• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I've seen the Safariland ALS 6378 and 7378 mentioned in this thread. These are superb holsters (I have both). My Glock 19 rides in a 7378 every day and I'm totally comfortable carrying it with one in the pipe that way. Congrats to StunnedMonkey for getting training and a good holster. Your anxiety will diminish and only return when you are without your EDC. This won't take long. You'll find lots of good advice and helpful folks on here so don't hesitate to ask.
    Another BIG +1 for this holster. I have the one that lets me carry my TLR-1 with my Glock 19

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Don't hide them from your kids. Keeping them locked up is good practice, but teach your kids to be responsible too. Take away the mystery. If their old enough to walk, they're old enough to learn.

I'll second that. I know firsthand that mystery breeds unauthorized small handed coonfingering, and after exposure the urge to touch goes away.

Bravo for you having your guns in a speed safe and not TOO readily accessible.

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I'll second that. I know firsthand that mystery breeds unauthorized small handed coonfingering, and after exposure the urge to touch goes away.

Bravo for you having your guns in a speed safe and not TOO readily accessible.

Yeah, I can open the safe in about 2 seconds (non-panic mode obviously). It's a trade off that we simply need to make. It's that, or no weapon at all.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just carry, folks... Any way you want, at least here in Indiana with our little pink permission slips. Use the sticky to argue the merits of OC vs. CC, not in here.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Congrats for your first carry! Lot of good ideas in the thread, and you are becoming confident. Since CCW is getting really popular, you do need to consider a couple of spare holsters, in the event you may lose the primary use of your favored arm/hand.

I took a fall, ripped a rotator cuff, so primary was out, went to left hand carry. Did not own a left hand holster. Bought a couple of cheapie-change the "outer clip" around kind,
    and eventually solved the issue. Another suggestion had been to have a smaller "off duty" firearm, hence a backup, so a 5 shot J frame S&W was added to the self defense toolbox. Bases covered, trained with both, and now after healing, use a G19/ S&W 442, as a carry combo. Add a tactical knife next.

Don't limit your good deeds to strong hand only defense. It does take both to survive.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Congrats for your first carry! Lot of good ideas in the thread, and you are becoming confident. Since CCW is getting really popular, you do need to consider a couple of spare holsters, in the event you may lose the primary use of your favored arm/hand.

I took a fall, ripped a rotator cuff, so primary was out, went to left hand carry. Did not own a left hand holster. Bought a couple of cheapie-change the "outer clip" around kind,
    and eventually solved the issue. Another suggestion had been to have a smaller "off duty" firearm, hence a backup, so a 5 shot J frame S&W was added to the self defense toolbox. Bases covered, trained with both, and now after healing, use a G19/ S&W 442, as a carry combo. Add a tactical knife next.

Don't limit your good deeds to strong hand only defense. It does take both to survive.

Exactly. As a lefty for instance its VERY hard to engage a perp standing beside my drivers side window using my strong hand. :dunno:

dmonsche

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    I apologize you do or don't agree? You purchased a small hard to shoot gun and replaced it with a larger more practical gun.
    I do agree. Sorry, was on the iPhone and didn't realize I typed now instead of more.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The only people that are likely to ever notice are other gun owners. As you begin to increase your awareness now, you will start to realize how oblivious most people are in this world. They walk around with glazed over eyes completely unaware of what is going on around them.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    The only people that are likely to ever notice are other gun owners. As you begin to increase your awareness now, you will start to realize how oblivious most people are in this world. They walk around with glazed over eyes completely unaware of what is going on around them.

This is very true. I've noticed that since I started carrying that I'm always looking for others carrying and my sense of awareness has increased a great deal. Sad to say but just a few short weeks ago I was one of those people who walk around with glazed over eyes and not knowing what exactly was transpiring around me.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Exactly. As a lefty for instance its VERY hard to engage a perp standing beside my drivers side window using my strong hand. :dunno:

I began trying to find a place for my included right handed paddle holster with my XDm in my truck (useless to a lefty). There is no good place for it on my left side. I have, for now, placed it in between my driver seat and my middle seat (70/30 spit bench). I'm thinking about bolting it to my door where there is a tray, but it's close to where my leg is and requires quite a reach to get to it. I think I am going to begin firing and training with my right hand just to become familiar with an off-hand draw and fire.

I actually went to a buddy's tonight and tucked my unloaded and unholstered firearm in my waistband just to get a feel for it being there. He never noticed it until I said something. I continually felt it there and was fidgeting with it trying to find a comfortable spot. I was very surprised he never saw it. This is beginning to make me thing I may be able to pull of carrying my full size XDm .40.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I remember the first couple of times I carried. I could have sworn that everybody could see it and that there would be police involved at some point. The really odd thing was the feeling that I was doing something wrong. I was in my 40s when I started carrying and the first couple of times I carried, it felt the same as if I were shoplifting or something. Then I carried again and started to notice that nobody cared. It took a couple of months before it became second nature and now, years later, it's the complete reverse. If I'm out in public without the means of defending myself or others, I feel like I'm shirking my duty somehow. Now, not carrying brings the same feeling I would get if I saw an old woman drop her groceries and just stepped over them and kept walking.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    I remember the first couple of times I carried. I could have sworn that everybody could see it and that there would be police involved at some point. The really odd thing was the feeling that I was doing something wrong. I was in my 40s when I started carrying and the first couple of times I carried, it felt the same as if I were shoplifting or something. Then I carried again and started to notice that nobody cared. It took a couple of months before it became second nature and now, years later, it's the complete reverse. If I'm out in public without the means of defending myself or others, I feel like I'm shirking my duty somehow. Now, not carrying brings the same feeling I would get if I saw an old woman drop her groceries and just stepped over them and kept walking.

This is is probably the best analogy I've heard yet. It makes me look forward to the time when I will feel uneasy about not having the means to defend myself/my family. Hopefully that will come sooner rather than later for me.

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I remember the first couple of times I carried. I could have sworn that everybody could see it and that there would be police involved at some point.

That's funny, because I had that same feeling. Had I run across any LEO's on my jaunt I'd probably have dropped to the floor, went all spread eagle, and surrendered right there. They'd have though I was nuts, of course.

Obviously I'm exaggerating. Sort of.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I started carrying back in October. I had the same experience, more or less. Though because it was cold in October as it is now, it was real easy to conceal my 4566TSW which is -not- a small carry gun. There are larger, but this thing is heavy and large. It works quite well in my Galco Kingtuck holster.

I remember one warm evening I could leave the house without a coat on. I walked into town to get some food, wearing bluejeans and just a button up shirt. I was nervous walking down main street, thinking my gun could be seen with the extra layer I normally had on removed. Seen or not, I don't know. I went and got some food to go from the local greasy burger place on Main street and walked back to my house.

Now I've gotten a much smaller, more easily concealed and more 'practical' carry gun recruit (Kahr CM9). I say recruit because I may need to send it back to Kahr as there is some polymer related issues with it (It can happen, bad batch of frames perhaps) but my mid-to-full sized 45 is going to be replaced with a slim, single stack and easily concealed 9mm for warm weather carry.

As others have said, you'll go to leave your house and before stepping out do the whole, 'Cell phone, keys, wallet, gun' thing soon.

Worse case scenario is someone will see it, and that's not a crime by itself.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    It's probably a bad thing to become too comfortable while carrying.....You can't anticipate every situation but it's good to talk about it and get your mind in the right place.

Eventually, this is one thing you need to watch out for. I carry every day, all day, everywhere I go. It has become such a normal part of my day, that I rarely think about it anymore. The danger there is, I have kids in school, and can't forget when I'm going by the school for something! Hasn't happened yet, thank God! (Uh-oh, I mentioned God...hope I don't get the "Ban-Hammer")

Top Bottom