• ...and so much more!
  • LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Hickman, you can shoot my lowly Kimber Custom II if you like

EDIT: It might be good for you to see how an entry level 1911 cost weapon shoots compared to a "loaded" 1911

Last edited:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Kimber Custom TLE II. Here is mine.

NewKImber006.jpg

My Kimber Pro-Carry (pre-series II)

NewestKimber001.jpg

My Kimber Tactical Ultra II,

Kimber_TU_005.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    after jumping around the Kimber and Springfield websites... I may be getting addicted to the 1911 platform... so sexy.

Last edited:

JUMBO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Also Get a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster since You will itch to carry that competition pistol for other than IDPA. I didnt believe the hype till i dropped the cash on one and I am not dissapointed. I'm a fat guy and it is still very comfortable! By far the best holster I have found to date!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Also Get a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster since You will itch to carry that competition pistol for other than IDPA. I didnt believe the hype till i dropped the cash on one and I am not dissapointed. I'm a fat guy and it is still very comfortable! By far the best holster I have found to date!

yeah, I love the supertucks for my Glocks as well

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    have you considered calling any of the builders who know practical shooting? Benny Hill, or EGW, or canyon creek come to mind... might not cost much more than something off the shelf.

Otherwise, I'd say STI, SA, or Bear.
    (in that order. STI supports the sport and has the contingency program, SA definitely supports the sport, and bear will happily take your $).

-rvb

I thought I remembered you asking this before.....
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/shooting_sports/70434-single_stack_gun.html
    No wonder your post count is so high, you post whore! ;)

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm thinking I will primarily be competing in the Production Division, but I do want a nice 1911 for HD, sometimes carry and the occasional Single Stack/Steel match and FNS.

Don't laugh, but I want one that looks bad *** too :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If I had a $1500 budget . . . I'd do somethin' a li'l like this:

STI Trojan or Springfield TRP.

But . . . unless you get a boutique gun (like a Les Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, etc.), it will still need a little tweaking to make it into what you really want. Depending on what you order with your Trojan, you may not have to do as much.

It's likely you'll want a good trigger job done. Be very, very selective about who you allow to do this once you are ready to do it. I've handled some factory new TRPs with really nice triggers, but at some point you'll want it just the way you like it. For instance, I prefer almost no pretravel/take-up and about 3 lbs or a little under. That's not a great idea for someone who rides the trigger or someone who can't keep their booger hooker away from the bang switch until they're ready to shoot, but it's what I've learned to prefer over the last 16 years or so of shooting 1911s.

There will be more people who can blend the external magwell to the frame, remove any sharp edges, tune the thumb safety etc. All fo this and the trigger job can come after you shoot it a while and perhaps none of it will be necessary.

There are some reasons why I don't recommend Kimbers (even though I have three that are absolutely not for sale).

1. Series II firing pin safeties. Not necessary and just like the Series 80 style safeties you'll find on most Colt's and all Paras, they can cause problems when they don't work right. The most common with the Kimber Swartz-style is that you can get failures to fire if there are either tolerance or peening problems. You can work around it, but why bother?

2. The grip safeties are too low. Each of my Kimbers have had either a Chimp McCormick or an Ed Brown grip safety refitted to them to allow a higher grip. Again, you can change this, but why bother?

By contrast, the STI grip safety is a winner. In addition to allowing a nice, high grip on the gun, they also have cutouts to relieve any pressure on the joint between your thumb and hand. Some people don't have a problem with it, but if your hand is shaped just the right way, it can make a huge difference for you.

The S&A grip safety that Springfield uses on its loaded (and up) models is also a great part.

I have no experience with the Dan Wesson guns. I know some rave about them, but I've never seen one in person.

If you really want to do it right, though, you should have one built from scratch or have something like a Springfield Mil-Spec customized to meet your preferences. On the other hand, since you don't really have a list of must-have preferences yet, it makes sense to go with a Trojan or TRP and have it massaged a little into a gun you'll keep the rest of your life even if you do get a full custom gun built later.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Good post Rhino, I think it'll be down to the

Springfield Armory TRP Armory Kote

or

Springfield 1911A1 Loaded Trophy Match

or

The STI Trojan