• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So, we had a sliding door installed today. Aside from the interior being the wrong color.... We now have some gapping issues.

There is a 3" lip to get out the door and a 1.5" gap between the casing and the brick on the exterior.

Any thoughts on what should have been done differently? Seems some of the old material should have been removed, or maybe the door was measured incorrectly. I dunno.

The hole supposedly 75x80 and door 74.5 x 79.5. installer coming back tomorrow to out aluminum flashing around outside and retrim inside. I explained color is wrong. Also the sliding door was ordered for reverse opening so he had to install upside down, going to swap out glass/blinds tomorrow also. Sigh.

I can take the non-sliding portion and bend it out half an inch easily.

upload image to website

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Air gap between the two doors, and then the gap with a little bit of pressure. I mean, this is not normal is it? Door seems extremely cheap

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    It was ordered with the wrong orientation so he hung it this way. Planning to swap flash/sash out tomorrow so blinds are correct.
    That would put the weep holes in the frame at the top. It would also put the handles in an odd position.

It looks like the old door had a brick mold on it, this one doesn't. The bottom should have been wrapped/flashed properly before it was installed.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Here's how old trim was. Wood pieces.

50% deposit down. Owner of glass company i believe coming out Monday.

Those wood pieces are called brick mold, the new one will have aluminum trim.

The issue with flipping it over is the actual bottom of the door frame should be designed to drain water out the front (weep holes). Those drains will now be at the top, therefore the new bottom won't be designed to drain water out properly. The original top of the frame could have also had holes to screw through for mounting, those holes could now be facing down and allow water to enter your structure.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

The issue with flipping it over is the actual bottom of the door frame should be designed to drain water out the front (weep holes). Those drains will now be at the top, therefore the new bottom won't be designed to drain water out properly. The original top of the frame could have also had holes to screw through for mounting, those holes could now be facing down and allow water to enter your structure.
    Which is exactly why doc should tell them to make it right before they see another dime. I don't know which company he used (but he should name them, so nobody ever uses them again), but that's a total BS job. My guess is that it's "Cletus's Good Windows and Doors 'n Stuff" or some such.

"Our motto: Hey, it's better than plywood!"

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

My impression is only one door was flipped and the frame is still the same orientation? Does that make sense?

No names yet. We'll see where this goes. Local glass Company who hired an installer

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    My impression is only one door was flipped and the frame is still the same orientation? Does that make sense?

No names yet. We'll see where this goes. Local glass Company who hired an installer
    This makes sense. On sliding glass doors the doors, the doors can be flipped since they are usually installed after the frame is in place.

The installers did a BS job.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

I guess it's possible. I have no experience with a door that gives you that ability. Is only one door panel moveable? Wouldn't flipping it over put the bottom rollers on the top, maybe it has rollers on top and bottom? Now I'm curious.

At the very least I would want that bottom wrapped and flashed before install of the door, otherwise you will be fighting water issues from now on.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    They must be planning on taking the sash out of that door and flipping it...to get the blind at the top. A lot of doors we get now are reversible, but I have never had to do one with blinds in it.

It is hard to get anything done correct right now, it seems. There are a lot of people claiming to be contractors that have no clue. If you are good at what you do........you are booked until Spring or further out.

I have a guy wanting a 40 x 24 pole barn built, 30-40K job......and I can find nobody who can do it. I am too busy and so is everyone else I know. Never seen times like this.......hope they get you taken care of Doc!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The installer came back yesterday and put the handle on. I found the alarm system component on my back deck just laying there. They cut the wires, pulled it from the frame and didn't say anything to me about it, just left it on the ground.

He said he thinks the door is too short. He said would be a gap at top or bottom so he put that trim piece in the bottom. He planned to swap out the sash Monday so the blinds go the correct way. But honestly the door is flimsy. I can see between the two doors and with a little pressure a half inch gap opens up. Sad. Guess i should have gone wooden instead of metal? I assumed metal would be stronger

Top Bottom