• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Congratulations. Like everyone else said, it is weird at first, but soon it will be weird to not carry. You are correct to be extra careful when drawing and holstering, I try to be extra careful when holstering. I make sure that no loose flap of clothing is sticking down in the holster and I make double sure to keep my finger off the trigger.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    You know, that never occurred to me. I keep both my handguns in a gunvault next to the bed (we have kids) but I never considered that I could put the holstered gun in the safe rather than removing it.

Don't hide them from your kids. Keeping them locked up is good practice, but teach your kids to be responsible too. Take away the mystery. If their old enough to walk, they're old enough to learn.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Actually, the most uncomfortable part was holstering and unholstering the loaded weapon. I'd practiced many times with an empty weapon, but today was the first time I done it while loaded. Slightly disconcerting.

Today I was using a Safariland 6378 OWB. For warmer weather I may look at an IWB, maybe a Mintotaur Mtac?

Safariland and Minotar Mtac are good holsters (I use an MTAC for OC OWB occasions). Check out the offerings from High Noon, too. I use them. Good equipment. They have something for just about every known pistol.

Product Line

They make good belts, too.

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Don't hide them from your kids. Keeping them locked up is good practice, but teach your kids to be responsible too. Take away the mystery. If their old enough to walk, they're old enough to learn.

I have two high school age girls. They've both handled the unloaded pistols, and we're planning on teaching them to safely shoot thus summer...after the weather turns better and we've (my wife and I) have more time with the guns ourselves.

My fear with our kids is (1) they have friends around, and teens are teens. I don't care who you are. And (2) teens (yeah, girls) are bundles of psycho drama. Everything is the end of the world with teen girls. You hate to think such things but I'd never be able to live with myself if one of them purposely hurt themselves with an unlocked gun of mine. Sure, they could hurt themselves lots of ways...but it ain't gonne be with my guns.

So yeah, we're going to teach them to shoot, and to be safe. But those guns are going to be locked up when I'm not using them.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I don't blame you. I agree that if there's anyone in the house you don't know and trust, they should be locked up.

I'm fairly new to carrying also, and I have an inside-waistband holster. At first I was afraid that every time I sat down or bent over, the gun would go off. It's a lot more comfortable now. I've found the "sweet spot" (about 2:00-2:30 just in front of my hip bone) where it feels just right.

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    By the way, I've received a couple of PM's from this thread. I can't respond as I don't yet have 50 posts. But be assured I've read and appreciate them.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Monkey, congrats and I'm glad, in a way, to hear of this uneasiness.

My wife and I just received our LTCH permit last week. I don't have a good carry gun or holster yet, but as we went out on the town yesterday, I brought the gun along with me in the car. I tucked her (XDm .40 4.5") between the seat and console and let her ride. It was kind of nice knowing it was there. Every time I would see a LEO, I'd have a little flutter in my heartbeat just because it's not natural for me yet to have that loaded firearm legally.

However, as I continue my carry gun/holster search, I get the same uneasy feeling you speak of. The questions of "will somebody see it?" or "I hope this thing doesn't go off" keep me anxious as I near closer to my first time carrying. I've probably put 700 rounds through my XDm and feel very comfortable with it, but strapping one to my waist and going to Target needs another level of comfort.

Hopefully, my time reading here will help ease some of my tension. It certainly helps seeing your view of your first time. I thank you, sir.

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I've probably put 700 rounds through my XDm and feel very comfortable with it, but strapping one to my waist and going to Target needs another level of comfort.

I know exactly what you mean. That's the reason I chose about the least threatening situation I could think of...a Sunday afternoon at a suburban Target and grocery store. I realize that things can happen anywhere anytime, but if you gotta pick something this seemed as unlikely a trouble situation as any. If I'd chosen to carry the first time at the hole in the wall restaurant we like out south after dark I'd probably have wet myself.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Nick an XDm sounds like a great carry gun to me! Get a good belt and holster. I also go with the untucked buton down shirt as a cover garment.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Actually, the most uncomfortable part was holstering and unholstering the loaded weapon. I'd practiced many times with an empty weapon, but today was the first time I done it while loaded. Slightly disconcerting.

When holstering your sidearm, you are finished shooting and if a threat existed, it should now be a non issue. ESPECIALLY with the Glock, or any other safe-action pistol or revolver, please just stop for a second as the muzzle centers over the holster. Just stop and confirm your finger is OUTSIDE of the trigger guard. This is how nearly everyone ends up shooting themselves in the leg! The weapon won't seat properly when your trigger finger bridges the top of the holster so what do you do? Continue looking downrange at all your good work and give the weapon a good solid push. You can probably visualize what happens next...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, I know. So what. My background...I've only been a gun owner for a few weeks, despite being 52 years old. I've never been anti gun, I've just never owned one. In the last few weeks I've taken two different classes and fired 800-1000 rounds at the range.

So I decided today that I'd try carrying to see what it felt like. I CC'd on a jaunt to Target, Walgreens, and Kroger. I admit that I felt very self conscious despite the fact that between the long shirt and winter coat there was zero chance anyone could possibly have known I was carrying even if they were inclined to be looking. I did find myself scanning the locations searching for "the most dangerous person in the room." It was probably me.

Also, since I was carrying a Glock with a chambered round I kept waiting for it to discharge on its own and blow a hole in my keg. Oddly, this did not happen.

In any event, the whole experience lasted only an hour or so and I was vaguely uncomfortable and sort of relieved to get home. Not sure if that's to be expected or not. I'll give it more goes for some short trips. Baby steps, I guess.

I'll add my support when I say welcome to the club. As others have already said, what you've experienced I think most all of us did. You don't have to worry about a Glock blowing up while carrying it though...they only blow up when you shoot them. :D

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I know exactly what you mean. That's the reason I chose about the least threatening situation I could think of...a Sunday afternoon at a suburban Target and grocery store. I realize that things can happen anywhere anytime, but if you gotta pick something this seemed as unlikely a trouble situation as any. If I'd chosen to carry the first time at the hole in the wall restaurant we like out south after dark I'd probably have wet myself.

As I stood in line at the Walmart on East Washington (hardly set foot in that place), I was wishing I had it on me and not just in the car. The East side over here has some special citizens.

Nick an XDm sounds like a great carry gun to me! Get a good belt and holster. I also go with the untucked buton down shirt as a cover garment.

I contemplated it... I tend to wear tighter fitting clothing and the size of the full size XDm is just a tad too much I feel. I am thinking about going ahead and getting a Crossbreed Supertuck for her and trying it out while I search for a decently priced XDs 9MM. Ultimately, I think the XDm in winter and XDs in Summer is my goal.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    XDs is a fine small gun. The problem I have with full size guns is the grip is to long. If I carry in a holster similar to a supertuck it is positioned at 4oclock on my body. The grip sticks out. If carry a full size gun I use an outside waistband holster that I can more easily reposition on my belt. I do carry a full size gun frequently.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I don't blame you. I agree that if there's anyone in the house you don't know and trust, they should be locked up.

I'm fairly new to carrying also, and I have an inside-waistband holster. At first I was afraid that every time I sat down or bent over, the gun would go off. It's a lot more comfortable now. I've found the "sweet spot" (about 2:00-2:30 just in front of my hip bone) where it feels just right.

That is the same for me as well.

Good for you though Monkey. It sounds as though you are doing everything right, but just need to get used to carrying:yesway:

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    I also just very recently started carrying and I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who felt this way. I was just to chicken to post it!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My wife and I just received ourLTCH permit last week. I don't have a good carry gun or holster yet, but as we went out on the town yesterday, I brought the gun along with me in the car. I tucked her (XDm .40 4.5") between the seat and console and let her ride. It was kind of nice knowing it was there. Every time I would see a LEO, I'd have a little flutter in my heartbeat just because it's not natural for me yet to have that loaded firearm legally.
    I hope it's holstered while it's stuck between the seats. I also advise against leaving it unsecured in the car while you're inside shopping. It's much safer to have it secured on your person than loose in your car.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I hope it's holstered while it's stuck between the seats. I also advise against leaving it unsecured in the car while you're inside shopping. It's much safer to have it secured on your person than loose in your car.

Yes and I used the XD supplied pistol lock to tie it into a seat mount, out of sight.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I also just very recently started carrying and I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who felt this way. I was just to chicken to post it!

No reason to be chicken. Again quite normal. Probably why so many new gun owners buy little pistols. They want to carry a gun and don't want it to be seen. I have noticed as people gain experience they start to transition back to larger guns.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Congratulations! Won't be long until you won't even notice the weight of the gun/ammo combo (if good quality belt/holster is used!).

Top Bottom