So, are you that one that causes a traffic jam?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If Indiana enforced the no texting law, I'm fairly certain we could pave our streets with gold off of ticket revenue.
    The legislature passed that law at the request of the insurance industry, it is more about accident liability than tickets. If one was hit by a car failing to yield, in many lawsuits the one we all would believe is 100% not at fault would be assigned some portion of the damage if say a passenger was injured, if the 100% right one was holding a phone, they will be assigned more responsibility.

Sucks, but that is real world…

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    Why do people get so angry behind the wheel of a car? Ever think a person "causing the traffic jam" is accelerating and braking cautiously because maybe they have a newborn in the car? Maybe a husband or wife just lost their partner of 30+ years and worrying about the narcicists around them just isn't at the top of their list right now while staying 1 foot off the rear bumper of the car ahead of them. Maybe it is a vet who just lost an eye and he's getting used to the lack of depth perception. Face to face people appear so empathetic and understanding. When they get behind the wheel, the demon comes out. I'll never understand how a piece of glass in a vehicle has that affect.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Completely idiotic to have a law that doesn't get enforced. Especially since it would make a big difference in the flow of traffic if people knew it would be enforced. No one understands the concept of deterrence.
    The problem gets worse when a cop is driving on the highway, people are afraid to go past the cop, and then they slow traffic down with that. Then there is the cop on the side..... "OMG a Cop" slam on brakes!! Then every one chain reacts, and slams on the brakes...PIT maneuvers should be legal....just saying....

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    When I lived in Los Angeles, it was said that accidents caused slow downs in traffic that persisted for hours after the accident site was cleared.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If Indiana actually enforced their slow poke law, the state could make a fortune in tickets just on IN37, between Bedford and Mitchell
    They may indeed make $$$, but I doubt it will change people's behavior. It also won't look as good on the news when they write more tickets for driving slow than driving fast. :):

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't care how inconsiderate they are or self centered, I just expect them to KNOW and FOLLOW the stated RULES OF THE ROAD so everyone KNOWS what everyone should be doing.

Any one stopping in the middle of the street and WAVING their hands at ANYTHING should have a giant boulder dropped directly on top of their car crushing it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The problem gets worse when a cop is driving on the highway, people are afraid to go past the cop, and then they slow traffic down with that. Then there is the cop on the side..... "OMG a Cop" slam on brakes!! Then every one chain reacts, and slams on the brakes...PIT maneuvers should be legal....just saying....
    I drive a grey full size sedan that looks like an unmarked police car in poor lighting. It is almost comical when driving in low light conditions, like dusk or fog. I wear a narrow brim fedora, just my style. I can come up pretty rapidly to a cluster of cars speeding, and I start seeing brake lights and the cars in the fast lane all signal to the right lane. When I drive past they are looking straight ahead and doing exactly posted limit. To even enforce it more, my license plate reads like something that would be on a State agency car. It was just the plate they sent me when I came to Indiana

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I drive down to SC and FL pretty frequently. If people would just do one little thing: Stay Right Unless to Pass. That would solve so many problems. I'm sorry some folks think it's their "right" to sit in the far left lane and run at the posted speed limit or even over, but unless you're passing someone - just move to the right. Perhaps some of those slower, left lane drivers think it's their job to slow down faster drivers. I don't care if someone is running 100+ mph - if I'm done passing, I slide over and let faster traffic past. I'm also observant enough to see those fast movers and I'll wait a few moments to let them by and then slide out to the left lane to pass.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I drive down to SC and FL pretty frequently. If people would just do one little thing: Stay Right Unless to Pass. That would solve so many problems. I'm sorry some folks think it's their "right" to sit in the far left lane and run at the posted speed limit or even over, but unless you're passing someone - just move to the right. Perhaps some of those slower, left lane drivers think it's their job to slow down faster drivers. I don't care if someone is running 100+ mph - if I'm done passing, I slide over and let faster traffic past. I'm also observant enough to see those fast movers and I'll wait a few moments to let them by and then slide out to the left lane to pass.
    I used to hate driving in Ohio where any lanes to the right of the left most lane might as well not exist for native drivers, then I drove through Alabama. At least the Ohio drivers stay in the left lane leaving the right ones mostly open as opposed to Alabama drivers that stay in the right lane until a faster vehicle approaches then float over to the left in front of the faster traffic and slow down. Then there's Florida, especially south Florida, where aged citizens somehow manage to synchronize themselves equidistant throughout all lanes and alternate between driving precisely the speed limit and 5 under while maintaining synchronization.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Then there's Florida, especially south Florida, where aged citizens somehow manage to synchronize themselves equidistant throughout all lanes and alternate between driving precisely the speed limit and 5 under while maintaining synchronization.

I've seen that done here in Indiana with semis, unfortunately.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    If a cop is slow poking on the interstate, I will fly by him, even when I am in the right lane,

.at the posted speed limit!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't care how inconsiderate they are or self centered, I just expect them to KNOW and FOLLOW the stated RULES OF THE ROAD so everyone KNOWS what everyone should be doing.
    Indiana no longer issues a manual, and people must not read the DMV internet page. Just like at a large intersection, with multiple turn and straight lanes. They enter the intersection, slow down in the middle and pick which one they want, even if they interfere with three other drivers WHO ARE IN THEIR PROPER LANES. Then they give you the finger like you violated them.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Indiana no longer issues a manual, and people must not read the DMV internet page. Just like at a large intersection, with multiple turn and straight lanes. They enter the intersection, slow down in the middle and pick which one they want, even if they interfere with three other drivers WHO ARE IN THEIR PROPER LANES. Then they give you the finger like you violated them.

One of the other issues with illegals flooding our country. They have very different driving laws where they came from and try to replicate that crap here.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Gapers block. Been a while since I heard that phrase. Is it a Region term as since I moved out of the Region I don’t recall hearing it.
    I remember it as gapers delay, but it's been awhile.
    You could stop by the DMV and pick up a driver's manual as of last year.

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom