• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I wonder how reliable of a source this really is. Its good if it is true, but sucks for all the people that got a trust for that reason alone. At least they still get the other benifits it offers.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I wonder how reliable of a source this really is. Its good if it is true, but sucks for all the people that got a trust for that reason alone. At least they still get the other benifits it offers.

I heard the same thing from the Class 3 that I bought my MAC from. Just a question of when the new forms will be available.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    But I will point out that, at least here in Indy, the police were never the problem. I got my paperwork signed and back within a week and the only reason it took that long was that I submitted right before New Years and they were short staffed due to vacations.

It's the ATF that is taking 6+ months to process the paperwork, not local law enforcement. So, unless you live somewhere where your local CLEO refuses to sign off on the paperwork, this won't save you much time either way.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    But I will point out that, at least here in Indy, the police were never the problem. I got my paperwork signed and back within a week and the only reason it took that long was that I submitted right before New Years and they were short staffed due to vacations.

Well as was pointed out in another thread by another member. There have been a lot of recent changes within the upper echelon of the IMPD so getting these signed might take a little longer than usual. I can't confirm or deny that, but that is probably a logical problem

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well as was pointed out in another thread by another member. There have been a lot of recent changes within the upper echelon of the IMPD so getting these signed might take a little longer than usual. I can't confirm or deny that, but that is probably a logical problem

Hmm, didn't know that. Well, probably just as well they get taken out of the loop anyway. All they are doing is basically the same thing as the instant check anyway, so the Feds can run that just as easily.

Though, I wonder how that will work for states that don't allow certain NFA items (like Indiana and SBSs). Are the Feds going to catch all the state limits? Or are they going to process it without checking and then let people end up committing felonies in the states they live in?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    That is fantastic... it took me nearly A MONTH and 3 phone calls!! YES... A MONTH!!! to get my form filled out and ready for pick up from our local CLEO here in Elkhart. (just picked it up today actually)

Its bad enough the ATF is gonna take 6-8months to do their part... but to have the CLEO hold me up from getting the form in the mail was horrendous.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY

I was that tremendous member.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Yeah, because the CLEO step is the worst bottleneck in the whole process. :rolleyes:

Its one less bottleneck that has to be dealt with. Like Lucky said, he had to wait a month just for CLEO sign off, and some dont even make it past that, i think its a great thing that theyre cutting out an un-needed section of the process.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Its one less bottleneck that has to be dealt with. Like Lucky said, he had to wait a month just for CLEO sign off, and some dont even make it past that, i think its a great thing that theyre cutting out an un-needed section of the process.

Agreed, but we already have a viable workaround in the form of a Trust. While I'm happy to see steps taken to eliminate this necessity, I'd rather see the ATF stop adding one day of wait for every three days that pass. They have the power to make dramatic and sweeping changes to the process that makes it simpler, cheaper, and more efficient and it requires no additional legislation. They choose not to for reasons of their own. Why they're choosing to throw us this rather pointless bone is a mystery.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I agree with most, the thing that stops me from getting suppressors is the wait time. ATF needs to get off their faces and do their job in a timely manner. How many of us would still be employed if we decided we wanted to take 6-8 months to do something that realistically should take only a few weeks. The rule should be.....if you can pass for a LTCH then you should be cleared with only a few minor steps to get NFA.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    The best solution to fix the wait times would be to repeal the NFA. Something that should have never existed in the first place. Don't look for it to happen though. With the amount of cash they're making from the tax there's no reasonable excuse for the times it currently takes. It's all about controlling the citizens. Something our government isn't supposed to do.

Top Bottom