• actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This.

I had to take my 2007 Silverado to the dealer and even they couldn't get if to free up. Ended up cutting it out with a torch.

Now the spare is in the bed.

Yet another crappy GM design.

Not just GM, I almost always carry a floor jack and four way with me just in case. Twice I have tried to help woman in Dodge minivans with flats. One time, it was so rusty, after beating it enough, it came down but it was flat. I had to get to work, so I took her home and happened to catch her after she got the flat fixed. Another time, I came across someone with the same issue. The spare was also flat, they were right near a tire shop so it was fixed faster.

Right. I've heard and seen this on various mfgers.
    Probably, cause no one periodically lubes them.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.

I quoted him for my signature, I figure if he sees that just once a day for a couple weeks it will burn in his head and he will stop trying to kill himself...

Seriously Rhino you have to cut the cable, on my last GM truck the spare tire assembly was only 3 easy to get to bolts, we are talking a 15min. fix and it will be good to go (so long as you keep the new one lubbed...)

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I heard about the problem with these spare winch's shortly after I bought my '03 sierra, I decided to check it out in my driveway before a long trip, and sure enough mine wouldn't come down. I was able to get down with PB blaster, and I think a bottle jack to put pressure on the safety deal; without jacking up the truck or anything, just on my back in the driveway. It's a pretty bad design flaw for the safety to rust up. Other than carrying the spare in the bed, I don't know any other solutions besides cutting the safety off or just lubing it regularly.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I don't feel bad for anyone that has one froze up, think about it, it is steel and cable that sees salt and rain every year for 8-10 years then you expect to be in perfect working order, guessing the same person expects the spare time to be full of air as well...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Curiously, I have them check the pressure in the spare each time I have the tires rotated (every other oil change).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Do they check it, or say they check it?
    Also, maybe on the rack they don't need to lower it.

They do check the pressure and they don't need to lower it to do so.

If I do get this thing working again, it's getting greased like there's no tomorrow!

Or would an anti-seize product be better?

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    They do check the pressure and they don't need to lower it to do so.

If I do get this thing working again, it's getting greased like there's no tomorrow!

Or would an anti-seize product be better?

Again Fluid Film is the product you will want to use...

Dale1320

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2015
    Brownsburg
    Soak it with Kroil several times over the next couple of days. My Grandpa taught me years ago to mix Type F transmission fluid and acetone 50/50 as a penetrating lube. Use a syringe like the free ones they give you at CVS to apply it. This works surprisingly well.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Soak it with Kroil several times over the next couple of days. My Grandpa taught me years ago to mix Type F transmission fluid and acetone 50/50 as a penetrating lube. Use a syringe like the free ones they give you at CVS to apply it. This works surprisingly well.

acetone
    not actaeon.

There's a difference. Really.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Update:

Took the truck to my regular shop in Crawfordsville this morning. I asked them to try to get the spare to lower and it lowered easily on the first try. It wasn't stuck at all and it wasn't rusted.

I understand why the tow truck guy had trouble in the rain on the side of the road. What I don't understand is why the people in the shop in Brownsburg couldn't do it. At this point, I suspect that they may not have even tried to lower the spare.

This troubles me.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Update:

Took the truck to my regular shop in Crawfordsville this morning. I asked them to try to get the spare to lower and it lowered easily on the first try. It wasn't stuck at all and it wasn't rusted.

I understand why the tow truck guy had trouble in the rain on the side of the road. What I don't understand is why the people in the shop in Brownsburg couldn't do it. At this point, I suspect that they may not have even tried to lower the spare.

This troubles me.

Did you lube it while it was down?

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    There's a cotter pin at the end of the rod and it will break leaving the winch inoperable. If this is broken no amount of penetrating oil will help. Sometimes you can look through the spare and see if the rod is turning the winch gear. Be prepared, you may have to cut the cable.

Edit: I was late to the game, rhino got it fixed.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There's a cotter pin at the end of the rod and it will break leaving the winch inoperable. If this is broken no amount of penetrating oil will help. Sometimes you can look through the spare and see if the rod is turning the winch gear. Be prepared, you may have to cut the cable.

latest

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Did you lube it while it was down?

Yes, as per my request they "lubed the crap out it."

The latch might have been stuck,and just gave loose when the last shop worked on it.

I acknowledge this as a possibility, especially since I drove a significant distance after it happened, which also could have loosened any stuck parts. Thus, I will not level any accusations, but I remain suspicious.

Never pass an opportunity to throw a Nelson Ha-Ha in a conversation!

Top Bottom