• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I urge you NOT to give up on our "American Experiment" as long as there is life remaining in our nation. Indeed the problems are many but even today, where would you go if you could choose anywhere else in the world to live? Even today where do people from every other nation want to come? It's here!

It's so easy to say, "what can I do, I'm only one.". But if our nation's founders had thought that way we'd still be British subjects. Get involved in your community, your church, your local schools, make a difference somewhere. Vote, not your pocketbook but your conscience!

Will it get worse? In my opinion, probably. Is there no hope? I'm still optimistic.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    Since when based on what data?...context is crucial to this statement...most contexts of which I am aware disallow agreement with your conclusion.

Since the founding of the country? Since the 60s? Since the 40s? Since the 90s? Based on Census Bureau and IRS data.

The only thing it is down over is the past 4 years, but that has happened before and will happen again regardless of who is in charge and which web sites agree with their philosophy of governance.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I normally read these posts, but rarely post, as I don't have the answers. Other than you suck, no you suck, I'm right, show me the proven statistics, etc. do any of you have any answers, on what we can do to fix this mess?

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    WE DID NOT DO THIS TO OURSELVES, real americans did not do this. .

you're absolutely wrong. WE, yes ALL of us, caused an economic downturn, and we did it with our wallets.
    Americans want three things economically -
    high wages
    quality product
    low prices.

you can ONLY get ONE, and by demanding all three it has allowed other markets to flourish. by far and wide, americans choose only what affects them in the short term - low prices and high wages. you simply can't sustain a business model on that.

this opens the door for emerging markets, like china and india. they produce the products for cheap, and by FAR are they a cheap product. flash forward a couple decades and bam, all manufacturing jobs are GONE. what was once a thriving community that took care of themselves, is now a global spiderweb.

here's the problem with that - because of low foreign quality, regulations have to be made. IE, can't paint kids toys with lead paint, etc. every market has to play by the same rules.

to boil it down, you can't have a global economy WITHOUT a global government.

bigger isn't better. in biology, the most simple organism is the one most likely to survive. the more complex and sensitive something is, the greater chance some minute thing can crash it down.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    You guy's suck. :xmad:

The OP is obviously hurting right now. He's here for comfort and all you're doing is starting up your agendas and theories again. It's not helping.

OP - What you need to do is turn off the TV, the radio and the internet.
    Sit in a chair on the patio and enjoy a nice cool Lobotomy.
    This should clear your head and give you the peace of mind you're looking for.
    You'll be smiling in no time.

The entire INGO Political Section could benefit from this as well. You're all a bunch of Debbie Downers. :(

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    "Real" Americans? That quip, as well as the rest of your post speaks volumes.
    What's funny, is that you have a very poor grasp of the progression of our political parties. The "Republicans" that freed the slaves, would be considered "Democrats" today.... Ya know, the whole exodus of Democrats, led by the south to the Republican party during the 1960s. Believe it or not, the Golden Elephant was a Democrat at one time.

And where are minorities trained to "hate whites?" I've never heard of such educational institutions. And following that ridiculous belief, are you teaching YOUR children that minorities "hate whites?" If so, and given that people tend to dislike people that dislike them, what makes you any different?

He doesn't have to cite educational institutions that teach minorities to "hate whites", although more and more school districts are said to be teaching that "white men" stole the country from the "noble indians" and enslaved the noble negroes of Africa (neither of which is strictly true) and they get to see Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson and Rev. Wright and Eric Holder blame white folks for their peoples' troubles. The same sorts of things are being taught in colleges and universities. And, of course, "multi-culturalism" is the buzz-word of the age, as is "diversity" - when it means "stuff we like" as opposed to "stuff we don't like."

Television shows portray the modern white male as chauvinistic doofuses, while modern women and minorities are the hip, funny "with it" commentators on society. News outlets concentrate on spinning minority issues and creating "white vs black" crimes where there aren't any (can you say: Zimmerman vs Martin?) while shunning, as much as possible, labeling muslim terrorists AS terrorists.

I suppose he must not be excused for believing such garbage, after all; where would he go to be exposed to it?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Since the founding of the country? Since the 60s? Since the 40s? Since the 90s? Based on Census Bureau and IRS data.

The only thing it is down over is the past 4 years, but that has happened before and will happen again regardless of who is in charge and which web sites agree with their philosophy of governance.

The only thing it is down over is the past 4 years, but that has happened before and will happen again regardless of who is in charge and which web sites agree with their philosophy of governance.[/quote]

It is the near term (over which you agree it is down) which folks tend to focus on and worry about if they worry. Real income being up over Longer periods (basically anything more than they've been in their current career, in the workforce, especially starting before their lifetimes) would seem to be irrelevant to most from their static viewing point.

I don't think the picture is as rosy as you believe, as there are several financial factors in play that don't have historical counterparts in this country (namely debt:GDP). When such ratios have happened in other countries in the past, really bad :poop: sometimes happens...sometimes not so bad.

While I would agree, the picture isn't likely to be as dire as many think, there is certainly good cause for concern.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    He doesn't have to cite educational institutions that teach minorities to "hate whites", although more and more school districts are said to be teaching that "white men" stole the country from the "noble indians" and enslaved the noble negroes of Africa (neither of which is strictly true) and they get to see Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson and Rev. Wright and Eric Holder blame white folks for their peoples' troubles. The same sorts of things are being taught in colleges and universities. And, of course, "multi-culturalism" is the buzz-word of the age, as is "diversity" - when it means "stuff we like" as opposed to "stuff we don't like."

Television shows portray the modern white male as chauvinistic doofuses, while modern women and minorities are the hip, funny "with it" commentators on society. News outlets concentrate on spinning minority issues and creating "white vs black" crimes where there aren't any (can you say: Zimmerman vs Martin?) while shunning, as much as possible, labeling muslim terrorists AS terrorists.

I suppose he must not be excused for believing such garbage, after all; where would he go to be exposed to it?

The "victim card," apparently it's not just for minorities anymore. Every complaint you listed could be used by any group with soft, sensitive, injured hearts about how the believe they are unfairly portrayed.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I used to be that way. Then Fletch said something to the effect that if you really thought November was going to change things, or any other election for that matter, you're putting your faith in the wrong guy. I tried to argue with him (in my own head), but ultimately, he was right.

bhowell34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Greenwood
    I know how you feel. I was really into politics too. Especially on youtube. I was addicted. But it really brings you down seeing how screwed up everything is. And the more you research the worse stuff you find out. The easy thing to say is well I'll just move to another country but idk if its that easy anymore. I'll just try to stay positive but its hard now

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    While I would agree, the picture isn't likely to be as dire as many think, there is certainly good cause for concern.

OK, so what will happen and when will it happen?

Again, you can go back over the history of this site and find the same admonition you just made. Why is it different this time?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    OK, so what will happen and when will it happen?

Again, you can go back over the history of this site and find the same admonition you just made. Why is it different this time?

Maybe nothing, maybe TEOTWAWKI, more likely somewhere in between as outcomes at either extreme tend to be rare.

Are you saying you have no concern whatsoever about continuing the path that we are on?

You realize the history of the world, and machinations and ill-fated outcomes of currency manipulation, high debt to GDP ratios, and other economic ills do stretch a bit beyond the 5 +/- years the site has been around, right?

Every nation in history that has devalued its currency and taken a long-term view on the potential success of that action has suffered negative effects; the degree and duration of those effects vary as widely as the number of variables in each situation.

What makes this time different?

RLC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Greenville IN
    I too get so disgusted I have to turn off the news. I do think things will change for the better but regret I won't live long enough to see it. We have to many takers in society and to few makers. many folks just don't participate in the political process. A society always gets the government they deserve. Change is the only constant. But often it just takes too long....

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I used to be that way. Then Fletch said something to the effect that if you really thought November was going to change things, or any other election for that matter, you're putting your faith in the wrong guy. I tried to argue with him (in my own head), but ultimately, he was right.

Many epiphanies lead to euphoria...some, quite the opposite.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Many epiphanies lead to euphoria...some, quite the opposite.

Wow -
    I'm not sure what you just called her, but I think I like it. :):

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    The Right preaches it (truth leaning) when the Left is in control, the Left preaches it when the Right is in control. That's how they get swayed to NO common sense positions back and forth.

We DID do it to ourselves if you actually add into the equation 'Convenience'. Big City life. MONEY!

But I have better faith than most people. That's something you can have when you speak daily with people from all Walks of life. Personally people can be great... Individually. It's masses of people that are very dangerous, because you can't fight the consensus from within the mob.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    Maybe nothing, maybe TEOTWAWKI, more likely somewhere in between as outcomes at either extreme tend to be rare.

In other words: you don't even want to venture a guess as to what might happen or when, you just want people to generally worry about some ephemeral doomsday that is out there somewhere in the future. No thank you, my life is too good to waste on that. I have more food that I could possibly want to eat. I can inexpensively transport myself across the entire country and back and never be asked what I'm doing or why I'm doing it. My electricity is on 100% of the time. If I get sick I can go to any of a dozen hospitals within a short distance and be treated by some of the best health care any human has ever known. My toilets flush every time. I'm not afraid to speak my mind about my government. I don't have to work 12-16 hours per day 7 days per week in a job that will likely kill me before I turn 40, just to afford food. I can expect my children will receive a top flight education on the basis of whether or not they are smart enough to understand it, rather than who they know or what their family name is.

Are you saying you have no concern whatsoever about continuing the path that we are on?

What do you mean by path? If you mean can the US continue to support non-productive people in a way that encourages them to remain non-productive, yes I am concerned that that is not economically tenable. If you mean can the US government continue to limit the liberties of its people, when those people clearly choose more when given the opportunity? Yes, I am concerned.

Am I concerned that Barack Obama secretly wants to use economic policy to steer the company into financial ruin? No I am not.

If I wanted to worry, I would have worried over:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...those_who_predicted_the_financial_crisis.html

or food riots 2012:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tion_food_riots_tax_rebellions_by_2012_a.html

or you back when you would put a timeline on it:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/1360394-post1.html

So, we are 2.5 years in now, are we still on the trajectory you said we were?

What makes this time different?

On a global scale there has never been the kind of interconnectivity among the economies of nations as there is now. There has never been an ability to collect information about the health of economies as there is now. There has never been an ability to analyze the effects of economic policy changes as now.

There are a lot of lesson to be taken from the recent economic difficulties both here, globally, and the EU mess. That the above factors are significant might be the most significant one.

Last edited:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    In other words: you don't even want to venture a guess as to what might happen or when, you just want people to generally worry about some ephemeral doomsday that is out there somewhere in the future. No thank you, my life is too good to waste on that. I have more food that I could possibly want to eat. I can inexpensively transport myself across the entire country and back and never be asked what I'm doing or why I'm doing it. My electricity is on 100% of the time. If I get sick I can go to any of a dozen hospitals within a short distance and be treated by some of the best health care any human has ever known. My toilets flush every time. I'm not afraid to speak my mind about my government. I don't have to work 12-16 hours per day 7 days per week in a job that will likely kill me before I turn 40, just to afford food. I can expect my children will receive a top flight education on the basis of whether or not they are smart enough to understand it, rather than who they know or what their family name is.

What do you mean by path? If you mean can the US continue to support non-productive people in a way that encourages them to remain non-productive, yes I am concerned that that is not economically tenable. If you mean can the US government continue to limit the liberties of its people, when those people clearly choose more when given the opportunity? Yes, I am concerned.

Am I concerned that Barack Obama secretly wants to use economic policy to steer the company into financial ruin? No I am not.

If I wanted to worry, I would have worried over:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...those_who_predicted_the_financial_crisis.html

or food riots 2012:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tion_food_riots_tax_rebellions_by_2012_a.html

or you back when you would put a timeline on it:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/1360394-post1.html

So, we are 2.5 years in now, are we still on the trajectory you said we were?

On a global scale there has never been the kind of interconnectivity among the economies of nations as there is now. There has never been an ability to collect information about the health of economies as there is now. There has never been an ability to analyze the effects of economic policy changes as now.

There are a lot of lesson to be taken from the recent economic difficulties both here, globally, and the EU mess. That the above factors are significant might be the most significant one.

You seem to be stuck on the word worry. I don't sit and worry...don't want people to worry. It's unproductive. I never said anyone should worry...you put those words in my mouth so you could hack on your desired straw man, or for some other unknown reason.

There is a potential for trouble due to the economic and political decisions that continue to be made (some of them the ones you referred to above), interconnectivity and ability to monitor the impact policy changes notwithstanding.

I think Casey's analysis still stands pretty well. Timing is always the bugaboo, but within the next 7.5 years doesn't seem unreasonable for something to happen. Maybe it won't...i pray it doesn't.

I'm not worried about it, I'm keeping an eye on it and doing the best I can to position myself to ride it out if and when it does happen (in the meantime, I'll continue my productive and happy life) if it doesn't, I'll still be in a good position and all the happier.

Furthermore, I'm not worried that Obama secretly wants to use economic policy to steer the country (I presume you meant country, unless you work for the CIA, then I might actually have something to worry about :cool::shady:) into financial ruin either. I'm not even sure why you wrote that (maybe I missed another post upthread). The more likely scenario is that he's too blinded by his love of government as the solution to everything that his policies will likely steer the country to some form of economic ruin. Definitions of ruin may vary, but economic fundamentals do not.

Edit: Regarding your alleged ability to transport yourself across the country without being asked about what you're doing or why you're doing it, you must not venture too close to international borders, especially those in the SouthWest...regarding the top flight education, congratulations, not everyone in this country has that opportunity...regarding the top flight health care, prepare to watch that decline due to economic decisions made by this President and congress, as well as quite a few others dating back to LBJ; these things are cumulative.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom