• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've decided to go old school this year. Taking the .50 Hawkins sidelock with patched roundballs. I got this beauty from my grandfather when I was 14, and it has never taken a deer. That ends this year! I may cheat and take my Knight .50 Hawkey pistol w/ red dot. But, something feels wrong about toting an inline pistol w/ lam. stock and optics while carrying an old Hawkins rifle.

I have my Winchester x-150 in .45 currently set up for my son.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I'll be out with my T/C .50 cal. SS Firehawk. Once I figured out what this rifle liked powder and bullet wise, it has been flawless in the many years I've hunted with it. The past few years that has been 90 grains of Triple 7 behind a Powerbelt 295 grain AeroTip.

I tried the 209 primer thing... big PITA and went back to CCI percussion caps.

BTW, Attention you sidelock guys, still have a T/C New Englander I don't shoot anymore.... AHEM. PM me.:D

Good hunting to everyone this ML season! Be safe too.:yesway:

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    CVA Staghorn has worked for many years. I have others but this one always ends up in the woods with me. Also has a Redfield 3x9 on it. 100grains Pyrodex and 250gr TC Shockwave bullet.

Indianajeff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Indiana
    I'veretired the Black Diamond this year, and bought a CVA Optima, already took a doe with it already using 100gr 777 and 240gr Dead Center sabots.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've decided to go old school this year. Taking the .50 Hawkins sidelock with patched roundballs.

Me too. I only shoot patched round balls and real black powder in mine. Others prefer different and that is of course their right, but I only like muzzle loaders that are traditional.

Terry

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I'm a bit more "old School"
    Took a doe last Friday with this
    DSCF0201.jpg

May hunt later this M/L season with this
    Mvc-004f-1.jpg

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Omega

Stainless TC Omega with black synthetic stock and a nikon omega scope. Two 777 pellets and 250 grain XTPs. It does so well with 100 grains of 777 I never bothered trying 150? Might see how it shoots this year with 150 grains of 777. This is the only deer I have taken with it, but the combination did the trick during late season 2009.
    muzzle.jpg
    [/IMG]
    Happy hunting everyone

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Them bottom one is actually a 12 ga fowling piece. Shoots a .690 round ball.The upper gun is a 50 cal "bullet" gun . 1-20 twist, shoots a 385 grain hard lead bullet.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    50 cal CVA Wolf with Bushnell 3x9x40 Banner scope. Running a 250gr T/C Shockwave stoked with 100gr 777 pellets.

This rifle is the greatest surprise I've ever had in buying firearms. I caught it on sale dirt cheap a few years back and thought I would give it a try, just in case I needed a little longer season. Amazingly, it's one of the most accurate rifles I own with the combo given above shooting slightly less than a minute. No one was more surprised by its performance than me.

Top Bottom