• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breas1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Indy
    So i just bought a brand new to me unfired Russian Sks and i was wondering what i have to do to get it to accept the ak mags?

Thanks

Brad

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Someone with more milling experience will answer, but in short you'll have a LOT of work to do. I would imagine too much to make it worth the time, but like I said someone with more experience will weigh in.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm a member over on Survivors SKS boards, and this has been debated about as much as which is better - Glock or XD.

In short, it will take a very signifigant amount of machining work to get your SKS to fire from AK mags. There are of course the D and M variants that will fire from them as they are designed and built from the factory to do it.

If you have an unfired Russian, and have your heart set on an SKS that fires from AK mags, I highly suggest you look to trade for a D or M. There are many collectors out there that like the Russian SKS, since it is the father of all SKS's.

IF you are a very experienced and talented machinist, and are willing to risk permanently rendering your SKS inoperable, there are some instructions on the web on how to do the conversion. I've read posts about people that have been able to do it, so it isn't impossible - just impractical.

As an SKS owner, my :twocents: are to keep the Ruskie as it is and learn to use the SKS stripper clips, or sell it to buy an SKS D/M or an AK.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Is there a reason not to just get an AK if you want a rifle that uses AK mags? Am I missing something?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Is there a reason not to just get an AK if you want a rifle that uses AK mags? Am I missing something?
    I have a couple AKs, and wanted an SKS too, for commonality of ammo. It only made sense for me to get one that accepted the same magazines. Soo, I bought my friends Norinco Sporter. I paid him $250 last year and will probably never see that price for ANY SKS again. He really didn't know what he had, I didn't take advantage of him, I told him what they were selling for on GB. He said it was fine since he only paid $150 for it:dunno::whistle:

Last edited:

breas1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Indy
    Hey thanks to everyone for their help. I'm gunna pass on the work its not worth it to destroy the gun. And rhino maybe keep your remarks to your self if you have nothing of value to say. It was a simple question that i had and i got my answer to the question, I was wanting it to be simple but i knew it wouldn't be. Stock it stays.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    And rhino maybe keep your remarks to your self if you have nothing of value to say. It was a simple question that i had and i got my answer to the question, I was wanting it to be simple but i knew it wouldn't be.

Rhino had a valid point and was trying to steer you in the right direction. No need to be rude.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino had a valid point and was trying to steer you in the right direction. No need to be rude.

Sometimes people ask for help, but when they get help, they don't like it when they don't hear what they wanted to hear. Your assessment is 100% correct; I was trying to help and I was asking a question, not attempting to offend anyone.

I shall abide by that individual's wishes.

breas1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Indy
    Alright then if that is so they it was my mistake but it didn't come off that way. I was wanting it to be an easy mod to the gun, not one that i was 100% willing to do, but still if it was easy enough then I might do it. I'm not one to internet fight so no harm no foul, i just felt like it was a condescending remark. If it wasn't then OK. Don't get me wrong i appreciate all the help i can get. I don't pretend to know everything......but some day i will.

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I have a Russian I'll sell for 300. :dunno:
    Never did care for the SKS. The AK is such a better rifle.....as far as commie rifles go.

Top Bottom