• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So, checking in from south-central Texas...

My county, 714 sq miles, pop 169,440, has as of y'day 73 cases of C-19, of which 37 are active cases and 36 are recovered, and no deaths. Four have been hospitalized, with one recovered. Eleven cases have occurred in the unincorporated area (where I live, with my 15 acres of social distancing), the rest in the cities. The cities are in three clusters: Cibolo/Schertz/Selma (basically northeast San Antonio along I-35), the part of New Braunfels on the Guadalupe side of the county line (also on I-35), and Seguin, the county seat in the center of the county (fun fact: Texas Constitution requires the county seat to be within 12 (i think) miles of the geographic center of the county).

I think my county has been touched pretty lightly, and it would have been even less if Cibolo/Schertz/Selma weren't contiguous parts of San Antonio along the interstate. (If you look at a map of Texas corona virus hotspots you can see I-35 running from San Antonio to Dallas). We've had the essential business only-curbside/takeout food service rules for a couple weeks now, and happily HEB and Walmart both had started experimenting with curbside grocery delivery prior to the SHTF, so they were somewhat prepped for this. It's been very popular, open time slots for pick up are usually at least a week out, so the wife has been scheduling on pick up at each store as soon as they come available, then added stuff to the list as we approached the pick up date, and that has worked out well. The apps for HEB and Walmart do seem to get overwhelmed once in a while. I laid in my hoard/prepper cache well before the SHTF, so we were in pretty good shape to start with, but for solidarity's sake we laid in some more TP, paper towels, ammo, and another rifle for the heck of it. :D The main thing I was worried about was to have enough kitty and horse chow if the supply system hiccupped or I got sick and couldn't leave my property. Once that was taken care of we were golden.

Texas is getting ready to unwind the rules a little bit starting Friday to open more of the retail stores, and hopefully more by mid-May. I've been to work each day, albeit with reduced hours, as I work in an "essential business" (self-storage). It's basically been a semi-vacation for me which has been nice. It is an hourly wage job, so I padded the paycheck with some vacation hours. I'm not one of the people who burns up every bit of vacation time as soon as I get it, in fact had quite a few hours banked. Also I don't run my bank accounts down to zero either, so the restricted cash flow doesn't cause immediate crisis.

All in all for me this has been a relatively mild, and boring, crisis. Hopefully we'll turn the economic curve upward soon enough and sharply enough that this will be the nadir for the Alamo tribe.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well the liquor stores are taking full advantage of their Essential Business classification. Every store I have been to has at least a couple of people in line for the curbside service.

Went to the downtown Fort Wayne Belmont which is in the (shutdown) business district downtown. There were at least a dozen people in the lot. A van load of drywallers just loaded up and left as I pulled in. Got in line and got my three bottles of wine for my wife. Most of the rest of the youth in the parking lot were buying single bottles of fotay.

I actually had trouble finding parking at Coney Island last week.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I tried raising chickens. Never had any luck. I figure I was either planting them too deep or too close together. ;)

I did ok with the raising chickens part. The problem was I thought we were going to eat them. Turns out the raccoons, fox, coyotes and hawks were the ones getting a good meal. :):

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So, who’s gonna work if a large chunk of their folks are out with the China Flu and that’s why they closed? I wonder how long the virus lasts on bacon and ground beef?

Isn’t a large part of that is the feared legal repercussions the factories might face from “inadequate” protections? If he hasn’t already, I thought I understood Trump was going to do some sort of EO to address that. (Not sure if it was a part of the order for them to stay open).

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Isn’t a large part of that is the feared legal repercussions the factories might face from “inadequate” protections? If he hasn’t already, I thought I understood Trump was going to do some sort of EO to address that. (Not sure if it was a part of the order for them to stay open).

That was my understanding. The plants are closing as much as a hedge against lawsuits as anything. Now they can blame the Feds...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    So, who’s gonna work if a large chunk of their folks are out with the China Flu and that’s why they closed? I wonder how long the virus lasts on bacon and ground beef?

Isn’t that what the National Guard is for?
    It goes away when you cook it, for sure.

Wouldn’t they already have PPE to work in a slaughterhouse?

I think it’s a desperate move by a desperate government to keep the people from an all out panic. If he can convince the masses that there won’t be a shortage, maybe there won’t be, maybe. Same idea as flattening the curve of virus infections to keep from overwhelming hospitals.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will close this if you guys wonder of point again. There are 3 active threads on this right now. Pick the right one and say your piece please. I guess my earlier "Suggestion" was blown off.

It may not seem like much to you but I am not you. And you are not me.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Zionsville area Lowe's Saturday and Sunday. I was surprised that mask wear was probably no more than 50%, Even among staff. Had everything I needed, though checkout seemed slow with the distancing.

If there is a silver lining, people seem to be a little more polite...

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Got my little 10.5 cu. ft. chest freezer today from Menards.

:rockwoot:

If we are still on "lockdown," you could have fooled me. Heaviest traffic I've seen in days and lots of crowded parking lots. Beech Grove area.

Kroger at Southport and Franklin nearly cleaned out of meats of all types except fish and turkey. No ground beef at all. Frozen pizzas picked over. I did get a couple of packages of split chicken breasts. I went late, right before closing and there were only a few people there. Almost no one was wearing a mask, employees included. Will hit it again in the AM to see if they've restocked some meat and other assorted frozen items.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sams club west indy. Lots of empty shelves and missing product. There was toilet paper but limit 1 per. Same with paper towels. Absolutely no Lysol etc or wipes. None. Meat dept was scary empty. We got the last two burger packages and close to the last chicken legs and tenders. No breasts.
    No canned corn/beans etc. No frozen corn.

Looked like there was plenty of booze so they had that covered.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom