• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Which catastrophic winter storm is worse and why?

12-20 inches of blowing snow is pretty bad - roads impassible, schools close, businesses close, stores sell out of staples, 4-6 foot drifts, small dogs sink into the snow and dissapear.

1/2 to 1 1/2 inches of ice is worse (imho) - roads impassible, schools close, businesses close, stores sell out of staples, branches break, trees fall, power\phone\cable lines snap under the weight, large dogs slip and fall on their walks.

Our power's been off more than on - 6 times since 6:00 pm. The cable/interntet service just came back on.

Stay warm everybody.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Just did a visual check out front and we have 3'-4' snow drifts across the driveway (375' of it) all the way to the road. I am trying to decide if I should start up the tractor and get some of it cleared or wait till morning. Still hearing snow/sleet mix hitting the windows. :dunno: Wish I were a kid so this would be fun...:rolleyes:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    We've got a pretty decent amount of snow so far but I know if I needed I could get anywhere I needed. My truck easily makes it through drifts up to the top of the hood.

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    I take snow any day, can't wait to thaw out. Although, does help my wife stop the why we need to be prepared talk. Powers out since 8 kerosene heater justified, house all electric. Non perishable foods & water justified. Know taking my word on the armory without justification, "priceless ".

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    The ice is worse. We can handle snow much easier. Although I'm surprised there hasn't been a wreck nearby that's taken out a pole like normal. So far we are lucky to still have our power. Let's just hope it stays that way. Although if it doesn't I'm prepared :)

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Dog had to go she couldn't hold it any longer, I open the front door and get a blast of snow and cold as she runs out.

Goes from the deck to what she assumed was the ground, which was 3 ft snow drift covering the steps. Does both needed things and can't figure out how to get back on the deck and into the house.

So 3:30 in the morning 10 degrees, blowing snow I slip on my boots and go out to rescue the dumb dog. Not a pretty sight.

Chili Pepper (Says I'm Hot across the fly) Pajama pants, a Hoodie and untied work boots to go rescue my retarded dog.

Snowpocalypse here!!!

I was ready for the ice thankfully it didn't hit here too bad, last ice storm in 98?? was without power for 2 weeks.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I hate the ice. This morning we are without power, and running out of fire wood. My wife and I prepped the cherokee with survival stuff, and left for work, leaving water trickling at the faucets.There is power at work, for now. Duke vs. SCIREMC. I hope the power is restored before stuff freezes up. God bless the crews working this mess!

match14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    South Central IN.
    Having experienced both more than once, I'm going to say that 1/2" ice is worse, due to the frequency of losing power.
    I lost power for only a few hours, I was very lucky that REMC restored power very quickly. When the power went out I drove to Walmart to see if they had any propane canisters left, surprisingly they had like 100 1 lb bottles still, so I bought a dozen. I thought I'd be out of power until at least the next day, but just after firing up the propane heater, the power came back on. I never thought I'd say this but thanks REMC.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Big shoutout to the INGO preppers ...

While we didn't need anything we prepped (our fist year paying attention) - we were loaded.

Two full propane grill tanks and a Big buddy heater,
    3 days worth of drinking water in bottles (plus the hot water heater if it went longer) buckets of flush water sitting in the guest bathroom. Food for much more than a week

The only thing we really needed was a work crew with jackhammers to free us from the near 2 inches of ice on the drive.

fortunately, I've watched enough DEADLIEST CATCH to know how to swing a sledge and bust ice. (used the little mini- single hand hammer for most of it to keep from denting or cracking the concrete) I few spots got the big hammer.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom