• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonehead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Vincennes
    I own 2 Kimbers (one 45 and the other 10mm) and love them both, but for my next mid-level 1911 I think I am going to seriously take a look at a Dan Wesson Valor but thats just my :twocents:

Though if I had the cash there would be a SVI double-stack in 10mm sitting on my hip :)....... but that is like so out of the price range at this time.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'm probably going to buy a new SS gun next year. Mine will be strictly for competition so I'm going to talk to the guys Ryan mentioned (and maybe a few others) and have one built for me.
    FO front sight, Bomar type rear, arched magwell, super quality parts throughout with Joey's trigger.

I'm not sure if they will build the gun on a commercial (STI, etc) frame and slide or buy a pistol, gut it and build on that. But whichever, I'm hopefully going to end up with a very top of the line SS .45.

Then I'm going to shoot it till I break either it or the 650.:ar15:

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I didn't have time to get a lot of customework done...I did a lot of research and was about to pull the trigger on a SA Loaded when my regular gun dealer had a guy drop in with a Les Baer concept IV that was NIB but the owner needed $$$$$...so I jumped and picked it up for $1500.

I have only shot it once but compared to my Colt A1 and my Charles Daly compact, it was the best gun I ever shot....

I understand budgets....but if you can find a custom to try out it may be less $$ in the long run to buy than to get a base gun and do a lot of mods to it.

Part of the fun is to do the mods...and it is often easier on the cash flow.

The most important thing is that you continue to do what you are doing and that is research....Guns are like wine....it doesn't matter how much it costs if you don't like it.:twocents:

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    I own 2 Kimbers (one 45 and the other 10mm) and love them both, but for my next mid-level 1911 I think I am going to seriously take a look at a Dan Wesson Valor but thats just my :twocents:

I really hope that you like the Valor. I have 2 Dan Wessons and think you will be shocked by their quality. They are really, really good guns.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I highly recammend the TRP

I have Kimbers and this TRP and I flat out can't shoot this thing enough. Its easy and accurate every time. I'm thinking if I can get some more mags that I might try it out in the next Friday Night Steel. It would be my first time shooting FNS but want to shoot something I'm confident I can do well with.

Get one - PM and if you want to get together to see it or shoot it let me know,

picture.php

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Got 1911?

For your Budget of $1500 I would look into a used Wilson, Nighthawk etc.... or a high end Kimber, SA etc... and buy a Dillon. I have been very happy with my Kimbers, I had issues with SA and the Colt was sold during a layoff, but here are the pics:

Come on!

Where are all these sexy 1911's I'm always hearing about?!?

Here are my Kimbers:

kimbers.jpg

KimberTLE001.jpg

A SA 1911:

0b0b8ab2.jpg

Colt Delta Elite 10mm:

Coltdelta001.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You shoulda bought that S-V single stack gun that Kent had made for him and then sold. That thing was sweet.

I'm probably going to buy a new SS gun next year. Mine will be strictly for competition so I'm going to talk to the guys Ryan mentioned (and maybe a few others) and have one built for me.
    FO front sight, Bomar type rear, arched magwell, super quality parts throughout with Joey's trigger.

I'm not sure if they will build the gun on a commercial (STI, etc) frame and slide or buy a pistol, gut it and build on that. But whichever, I'm hopefully going to end up with a very top of the line SS .45.

Then I'm going to shoot it till I break either it or the 650.:ar15:

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I am currently uploading a video review of the Detonics Scoremaster I talk about shooting HERE. It does not have a rail and after I got the Wilson mags for it, it has been 100% flawless.

I am not sure if you will be able to find a deal like I did but it does seem to fit your criteria. It is, out of all the 1911s I have shot, my favorite by far. I am by no means anything resembling a 1911 expert but I have shot enough to get a good idea of what I like in a pistol and what I cannot stand. The Scoremaster is everything I wanted and has given me more than I expected.

edit - here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46YBB0t6O3g

Last edited:

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    springfield TRP

+1 for the TRP! But I would also look at the DW Valor...for the money it is fantastic...and very calssic at the same time. For a lot less money than what you are looking to spend..you can also look at a Kimber Custom Tactical...all the bells and whistles...and a great firearm. Be sure if you are looking at a Kimber, get the internal extractor!

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I'm not sure what everyone thinks of Para Ordnance, but CDNN has some good pricing on their 1911s right now:

Para Ordnance SSP
    · 45acp · 5" Barrel · Stainless · Fixed Sights · Light Double Action ·
    Walnut Grips · 2-8rd MAgs · NO Full-Length Guide Rod · New
    #PARDX745SL
    $689.99

Springfield Trophy Match · 45acp · Stainless · Adjustable Sights · Accessory Pack · New
    #SPRPI9140LP
    $1099.99

Para Ordnance · Todd Jarrett · 45acp · 5" Barrel · TuTone Black w/Stainless Sides ·
    Adjustable Sights w/Fiber Optic Front · Ambi. Safety · Mag Well · Full Length Guide Rod ·
    Marked "Practical Shooting" on Slide and Grips ·
    2-8rd Mags · Shot Show DEMO
    #PARPX745J
    $789.99

Para Ordnance 745 · 45acp · 5" Barrel · Stainless w/Black Accents and Grip · Fixed
    Sights · 2-7rd Mags · Excellent Condition · SHOT SHOW DEMO
    #PARPX745SGD
    $599.99

Para Ordnance Gun Rights (745) · 45acp · 5" Match Barrel · Stainless · Fiber Optic Front
    Sight · 2-7rd Mags · Excellent Condition · SHOT SHOW DEMO
    #PARPX745SGRD
    $599.99

Para Ordnance SSP · 45acp · 5" Barrel · Stainless · Night Sights · Walnut Grip · 2-7rd Mags ·
    SHOT SHOW DEMO
    #PARPX745SND
    $679.99

Para Ordnance SSP · 45acp · 5" Barrel · Stainless · Walnut Grip · Ambidextrous Safety ·
    Fiber Optic Red Front Sight · 2-7rd Mags · SHOT SHOW DEMO
    #PARPX745STDE
    $599.99

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Very nice video!! Thanks for posting it!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. I did what I could with my webcam and my video editing noob skills (or lack of video editing, :):)

I think there has been some valuable input for you in this thread and hopefully you can find exactly what it is that you want/need as that is the most important thing.

Top Bottom