"Smart" guns -- shut off remotely by the Feds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Don't forget that the marketing machine will also work to turn public perception of those old guns as something that only criminals would use.

And/or ammo for those "old guns" would slowly become unavailable: Joe Walmart, the year 2113: "What? .45? No sir, I don't think ammo was ever made in that size except for the military."

OTOH, if the device can be retrofitted into an older gun, it can be removed as well. A little tougher to do that if the RFID is embedded into the metal of the frame.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere

Dauvis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Morgan county
    And/or ammo for those "old guns" would slowly become unavailable: Joe Walmart, the year 2113: "What? .45? No sir, I don't think ammo was ever made in that size except for the military."

OTOH, if the device can be retrofitted into an older gun, it can be removed as well. A little tougher to do that if the RFID is embedded into the metal of the frame.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

I agree. This is why I think that future smart guns are going to be based on something similar to the metal storm technology. The rounds for those guns will be incompatible with the older mechanical guns. The government only need to nudge the ammo manufacturers to start producing the new rounds in lieu of the old ones. With the electronics, they can do things such as logging what weapon fired what round as well as other shenanigans.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I believe that is exactly how it works. No battery power equals no bang. Disabling the device disables the gun. Sure you more than likely would be able to monkey with it and get it to work without the device. Then you would be violation along the lines of filing off a serial number.

I really think this is coming and if it's not stopped right now before it gets implemented there will be no turning back. This is exactly what the Democrats and anti gun folks want - CONTROL.

Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

Not to discount your fears - I think in the next twenty to thirty years there may be some real substance and background to justify your concerns - but so long as there are lathes across this country, I refuse to worry about RFID until it becomes worthy of worry to me personally. It is a truism that government will use all tools available to it to attempt to limit the people and to expand its power, but the logistics for this aren't yet where they need to be to make this possible. Will it be possible some day, eventually? Probably. But in an age of fully-printed weaponry that functions for at least one shot and fully-machineable weaponry that can be made in a garage from nothing but spare pieces of metal, the would-be controllers are on the losing side: the deck is stacked against them. The tide is turning for liberty and soon enough none shall be able to limit or restrain god-given, innate rights. Not even Mike Bloomberg or Nancy Pelosi or Barack Oblamarama will be able to stem this tide. Not the most authoritarian, totalitarian beatnik can stop an idea whose time is come. We know it's going to be a tough battle, and it certainly isn't over yet, but it will be over soon. Hopefully we'll reach the point of no return and no regulation before this type of RFID matures in its fruition. I think it will.

Look at the attempt to suppress DEFDIST/DEFCAD: State Department invokes ITAR, and even though DEFDIST complied with the order, the plans spread like wildfire, and were heavily modified and improved upon already. A Canadian (I hate to give credit to the Canadians) invented - wholesale, part and parcel - a .22LR rifle from nothing but plastic, one that broke after its first firing, and then upon refinement, a model that fired many many rounds before wearing out the barrel. I have hope that human ingenuity will save us from human tyranny. With some luck, those who would control us will find themselves in need of defense before this is all settled and the dust clears. I truly believe that we're on the cusp of a new era with regard to the (in-)ability to regulate or control arms, if only in that regard. We now have the world's biggest copy machine at our fingertips and now we have rudimentary plastic replicators and sintering devices. One can only marvel when these devices come into their own and the technology really matures. That is when we will see leaps forward as these production means and methods are revised and revised and revised.

It really puts the whole problem before the would-be controllers into perspective: they have to ban, prohibit, steal, and otherwise take away all possible materials that could ever be used to produce a weapon to be successful. The purveyors of liberty need only to scrounge around to find something that can be made into a defensive weapon. They must, in other words, be successful all the time. We only need be successful once to have something that is ubiquitous and simple and easy to make and use for all time. And it is precisely these odds that make me smile. I have no doubt that they will continue to push whatever means they have to try to prevent this outcome, but in my mind - perhaps overly optimistic, I admit - this outcome is the only outcome: there is no other outcome but liberty. The very nature of humankind, I think, admits no other outcome than to be free to defend oneself. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe things will wind up a horrendous and tragic mess. But I do know that it will take no less than downright abuses of power to even delay the rightful outcome due the people, and I do not know what it would take to stop it. Liberty is coming. I have to believe that liberty truly is coming.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    RFID ≠ smart gun
    smart gun ≠ RFID

Thank you for the tech lesson, but my intent was to show the first step. That's exactly why the thread went that way.
    After that first step (Which is obviously being done) then the next, and onto the 'smart gun'... kinda like 'smart phone' or 'smart tv' or smart refigerator' or 'smart car'... and let me say, "there ain't nothin worse than a dumb ^@t#%r &u*()_ with a smart (insert noun)."

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    With equipment that the FCC would license under the current radiation laws/limits?

It may not be here now, but the tech will be here soon.

Control Engineering*|*Search Single Display

Whether the "approved" zones for use of such "long-range" (500 meters, +/-) would facilitate the scenarios above, the tech will be there. You can count on it. Also, many laws and regs have exceptions for LE, National Defense, National Security, etc. I'm sure those would be applied, probably for the children.

Edit: That said, I can't imagine the cost to implement on the 300-million plus existing arms, let alone enforcement of that implementation.

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the gov't doesn't really have an up and running database of gun serial numbers attached to purchasers, that's why gun stores have to keep boxes of sales records. They'd need their own records to sift through in order to figure out what's what and prosecute and make an RFID program worthwhile. They would need the cooperation of all gun owners and we don't put up with this type of BS. Besides, something like this would hardly get any guns off of the street.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the gov't doesn't really have an up and running database of gun serial numbers attached to purchasers, that's why gun stores have to keep boxes of sales records. They'd need their own records to sift through in order to figure out what's what and prosecute and make an RFID program worthwhile. They would need the cooperation of all gun owners and we don't put up with this type of BS. Besides, something like this would hardly get any guns off of the street.

You're extremely naive if you think there isn't a database already out there at someone's disposal. Not to don a tinfoil hat, but the amount of stuff most 3-letter agencies can do is frightening. History has shown us time and time again, that if you think they are even remotely capable of doing something or having something, chances are they already do.

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    You're extremely naive if you think there isn't a database already out there at someone's disposal. Not to don a tinfoil hat, but the amount of stuff most 3-letter agencies can do is frightening. History has shown us time and time again, that if you think they are even remotely capable of doing something or having something, chances are they already do.

True. But what good is that database when a gun gets stolen or privately sold?

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, why would a country that continually speaks of a monopoly on firearms, have any sort of tracking on individual sales? I'm sure that they just get rid of all of the info that we give them when we apply for a purchase of one.

By the way, what makes anything a Smart product? It's the fact that you're too dumb to do it for yourself, that makes it soooo smart. Still I repeat, 'There's nothing worse than a dumb (person) with a Smart Phone."

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    ...when a gun is stolen or sold privately, all the databases still think the original purchaser possesses the gun. The thief doesn't call the local PD and say "Joe doesn't have this anymore, I do." Yeah there are databases and boxes of paperwork, and all that, but when a gun leaves the owner the Feds would have to put boots on the ground to find the guns. Unless the gov't is made aware via missing gun reports or transfers, your databases don't magically update themselves. American guns get down to Latin America through private sales: which your databases don't track. I'm not saying the gov't is incapable of tracking anything down, I'm not saying requiring RFID chips in everything is a good idea, I'm not saying more gun control isn't going to lead to abuse of citizens' rights.

Dauvis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Morgan county
    True. But what good is that database when a gun gets stolen or privately sold?

Who says they really need to get 100% of the guns. There are other ways to get the information. As example, let's say that there is this forum that gun owners frequent. With the power of super secret warrants, they get lists of IP addresses of those who connect. Next, they can get with buddies at the telecommunication companies to tell them who was behind those addresses.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    As example, let's say that there is this forum that gun owners frequent. With the power of super secret warrants, they get lists of IP addresses of those who connect. Next, they can get with buddies at the telecommunication companies to tell them who was behind those addresses.

+1
    ..and that is precisely how it happens, and how it has been happening.

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    Okay...so then do they secretly do this at will without anyone knowing on all gun forums? Is the gov't going to track this posting down and kick in my door and take my guns without a warrant?

ryancantshoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    The City
    They can blow up your car remotely, guys, with no warrant required.

I wouldn't worry about your guns.

That specific fight is over in my opinion. The people lost.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    No amount of technology can overcome the inherent mechanical simplicity of what needs to happen for a gun to fire. So called "smart guns" will always be able to quickly and easily be converted back to dumb guns, so long as firearms still operate on the same mechanical principles as today.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    No amount of technology can overcome the inherent mechanical simplicity of what needs to happen for a gun to fire. So called "smart guns" will always be able to quickly and easily be converted back to dumb guns, so long as firearms still operate on the same mechanical principles as today.

I think that is probably true. But what good is that, if disabling the device makes you a criminal. What if this becomes law and you disable the device, get caught and loose you ability to lawfully own a gun the rest of your life. Better to stop this before it ever becomes reality.

Top Bottom