• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I work in Gary. I have become a bit complacent lately, thanks for the reminder that its basicly a war zone... I work at the airport, so its generally "better" than the rest, but the fact is, I drive through the rest to get there...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2008
    Undisclosed Location
    Gary is an abnormality. The stuff that goes on there is hard to believe.

I had a job interview with the Lake County Visitors Bureau back in 1995. The day of the interview was the same day the State Police went into Gary to get a handle on the problems going on in the city. Their definition/discussion was that Lake County was a great place to live and visit. However, the only areas they talked about was anything east of Broadway and south of 61st Avenue.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I was born and raised in Gary. Worked almost 30 years at the mill. If your waiting for me say how much I miss it. . . Ain't gonna happen! I left just in time. If indiana had a sphincter, it would be Gary!

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Man that CAD screen is packed. I think Spillman would shut down in this neck of the woods with that much activity. Stay safe out there my friend!

Kris

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    No, unfortunately that was a separate incident. This was a male shot down the street who walked in then died

Damn.

I used to teach at Holy Angels just down the street and didn't think anything of driving down 6th-7th avenues, but that was 30 years ago.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Also born and raised there. The 60-80s were a mix of many, gangs started coming in. Glad I left in 1982, still have fond memories of Glen Park, Miller, Downtown. Now and then take a ride to see my parents old homes, grandparents old homes, friends. Only during day time and armed to the teeth. I know the roughest areas are all the time now, and truly sad to see the abandoned blocks of homes, falling down everywhere. My Grandfather was a Gary Policeman in the mid 30's. Was a rockin town then.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I was raised in east Gary, after my Marine Corp Drill Sgt. stepfather moved there for a mill job just after Vietnam. I remember how beautiful the city WAS, as my mother worked for the Gary Redevelopment Center. I remember rides to the lakefront, and some of the homes up there looked like movie stars would own them. Then the layoffs started. Crime skyrocketed. We quickly moved to Lake Station, stayed for a bit, then moved east again to Portage. My parents are still in that same house, where I graduated.

Only now, that city that seemed like paradise in the 80's, is now starting to turn into Gary Part III. I hate driving home to see my parents, only to see the decay and rot that is permeating NWI. It's painful.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I have a friend buying old homes and renting them out in Gary. He claims is makes more money on those rentals than in Indy or Bloomington. He is has been lucky so far. I keep telling him his days of profit are numbered.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    I have a friend buying old homes and renting them out in Gary. He claims is makes more money on those rentals than in Indy or Bloomington. He is has been lucky so far. I keep telling him his days of profit are numbered.
    I don't know a lot about rentals, but the guys I talk to love to do rentals in Gary because they get the houses for nothing, rent them as Section 8 for way more than they are worth, and the Government makes sure they get paid each month on time.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't know a lot about rentals, but the guys I talk to love to do rentals in Gary because they get the houses for nothing, rent them as Section 8 for way more than they are worth, and the Government makes sure they get paid each month on time.

Buy for $25,000 and rent for $600-$900 a month? That's what I've seen. Yeah, you can get houses in Gary for $5,000, but if you're going to get the gubmint money, they have to be a little more...habitable and $25,000 buys that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay, I'll admit that Gary can be a little . . . sporty.

But at least you'll know you're alive when you're there. Well, for a while you will, anyway.

Top Bottom