So... I almost bought a LLAMA 1911 today....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrianX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think I really needed someone to slap some sense into me and tell me that $225 + tax was waaaaayy to much for that heap of junk! (I'll save for something with proper internals)

It was a doublestack model too (IX-D); sitting at a pawn shop, wouldn't even let me see the trigger pull... :/

If you had to pay for a used, worn down almost-1911, how much would you pay?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    2009-08-10-Rio-Llama.jpg

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Llama makes 1911's?

I knew they made something that sorta looks like a 1911 (if you weren't wearing glasses, anyway).

Always thought Colt made 1911's. Everything else is just a clone. :D

Learn something new every day....

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    1911s have no decocking lever. They merely have the thumb safety that will only engage when the hammer is cocked. The only way to "decock" it is by pulling the trigger.

If it was all ratty and beat up I don't blame you for passing on it. If it was in good shape I'd be quite tempted at that price even though I share your reservations about parts interchangabilty.

BrianX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Derp.
    Wait, that's how I did it before... [Man, has it been a while for me! lol]

They didn't even know which size magazine it was either, they just guessed it was the 13rd one. If I'm at the range, would one of these even make it to the end of all those rounds w/o an FTE?

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Hard to say. I'd imagine if the internals were in good shape and the mags were decent you would be GTG. If it was beat to all hell, well, maybe not. I've read on a couple forums that they are hit and miss - it seems like some people have high praise and others, well, aren't so fond of them.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    My Llama is certainly my best of the 3 as it is the only one that has never FTF and it can shoot any ammo with no issue to date. Had it for over 8 years now with no issue. Sorry to hear there is such a bad rep for them. Did you know the Spanish police carried the Llama .45 as a duty weapon for a long time? Not saying they are the best by any means. But junk? No way. Not in my experience with my own.

Last edited:

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    Yeah, I say pass on the Llama.
    Please post the location of your find so that I can go check it out ASAP....I mean so we can all avoid this place like the plague. :):

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I have 3 1911's. Springfield, Kimber, and a llama. My Llama is certainly my best of the 3 as it is the only one that has never FTF and it can shoot any ammo with no issue to date. Had it for over 8 years now with no issue. Sorry to hear there is such a bad rep for them. Did you know the Spanish police carried the Llama .45 as a duty weapon for a long time? Not saying they are the best by any means. But junk? No way. Not in my experience with my own.

:n00b:

BrianX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    lol, you don't say do ya? But my little self trying to CCW this thing? (5'07" 145lbs, maybe...? lol)

I thought I had my Location set, but it's in Terre Haute, IN; the Pawn It on Wabash!

AFAIK, (not much...) it looks to be in alright shape though, I told them I was going to commit to buying it, so it might be off of the sales floor, ATM. I really want to take a look at the firing pin before dropping the funds on it.

BrianX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm really wanting a Bersa UC (9mm or .45), but so far they are unfindable! Urrrrgghhh... Decisions decisions... IX-D or UC45? lol

I'll let it loose; I'd rather have someone here at INGO take it instead of making a sort-of hasty decision.

There was also a Model 22c (Gen 3?) for ~ $400 in the same location.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Yes, it would have performed flawlessly so that you could enjoy that warm fuzzy feeling and brag about it to all of your buddies. Then the next trip to the range.........................You did the right thing!

Top Bottom