• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I just said that 6 months is too early to see the real results of this experiment. I hope it keeps going like it is, but we'll need more time to make that decision.

I think it is unwise to base your philosophy on statistics. Would it matter to you if banning guns positively affected crime stats? Why should it matter here?

If crime improves, its simply a perk, not the fundamental reason to stand for something. Crime could go UP (theoretically) and prohibition would still be utterly immoral and wrong.

Why? Because prohibition is the use of force against nonviolent people. Genuinely free people have the right to grow plants, own plants, sell plants, and ingest plants. A government that respects liberty does not micromanage citizens' lives as long as they are minding their own business.

This country has been oppressing people for decades over this. Its heinous. No statistic can erase that injustice.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    He was agreeing with you. 6 months is not enough time. I can show that crime will continue to increase in Indy then take a dramatic downturn around November. It has nothing to do with marijuana. I guarantee all the drug dealers (where crime is most prevalent) didnt all go out and become doctors or something worthwhile. It's not the drug, it's the hustle. Many will move on to vehicle theft/chop shops or human trafficing. Eventually dealers that cant make it in other lucritive criminal enterprises will be forced to other cities. While I dont doubt that crime may decrease, 6 months isn't enough time to make an informed judgement based on the data. 5 years will allow you to compare factors like weather etc.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I agree, too early to tell much of anything other than their edible market is ridiculously out of control and is hurting people.

Who predicted blood in the streets? Are we resorting to straw man arguments?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Murder rate's down, too. As for your contention that weed is a gateway drug, no-one agrees with you. If that were true we'd have millions of heroin addicts. And yet, we don't. That whole gateway nonsense was disproven years ago. Prohibition doesn't work and Colorado is living proof of that.

Weed is a gateway drug for many people but not all. Some people smoke weed on the weekends or very seldom but still do. Those type of users are not at much risk of it becoming a gateway drug. It seems to me that the new step in or on the gateway ladder in heroin. There are many, many heroin addicts and heroin use is growing by the day. Anyone that has been around the addict scene much would say without a doubt it is bad stuff. I have never talked to a heroin (or any other drug) addict that didn't smoke weed first. I am sure there are some but I would guess it would be quite rare.

I think Indiana is doing it right. Keep it illegal and lower the penalties.

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Oh, you know the author? Tell us about him. :popcorn:

Edit ti add: I guess you didn't click on any of the supporting links? As usual?
    My apologies!

Chris Miles "worked with the Clinton Foundation". Source?

Six Months After Legalizing Marijuana, Two Big Things Have Happened in Colorado - Mic

When the source is posted by the OP, it's reasonable to presume that the information posted has been read by the OP, and the source author scrutinized.

It's also reasonable to presume it 'common knowledge', in this day and age, that the founders of the Clinton Foundation are pro-pot, radical leftie-loons. :lmfao:

Though not a 'guarantee', it's also reasonable to presume that a source author with a poly-sci Masters and a journalism BA is likely to be a left-loon liberal. Particularly so considering, generally speaking, the rabid left-loon nature of universities and journalism over the last 50 years or so. However, whom that individual has "worked with" does provide additional evidence.

Further evidence can be discovered if one 'bothers' to research other articles and rhetoric from the source author. Available through the same link as originally posted. :laugh:

My first response stands, thank you. :yesway:

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Well said.

I think it is unwise to base your philosophy on statistics. Would it matter to you if banning guns positively affected crime stats? Why should it matter here?

If crime improves, its simply a perk, not the fundamental reason to stand for something. Crime could go UP (theoretically) and prohibition would still be utterly immoral and wrong.

Why? Because prohibition is the use of force against nonviolent people. Genuinely free people have the right to grow plants, own plants, sell plants, and ingest plants. A government that respects liberty does not micromanage citizens' lives as long as they are minding their own business.

This country has been oppressing people for decades over this. Its heinous. No statistic can erase that injustice.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Weed is a gateway drug for many people but not all. Some people smoke weed on the weekends or very seldom but still do. Those type of users are not at much risk of it becoming a gateway drug. It seems to me that the new step in or on the gateway ladder in heroin. There are many, many heroin addicts and heroin use is growing by the day. Anyone that has been around the addict scene much would say without a doubt it is bad stuff. I have never talked to a heroin (or any other drug) addict that didn't smoke weed first. I am sure there are some but I would guess it would be quite rare.

I knew somebody here would make this argument and here it is .

Calling weed a gateway drug is just as silly as saying hammers build walls out of square , spoons make people fat and that guns kill people .

What is it that the INGO scientists like to say , "correlation doesn't mean causation " .

Did it ever occur to you that addicts have some sort of underlying psychosis that started long before they ingested any drugs ?

Maybe , just maybe they started with weed / alcohol because as kids , it's one of the easiest things to get ahold of .

Maybe the high from alcohol and weed doesn't quite do it for them so they move on to something harder that will .

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011

if thats the case wouldnt alcohol or ciggarettes be the gateway drug(s)? Hell why stop there, nowadays kids are all over prescription drugs.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup.

Because healthy gums lead to a healthy heart. Or is it just that people that take care of themselves tend to brush their teeth.....

I knew somebody here would make this argument and here it is .

Calling weed a gateway drug is just as silly as saying hammers build walls out of square , spoons make people fat and that guns kill people .

What is it that the INGO scientists like to say , "correlation doesn't mean causation " .

Did it ever occur to you that addicts have some sort of underlying psychosis that started long before they ingested any drugs ?

Maybe , just maybe they started with weed / alcohol because as kids , it's one of the easiest things to get ahold of .

Maybe the high from alcohol and weed doesn't quite do it for them so they move on to something harder that will .

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Sugar is a gateway drug. When kool-aid wouldn't do it for me anymore, I moved to pop, then tea, then coffee.

If I don't get this under control I'm going to be one of those sleeping in a box under the Penn St. bridge.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have 3 family members who have went down a very bad road with drug abuse & addiction. All 3 said same thing, pot just didn't cut it for them anymore, they wanted a better high. Does that mean everybody will be that way, of course not. In my small experience (yes I smoked weed in college, & loved it), the vast majority of my friends/family that used weed either went on to harder drugs, or were pretty useless until they became homeless & decided to give up the pot.

I lost most of my high school friends when they moved onto pills & powder, if I wouldn't do it also, I couldn't hang with them. I tried to talk them out of it, but finally walked away. I was the only one that didn't want anything to do with more.

I have internal conflicts with legalization, as I see both sides. I can't help believe we'd all be better off if all this stuff just didn't exist, but it does, & people are trying to fill something missing. I have no need for it, & very Thankful for that.

My drugs of choice are Mexican Food & Bacon! Therapy is via shooting holes in paper, & the ting of steel.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Looks like it's Mountain Dew and 5 hour energy for you next. Be careful...

Sugar is a gateway drug. When kool-aid wouldn't do it for me anymore, I moved to pop, then tea, then coffee.

If I don't get this under control I'm going to be one of those sleeping in a box under the Penn St. bridge.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    It could be argued that the mexican food and bacon are worse for you than MJ.

You sir have just insulted bacon, I say ban hammer!

No doubt, never said it wasn't, we all seem to have our issues. I've not googled it at all, but wonder what long term use of smoking weed does to lungs?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I don't know. I don't smoke. But I'm sure it can't be much worse than what ciragettes do. I've seen people smoking 2 or more packs of cigarettes per day. And that's not rare. So even if MJ is as bad a cigarettes, I don't think people can smoke the same volume to make it as bad, or maybe they can...I'm not sure.

And I love me some bacon. Recently, I stuffed some jalapenos with cheese, wrapped them in bacon, smoked them, then grilled them while pouring beer on top of them. Try it ;)

You sir have just insulted bacon, I say ban hammer!

No doubt, never said it wasn't, we all seem to have our issues. I've not googled it at all, but wonder what long term use of smoking weed does to lungs?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    What I've heard about MJ effect on the lungs was that it delivered more tar, but that the small amount smoked compared to your average cigarette smoker pretty much offsets the effects of that.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012

Completely different world view.

+1 or should I say double plus ungood

Top Bottom