Smart locks on a home, are they any good?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    We are looking at going to a smart lock type of entry system on our front door. We we’re looking at either manually entered or phone app style. Does anyone here have any experience with these types of entry door lock systems? What should we look for and what should we stay away from?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    We have the manually entered type. I stayed away from the app type for precisely the reason given above, no idea if it is a valid concern or not, but I didn't want to risk it. I will say along those lines that an IT professional once told me that the problem with too many "smart" devices is that not only do they not say "no" to attackers, "no" isn't even a part of their vocabulary.

I also made it a point to get one that also had a key option because I was afraid of being locked out if the battery failed. It is my understanding that the key is actually considered the weak point though, much easier for a thief to defeat a keyed lock than a keypad.

One thing I really like about it is that I can add or delete codes at any time. Thus, if you have a house cleaner or somebody else that needs to get in for some reason, you don't have to give them a key. Just give them a code that you can always delete later.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Couple of points,
    1) When I said we, well you know that is code for SWMBO
    2) I think going from a keyed lock set and keyed deadbolt to a single electronic deadbolt, is just reducing your security. 2vs1 type thing.
    3)The app style entry would not be high on any list of mine.

“We” might have narrowed it to looking at the type that randomizes the number location and or a biometric entry.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    What is your ultimate goal and what threat are you afraid of?

If you don’t have bars on all your windows don’t overthink the door locks as a simple rock will allow access to your home through a window.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    What is your ultimate goal and what threat are you afraid of?

If you don’t have bars on all your windows don’t overthink the door locks as a simple rock will allow access to your home through a window.
    I fully am aware that if a person wants in they will get in. I also know one time we lost power at the house and could not easily gain garage entry and we had locked both exterior screen doors so this led to a long dinner and shopping trip.
    I am looking for people that have something similar to share any good or bad experiences with this type of systems.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Is there any type of low battery alert on the system.
    There is no alert that I'm aware of. You type in the code, buttons turn green confirming, but the lock itself won't unlock. Enter it a second time and it will then unlock. It's at this point I know to change the battery.

It's been about a 5 year interval for battery changes for us. We moved here in 15 and installed it in 16 and just changed battery last summer. It is also keyed, so we have a hidden key incase it's ever needed.
    Same battery life at the old house over about 10 years.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I have a Kwikset electronic keypad lock. It's gotten me back in the the house more than once when I walked out without my keys. I've also thought about getting one of those ones that uses an RFID keychain dongle or card for my back door so I can just lean my butt up against the door to unlock when I come home with my hands full(groceries or whatever)

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    I also know one time we lost power at the house and could not easily gain garage entry and we had locked both exterior screen doors so this led to a long dinner and shopping trip.
    This is why we changed out our garage door opener. It now has a built in battery back up that allows the door to open and close multiple times in case of a power outage.
    Most of our family uses the keypad locks, it's a big plus with kids because they can't lose their key.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I use Kwikset locks. They do. When you unlock the panel flashes red and beeps to warn of a low battery. Love them.

And they have an optional auto lock feature so you dont accidentally leave the door unlocked, as well as an option on some models to interface with home automation systems. (zwave)

And they even have SmartKey tech, so you can rekey them at will, make them match existing Kwikset locks, etc.

And just for good measure, just replace your batteries once a year proactively.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I have a Kwikset electronic keypad lock. It's gotten me back in the the house more than once when I walked out without my keys. I've also thought about getting one of those ones that uses an RFID keychain dongle or card for my back door so I can just lean my butt up against the door to unlock when I come home with my hands full(groceries or whatever)

I would just put it in my pocket but whatever is more convenient for you…

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I just looked at ours again, and apparently it does have a low battery warning. I guess we've just never let it get low enough.

I do know it apparently starts to occasionally not unlock before the low battery indicator appears.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    My mother has the tru-bolt brand and it’s a convenience only. It gives me the ability to enter quickly if I haven’t been able to get in touch with her. We just replaced the 4 AA batteries and we got a year out of them. I also placed 4inch screws in the latch plate and in the hinges on the frame side. All screws on the door side were moved up to 2 inches in length. I know a window can be broke. This is my way of slowing them down.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    <snip>

And they even have SmartKey tech, so you can rekey them at will, make them match existing Kwikset locks, etc.
    Smartkey is absolutely garbage. Worst thing kwikset has done in my opinion.

Had a machine shop call me in the wee hours because the lock froze up on them. It was a smartkey. The pins are so small that they easily hop. I told them to just take a pair of channel locks and pop the lock, then I would rep[lace it when I got there. They didn't have any tools in their vehicles.

I got there and got it opened, then removed all the pins and keyed it back the proper way. This has happened on more than one smartkey lock for me.

Just what I have come across. I will rekey for temp usage only, otherwise I prefer regular pins.

Top Bottom