So, are you that one that causes a traffic jam?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bold115uc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2024
    Milan
    True, they're just worse when they get behind a wheel ;)
    Not necessarily worse; they are always that way deep down. They just believe that they are safe inside their box on wheels. In turn it brings out who they really are as people because of this added “security.”

Stupidity, anger, tardiness, etc are all just more visible while one is driving. That’s how I feel anyways.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The first person to hit their brakes is responsible for this type of slow down (most of what we see during rush hour traffic).

People are either distracted by their phone or putting on makeup but most who do this stupid, inconsiderate **** are simply not paying attention to anything but the rear end of the car they're way too close to until they have to nail the brakes to avoid a collision and all hell starts breaking loose behind them. Put two of them in a row and the second one locks up their brakes. Happens every day.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The first person to hit their brakes is responsible for this type of slow down (most of what we see during rush hour traffic).

People are either distracted by their phone or putting on makeup but most who do this stupid, inconsiderate **** are simply not paying attention to anything but the rear end of the car they're way too close to until they have to nail the brakes to avoid a collision and all hell starts breaking loose behind them. Put two of them in a row and the second one locks up their brakes. Happens every day.
    I still wish they'd implement my idea for 465. Have a couple Sky Crane helicopters patrolling, equipped with those big electro-magnets like they use in scrap yards to pick up cars and put them in the crusher. See a traffic jam, fly to the front and see who is causing it, pick them up and set them down in a nearby neighborhood. :thumbsup:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    When I lived in Los Angeles, it was said that accidents caused slow downs in traffic that persisted for hours after the accident site was cleared.
    I can testify to the reality of that. It is like you take a boulder out of a stream but the water still slows down and goes around where it was

I saw it most on the 405 heading north towards the valley. There is a compression in traffic leading into the accident site and even after it is cleared traffic is too heavy to adjust right away so people are still slowing as they come up upon the back of the raft of slowed traffic so there is a self-sustaining echo of the problem for quite a while

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    At my previous employer we practiced bump drafting in the company vehicles. Was entertaining until they put gps in the trucks and started handing out punishment for speed and in their words “too many vehicles in the exact same location “…

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    At my previous employer we practiced bump drafting in the company vehicles. Was entertaining until they put gps in the trucks and started handing out punishment for speed and in their words “too many vehicles in the exact same location “…
    Lol. Where we were at you would be lucky to see 10 vehicles in a 15 mile stretch.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Most of the backups on ring roads like I-465 mate up to an interchange. People will naturally change speeds to change lanes to exit or to allow cars to merge.

Driving an unmarked car is sort of an attention test. It used to really stress me out in a marked car to be on the interstate because I either needed to speed more than most people were speeding or I was the grand marshal of the parade as cars backed up behind me. Now people come flying up on me, recognize the car as a police car, and get to creeping and fall in behind me. Eventually someone will either not notice me or not care, go flying by, and then it's like the pace car has left the track as others figure if I didn't bite on him I won't on them either.

The worst is flying up behind me then just hanging off my quarter panel. Either pass or don't, but don't clog the passing lane for miles while you OODA loop what to do next.

Reactions: Leo

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Most of the backups on ring roads like I-465 mate up to an interchange. People will naturally change speeds to change lanes to exit or to allow cars to merge.

Driving an unmarked car is sort of an attention test. It used to really stress me out in a marked car to be on the interstate because I either needed to speed more than most people were speeding or I was the grand marshal of the parade as cars backed up behind me. Now people come flying up on me, recognize the car as a police car, and get to creeping and fall in behind me. Eventually someone will either not notice me or not care, go flying by, and then it's like the pace car has left the track as others figure if I didn't bite on him I won't on them either.

The worst is flying up behind me then just hanging off my quarter panel. Either pass or don't, but don't clog the passing lane for miles while you OODA loop what to do next.
    I made an Audi R8 almost drag the front bumper around I65/21st St southbouth many years back. Week night around 10pm so there weren't a lot of cars out, I was in the left lane probably doing 70mph and he came up behind me like I was sitting still. I popped on the rear deck red & blues and while I wouldn't swear to it, I'm pretty sure I saw sparks as the headlight nosedived abruptly.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    This! I have occasion to drive a vehicle that could plausibly be mistaken for a law enforcement vehicle at a distance. Despite large and clear markings that show I'm not an officer, people do this all of the time. Apparently they think I couldn't have already nailed them by the time they stop in my blind spot if I were an officer and wanted to.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If I come up on a police car, I just set my cruise for 3 - 5 miles over the speed limit. If it lets me pass them, I just do it. Funny to see how many cars follow.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

It would be helpful if you would put the over/under number on the rear of your car so we don’t have to guess about being a victim… :cool:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Free for all is a better description of the places I've seen, and I haven't been to the bad ones. Italy was pretty bad. Mexico was worse.
    My son talks about driving in Kuwait and Iraq, with Pops a F'ing High Lux will pass you doing 110 and a kid will be standing up through the sunroof playing a Nintendo, while dad is talking on a cell smoking a cigarette.

Top Bottom