• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    well, the glass company basically said the problem was the installer who ordered the wrong door. But they gave us a door several inches smaller than the hole we had which is frustrating. Not really sure what the role of the glass company is other than sales I guess?

The installer boss said their warehouse manager had substance abuse issues and was spiraling down when we placed our order. he replicated our order with someone else's rather than input the correct stuff for ours. When it arrived it was the same as on their order form so they went and installed it. The guy who came to the house saw it wasn't right for the right/left opening and did what he could to fix it.

I called the glass company and they said we can either keep the door as it is or have them swap out for a larger door. If we did a larger door, then it couldn't have the blinds in the glass.

I offered a third option, have someone else sell me the door we thought we ordered from them. Ultimately I think she was happy to wash her hands of the whole thing. They wrote me a check for what we paid so far and now I have a door missing blinds on one part and no trim on the outside, along with a missing piece on the inside.

We had a quote from Pella several years ago and I called them. They are getting us a wooden door with aluminum wrap, 2.5" taller and half an inch wider than current door. Problem is install date is March 9th. They suggested I use duct tape along edge of door frame to the brick for air/wind control until the new door arrives.
    Good on the refund, sorry about the delay with Pella, and yes interested in the name of the company.

And I'd call that a failure on the installer as well. As soon as he saw it wasn't right, he should have punted rather than have it be halfway.

I'm curious, was there much price difference with the original order and with Pella?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Good on the refund, sorry about the delay with Pella, and yes interested in the name of the company.

And I'd call that a failure on the installer as well. As soon as he saw it wasn't right, he should have punted rather than have it be halfway.

I'm curious, was there much price difference with the original order and with Pella?
    The pella door is solid wood with cooler features, and custom sized. $6200 installed. The other one was vinyl and about $4000. It took six months to come in and then be incorrect :dunno:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Ok, three sides are trimmed in now. I used weather stripping against the brick and screwed into the door frame. Door will be scrapped when all said and done.

Just gotta get a wider piece for the top and I'll be all set. It's amazing how cold the floor was inside this door this morning. Hoping my fix will help.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Ok, three sides are trimmed in now. I used weather stripping against the brick and screwed into the door frame. Door will be scrapped when all said and done.

Just gotta get a wider piece for the top and I'll be all set. It's amazing how cold the floor was inside this door this morning. Hoping my fix will help.

Looks good Doc, you have done a better job than the “contractor” you hired to install it.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County

You can be a plastic surgeon! That looks very smooth and natural!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Today is the day! Pella sliding door going in. The guys are shocked at what it looks like. The header piece was installed on the floor to raise the door up
    :wow:

That is crazy. Sounds like you made the right decision.

You really should let everyone know the name of the first company, they should be avoided at all cost.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When we get a new front door, I actually need to do this. (raise it up) When they built the house the sill wasnt tall enough. with just linoleum it was fine. After we ripped that up and installed a thick laminate, now there is less than 1/4" of clearance, and now we cant put a rug down because the door will either jam up on the rug, or slide the rug with the door. :xmad:

But we need a new front door anyway. I dont like the giant window and want a solid steel door instead with a half moon window up high.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Weird thing is the outer pane is what slides. My wife pointed out someone could block us from exiting by putting a stick in there :dunno:

exxonmobil near me now
    It had to have been installed wrong if the outer pane slides. That makes absolutely no sense. I'd get them back out to do it right. Sorry doc!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    That sure does seem odd, the screen door is on the inside.

Seems like this would also lead to snow, ice, dirt and debris getting into the track for the door.

I have a family member that works for Pella, I think I will send him a message.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Top Bottom