• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    warrick county
    unless it is a russian e.german or vietmanese bring back i wouldnt pay over 300.
    that being said alot of folks are saying keep it factory for reliability thats bs. unless you have stubby arms and long ass fingers for the trigger youl want a different stock. ati looks decent but i wouldnt trade it for my tapco t-6. i also run tapco 20 rnd mags with out any fte or ftf problems. metal mags and most pro mags are better served to wipe your butt with. if you look around hard enough you will find enough quality hardware that you can cheese up an sks just like you could an ar or ak .
    bottom line do your homework when buying add ons and buy quality stuff. if you see a 45 rnd magazine for $20 then there is a reason, its junk

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I absolutely love my sks. It is my favorite gun. I got rid of my AR and kept the sks.

One thing I didn't see commented on is the Yugo SKS with grenade launcher are less desirable on the market...or were 5 yrs Ago. Not sure if that's changed. Check barrel with a new round inserted into it to make sure it doesn't go all the way to the casing. Surplus rifles can have the barrels 'shot out'...so have to inspect for condition

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I have my brother in laws SKS in my safe with my AKs and Mosins. You can definitely see some similarities between them. The thing is definitely tough and really heavy.

newguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    warrick county
    I absolutely love my sks. It is my favorite gun. I got rid of my AR and kept the sks.

One thing I didn't see commented on is the Yugo SKS with grenade launcher are less desirable on the market...or were 5 yrs Ago. Not sure if that's changed. Check barrel with a new round inserted into it to make sure it doesn't go all the way to the casing. Surplus rifles can have the barrels 'shot out'...so have to inspect for condition
    the yugos have been selling for a pretty penny lately. yugos are just as well built as the russians albanians or the romanians. the only possible down side about the yugo is it does not have a chrome lined barrel like the russians did. the grenade launching adapter on the end of the barrel makes a good muzzle break if your crafty with a dremel.and the gas shut off valve could help with the accuracy. by turning the valve off you would essentially turn it into a "bolt action" there by letting you eject the spent casing manually.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I've had 3 SKS's and have one left. Sturdy ugly little gun. I just wish there were some way of giving it better sights (Iknow you can mount a scope on the dust cover but they all look ugly).

77broncoman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Martinsville, IN
    I had a Yugo SKS that was ultra reliable. I religiously cleaned right after shooting corrosive ammo since since the Yugos don't have chrome lined barrels. As compared to an AR, the only downfalls of my SKS were:
    1. Depending on configuration, they can be a little heavier/bulkier to carry in the field due to heavy milled receiver, bayonets, etc.
    2. Fewer scope mounting options. I tried one of the scope mounts that is integral with the receiver cover and it always lost zero anytime I took the gun apart for cleaning.

dsb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    I just sold my Yugo...kinda regretting it now I liked shooting it better than my Saiga AK. I was very reliable and pretty accurate. They are starting to get stupid expensive though. I sold mine for 3X what i paid for it. I have seen several listed for $500 or more

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I have a Russian one in a Shernick Gunworks bullpup stock, vertical forearm grip, flip up combat sights, and a red dot scope. A very nice setup and a blast to shoot. I use Tapco magazines in mine or I can use stripper clips.

LionsFan1911Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    I'll throw it out there since no one has. If you remove your 10 round mag and make your SKS to take the detachable 30 round mags, here are two foods for thought:

1) You must now make sure your SKS is 922r compliant

@Stainer (or anyone else who can answer)--- I went ahead and purchased an SKS on Gunbroker due to all of the good feedback here. It comes with 4- 30 rd mags. Can you explain to me a little more about it needing to be 922r compliant because I have no idea what that means. Will I have any problems once it arrives at my local gun shop and I go pick it up? Thanks for the input

Top Bottom