• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So . . . just after a tire blowout on I-74 this morning, I learned that the spare tire on my trusty 2002 Silverado no longer wants to lower and present itself for use. In the rain, naturally.

Blowout is resolved and all (other than my wallet) is well in that regard, but I am still not able to lower the spare. I think it's probably rusty.

I don't want to cut it. Anyone with a lift or pit who wants to try to help me encourage it function again?

[video=youtube;r8vr4fi99V4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=r8vr4fi99V4[/video]

There,I feel better.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Seriously, under the car sucks.
    It will worka thousand times.
    Till you need it in the pouring rain.

My spare on the front is a full size tire, I got new tires and kept that one. Got a rim from the junkyard.
    Underneath I still have a donut.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Common issue in most GM vehicles from the late 90's to current. They utilize a locking mechanism that prevents the spare tire from falling if the cable breaks. The problem is that it's a cheap, bent/stamped sheet-metal design with moving parts and its completely exposed to the elements (hanging under the rear of a vehicle in salty/dirty/wet condition) and they very rarely ever work unless they are maintained religiously. I had the same problem on my wife's 2009 Buick Enclave; I was able to reach a long screwdriver through 1 of the holes in the rim of the spare and "pop" the mechanism free and get it to lower.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My buddy rhino :

two backup guns. 6 knives. Baton. Pepper spray. Multi tool. Wears bobby pins in his hair just in case he might have to pick a pair of cuffs.

Not prepared to change a flat.

:D

-rvb

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    My buddy rhino :

two backup guns. 6 knives. Baton. Pepper spray. Multi tool. Wears bobby pins in his hair just in case he might have to pick a pair of cuffs.

-rvb

A real man would have shot the cable in half, installed spare tire and drove off like a boss...

Rhino would have found a way to screw that up, he would have tried to use a knife and would have cut himself, I am guessing by now that he is into stuff like that...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    A real man would have shot the cable in half, installed spare tire and drove off like a boss...
    I know you're joking around now but in all reality, severing the cable wouldn't have allowed the tire to drop. It's the stupid "safety mechanism" (prevents the tire from dropping in the case that the cable IS severed) that always causes these problems.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    had the same thing happen on my suburban. I cut the cable and safety mechanism off with a saw zaw. went to the hardware store and got a cable tie and reused the old holder that goes in the center. Works just like the old ones now.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Common issue in most GM vehicles from the late 90's to current. They utilize a locking mechanism that prevents the spare tire from falling if the cable breaks. The problem is that it's a cheap, bent/stamped sheet-metal design with moving parts and its completely exposed to the elements (hanging under the rear of a vehicle in salty/dirty/wet condition) and they very rarely ever work unless they are maintained religiously. I had the same problem on my wife's 2009 Buick Enclave; I was able to reach a long screwdriver through 1 of the holes in the rim of the spare and "pop" the mechanism free and get it to lower.

Sure would be handy if they told you that in the Owner's manual.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the OP, I'm gonna have to check mine out, it's an 03 Silverado. I checked it out a few years ago, and it still has the original spare tire mounted and worked fine. I'm a firm believer in preventative maintence, but I've definitely overlooked the spare.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Sure would be handy if they told you that in the Owner's manual.

I think mine does, I seem to remember reading through it when mine got stuck. I believe it said that it could happen and to use the jack to apply enough pressure to break the safety loose. Pretty stupid, that they wouldn't fix the problem, just tell you one way you might be able to fix it, especially a way which isn't exactly convenient on the side for the road.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thanks for the OP, I'm gonna have to check mine out, it's an 03 Silverado. I checked it out a few years ago, and it still has the original spare tire mounted and worked fine. I'm a firm believer in preventative maintence, but I've definitely overlooked the spare.

A LOT of people overlook it. Probably why there's so much about it on the internet.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Yep, had a similar problem with our Blazer, except the cable became so corroded it finally broke, and had to install a new one. Now it gets lubed up every fall.

'Maintenance' is funny that way... :laugh:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My buddy rhino :

-rvb

When you put it that way, I seem even more retarded than when I am negligently cutting myself! And you're right!

Now I am better prepared:

1. Still have AAA
    2. Shiny new Firestone spare tire, winch functional and lubed.

Rhino would have found a way to screw that up, he would have tried to use a knife and would have cut himself, I am guessing by now that he is into stuff like that...

And you are correct!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My 04 GMC (same) did the same thing. Nothing we did made it happy. I cut the cable and went to my buddy's scrape yard and found a functional replacement. Soaked it in a good lube before mounting it.

Top Bottom