• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EH91KY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Some of you may know I've been trying to sell my SKS. Well after no luck I decided I would just keep it. I took it shooting the other day and wasn't happy. My 30 round magazine has only jammed once since I've had it and that was with some lacquer coated ammo I was given. The other day it jammed 3 times :evil:

I bought a tapco 20 round mag, then I figured I might as well overhaul the rifle lol.

Step 1, remove the stock
    DSC01982.jpg

Step 2, scrape that crappy orange looking color off.
    DSC01983.jpg

Step 3, sand down the stock to remove additional stain and to remove any imperfections.
    DSC01985.jpg

Step 4, Pick the stain of your choice and go to town. Cover the whole stock then wipe of excess.
    DSC01988.jpg

In the meantime ( Step 5 waiting for polyurethane to dry, gave it four coats sanding in between) I polished the bolt carrier. This doesnt hurt the serial number. Here is a carrier not fully finished for comparison
    DSC01986.jpg

Also painted the receiver cover with chassis paint to remove the only small scratch the gun had
    DSC01990.jpg

Here are the final results. I'm very happy with it!

DSC01991.jpg
    [/quote]

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I love the color of that stock. It all turned out great!

But it looks like your bayonet is on upside down. It could just be the picture, but it should be concave when closed and it does not appear that way. Also, you may be out of 922r compliance if you have not changed the gas piston and trigger sears since you are keeping the original hand guard.

EH91KY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Thanks Guys. It cost about 25 bucks to do the stock. Stripper, stain, polyurethane, sandpaper and a cheesecloth. It's a Dark Walnut stain. Not sure what the stripper is, I'll let you know tomorrow.

I've gotten mixed feedback about the compliance rule. I've been looking into that. Right now the mag wont lock into the gun because I have the extended mag release on order, so I'm not sure if I solved that problem or not. Worst comes to worse I can always add parts or switch stocks.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yea, your not 922r compliant
    (*you're)

And you do know that you can't tell just by looking at the outside of the rifle...right?

(Small note: 922(r) compliance affects the builder / maker of the gun...not the buyer. It's still perfectly legal to buy a non-compliant gun)

So, perhaps OP purchased the gun with an aftermarket "duckbill" mag already?

Yes, it's dumb all the way 'round (especially when you consider that US-made rifle innards look just like foreign-made rifle innards).

-J-

EH91KY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    I've had the gun for about 10 years. My uncle gave it to me years ago and he has his class 3 license. When he gave it to me it had a 30 round USA mag, because he has more guns than anyone I know I never doubted its legality. I just replaced that with a 20 round Tapco. I've read the compliance rule and It's not very clear to me.

1. Bought the gun with a detachable mag
    2. I replaced faulty parts (the mag)
    3. I will never hunt with it, so it will be used for sporting purposes only
    4. Technically I didn't build the gun, I altered it. Much like changing the wheels on the car. Not mad, altered
    5. I dont see how changing the mag turns it into an assault weapon. It's legal to remove a shotguns plug as long as you are just using it for sporting, correct? How's this different.
    6. It's legal by State Law in terms of capacity and what not.
    7. It's a pre ban model
    8. If the US parts are made of steel just like the chinese parts and make it compliant. Why can't I claim that because I refinished the stock it's US made now? I sanded it down just a little so the physical shape has changed and the appearance is different. It's not marked chinese.

All looks like a bunch of BS, but I guess to be on the safe side I can just call the ATF and see what they have to say.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Nice SKS by the way. And I believe the bayonet is on correctly. If op turns it over the ring will not go on to the barrel as it is supposed to

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    ... My uncle gave it to me years ago and he has his class 3 license...

In the vein of education: There's no such thing as a "class 3 license".

Individuals can own individual tax-stamps that "allows" possession of Title II goodies (machine guns, suppressors, short-barreled rifles, AOWs, etc) and individuals / corporations can have certain Federal Firearms Licenses (FFL) that allow them to be in the business of manufacturing / altering / repairing / selling NFA awesomeness.

So, did/does your uncle work in the "gun business"? Just curious!

-J-

EH91KY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Pardon my ignorance. I've just heard it being called a class three license. He did not sell guns, just had a large collection. I knew he had a machine gun that he paid taxes on.

Thanks guys and yes the bayonet is on correctly

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    SKS looks beautiful. On the 922 compliance, the easiest and best way to get in compliance in my eyes is to get rid of the duckbill mags and put a box magazine back in it. But you did a great job on the refinish.

happyfiero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Campbellsburg IN.
    No you cant tell by looking at the rifle .

but his SKS has forum History. AND the stated facts by the owner
    point to the fact this SKS is not 922r compliant.
    YES 922r sucks Its just a way for the GOV. to Make it a pain in the ass to
    Modify, own and have fun with Your SKS.
    there is a 922r list of the parts that count .
    The stock as nice as it is
    is not made in the USA , no matter what you do to it , sorry
    put a cheese grater on it thats 1 part
    Here is my sons ITS 922r compliant BUt you cant Tell by looking at it LOL.
    abes1.jpg

AS far as the Bayonet Nuts
    they are talking the orientation of the bayo not the collar .
    The flat side shold be out when it's folded and the odd spine should be in the stock. Not a big deal, it's really a 50/50.
    The Bolt mode its simple and there is a ton of info out there.
    Basic
    remove you Bolt
    disassemble It Take a dermel and remove the wings from the bottom of the bolt. the red area
    bolt2.jpg

Go slow and easy, make it smooth and pretty.
    thats it.
    Also watch your tapco 20 , most wood stocks pinch them. Load a mag full
    insert . Duck bill in smooth rock and lock. if not sand down the
    stock mag opening on the sides untill its butter smooth.
    And If you dont want to play 922r just put in a stock 10 rd mag and buy some stripper clips

Last edited:

EH91KY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Thank for the help guys. Decided I'm just going to list the gun back up for sale without the magazines. Don't like the idea of switching out parts and I'm just not a fan of the box clip.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Nice SKS by the way. And I believe the bayonet is on correctly. If op turns it over the ring will not go on to the barrel as it is supposed to

Not exactly true. Yes the ring is correct because it would not fit on the barrel. However the bayonet can be rotated as another poster mentioned. It is a common mistake as the bayonet itself, not the ring, will go on either way.

ubertux

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Tell City
    Nice job, here is mine:
    052612122838.jpg

This one was purchased completely spray painted black, missing the factory mag, and came with a crappy 40 round steel mag that would not feed, would not even accept more than 28 rounds without the follower sticking. It also came with a bayonet that is cut about half way down. The paint was hiding these markings on the stock:
    052612122903.jpg

I got a factory mag for free from a friend of mine, and I think I'm going to order a new bayonet from amazon, here you can see how far they cut it, for reasons unknown.

052612122916.jpg

All in all I don't think I did too bad for around $200 into this gun.

EH91KY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nice Job! I bet I know the reasoning behind the cut bayonet. The 30+ round mags curve so much the bayonet will not fold ot unfold when the mag is locked in. They probably cut it down so the bayonet could function still

Top Bottom