

Where I live there are roads where I might travel ten miles or more at a time and see one or two cars. Some of those areas have spots where for no discernable reason the speed is reduced by ten or fifteen miles an hour. A couple of times a month, a county sheriff sits and hides at one or another of those spots and collects taxes.

A radar detector would help me avoid that silliness.

Oh, and also I'm not a cop so I can't get out of a ticket that way.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    To find the best donuts? :dunno:

:D

No, no, no. You gotta get pulled over so you can ask the cop where the best donuts are. ;)

To detect radar.

Why would you care?

I don't own one but perhaps I might get one so I could avoid a ticket in case I missed a reduced speed sign.

Where I live there are roads where I might travel ten miles or more at a time and see one or two cars. Some of those areas have spots where for no discernable reason the speed is reduced by ten or fifteen miles an hour. A couple of times a month, a county sheriff sits and hides at one or another of those spots and collects taxes.

A radar detector would help me avoid that silliness.

Oh, and also I'm not a cop so I can't get out of a ticket that way.

So, hypothetically, dross has his radar detector hooked up and he's cruising along, he may have missed a reduced speed sign, so when the radar detector goes off what does he slow down to? It's hard to slow down to the speed limit if you're claiming you don't know what it is. Why not just keep doing what you're doing and explain it to the cop since you may get pulled over anyway if you're still speeding?

Your second argument is basically that you get to decide what laws should apply to you so I'll leave that one alone.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    No, no, no. You gotta get pulled over so you can ask the cop where the best donuts are. ;)

A real conversation yesterday;

The phone rang and I answered it and asked whoever if I could help him.

"Yeah, did my Remington 700 come in yet?"

"Let me check...what's the name?"

"Name? It'll just smell like donuts."

"Why, is it coming from a cop?! :D "

"No, blondie...it's going to one!"

"OH! NOW I know who it's for...I'll check..."

So see there? It's entirely possible for the donuts to not only be IN the car, but accompanying great firepower. Hmm...I wonder if a donut and a rifle are what started the whole "one ragged hole" business... :):

Top Bottom