• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I have the Yugoslavian SKS. Bought it new unissued in 2007 for the whopping price of $130...seller wanted $150 for it. :D

Great rifle! You dont have one already? :n00b: Get 2!

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    My personal Russian made SKS with 40 round Magazine

http://youtu.be/8T1OHXQl7e8
    SKS_zps514735e6.jpg

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    I have owned a couple of different SKS. They are fun to shoot and easy to customize. The price has definitely increased over the years. I got one for $100 in 1993. Last weekend, they were $500 at local gun shops.

balzack2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    South of Ft Wayne
    I had a paratrooper model, with a 30 round mag, pistol grip, and flash hider. I regret everyday selling it years ago. It was a blast to shoot and relatively accurate even with the shorter barrel. Good gun for the money.

Sonick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Louisville
    I cannot find any AR's available and I keep getting offered SKS's at Gun Shops. I don't know much about them except that they fire 7.62x39 ammo, which is the size AR I was interested in before they sold out EVERYWHERE in 3 days. So.....why do the shops still have the SKS? Are they not easy to operate, clean, etc.? Please give me your thoughts on the SKS as an alternative to an AR. Thanks:dunno:

I had a norinco with a dragonuv stock and absolutely loved it. It was my first 'tactical' rifle.

Watch for slam fires =p

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Very fun rifle. Very inexpensive. Parts are cheap if you want that tactical look. Myself, I love the reliability of a tried and tested battle rifle. Like they say, it does go boom everytime you hit the trigger. Which is what you're buying it for. It's a faily simple breakdown a little heavier than the rest of the rifles mentioned, but like Boris says "Heavy is a sign of reliability" course he was talking about a gun that didn't fire. Oof.

njbenja06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    could not agree more with what most people are saying. for the price they are a blast to shoot, cheap ammo available, and I have found my chinese and yugo sks to be pretty darn accurate. if i were you I would get the stripper clips and keep the internal 10 round. my yugo still has the original mag and my chinese has an aftermarket 20rd. while the 20rd can be pretty fun to shoot, i have had less feeding issues with the 10rd fed through stripper clips.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    could not agree more with what most people are saying. for the price they are a blast to shoot, cheap ammo available, and I have found my chinese and yugo sks to be pretty darn accurate. if i were you I would get the stripper clips and keep the internal 10 round. my yugo still has the original mag and my chinese has an aftermarket 20rd. while the 20rd can be pretty fun to shoot, i have had less feeding issues with the 10rd fed through stripper clips.
    Yes, this is what I've found to be true. The larger mags look "cooler" but it can take just as much time (or less) to reload with stripper clips especially if you take the time to get good with them. The Tapco and other detachable mags hold more rounds but sometimes do have problems loading more than 10 at a time anyway.
    I know, people are going to say "you didn't load and set them aside for three days like you're supposed to", but what I've found to be true is that the Tapco mags only seem to be reliant up to about 500 rounds or so. Guessing the spring and residue start making it a little less smooth, apart from the eventuality of them falling apart after a while.

BigWagon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Greentown
    My first surplus rifle was a sks. I've enjoyed it and really my only gripe is the weight. I used to see these for sale everywhere but not anymore. Is the surplus drying up on these?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I picked up a Yugo and flipped it to make a few bucks. It was a very well made weapon that will still be around long after I am gone. Hits on steel out at 150yrds were very hard and the gun was accurate. The more I shot it the better it got accuacy wise and less hang ups with the action. It was new unissued so it needed som severe cleaning and some break in time. With all the crap that is going on now if you cant find an AR grab an SKS. If you leave it in original condition you will always get your money back out of it and when things calm down trade it in on what you would really like. I kind of prefer them to the AK since it can be instantly reloaded with strippers and accuracy is better.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    Its been a long time since I have had one, but all of this talk about them has started to pique my interest in getting another one. Back in the day, a big draw was the low cost....not so much any longer.

Top Bottom