• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So . . . just after a tire blowout on I-74 this morning, I learned that the spare tire on my trusty 2002 Silverado no longer wants to lower and present itself for use. In the rain, naturally.

Blowout is resolved and all (other than my wallet) is well in that regard, but I am still not able to lower the spare. I think it's probably rusty.

I don't want to cut it. Anyone with a lift or pit who wants to try to help me encourage it function again?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Salt sucks.

You could have the opposite problem. Out west, I have seen loose tire hangers dangling down while they're driving on the freeways. :nailbite:

I'd rather have a rusted nut than a loose dangler. :):.........wait......

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Under the vehicle sucks sucks sucks.

Also, if someone steals the spare, when do you find out??????
    Right, when you need it.

Problem solved.

IMG_0287_zps5d827e59.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oh, and after knowing someone with that problem, researched.
    Seems to be common.
    And, once a year they should be taken down and lubed.

NOT with WD-40.
    With a real lube. WD-40 is for removing water.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Spray with PB blaster or the like then wait a while. Spray it again after 30 mins or so, then get the BFH and beat on it. Try turning tightening it a little bit to see if that will help break it free. Wear glasses.....crap is gonna fall down on you. Rinse and repeat as necessary. There is no trick.

Im sure you know this now but, when checking the air in your tires (assuming you do), its advisable to let that bad boy down a little and soak it a couple times a year 'cuz its gonna happen again. This coming from a guy with 2 of 'em that are over 10 years old.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    You need to cut the cable then unbolt the spare tire assembly and buy/install a new one.

Always keep the spare tire lock packed with dielectrical grease to keep it free from rusting.

Remove the spare tire each fall and spray the crap out of it with Fluid Film.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for the advice, guys.

I will be spraying the crap out of it with some kind of penetrating oil when I am able to actually get to it.

I'm not sure I should be allowed to beat on it with a BFH, though. We've seen what happens when I handle sharp tools and I'm not looking forward to Blunt Force Trauma.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If you're havin' tire problems I feel bad for you son
    I've got 99 problems, but a winch ain't one.

Now, off to check my wench.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    You need to cut the cable then unbolt the spare tire assembly and buy/install a new one.

Always keep the spare tire lock packed with dielectrical grease to keep it free from rusting.

Remove the spare tire each fall and spray the crap out of it with Fluid Film.

This.

I had to take my 2007 Silverado to the dealer and even they couldn't get if to free up. Ended up cutting it out with a torch.

Now the spare is in the bed.

Yet another crappy GM design.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    This.

I had to take my 2007 Silverado to the dealer and even they couldn't get if to free up. Ended up cutting it out with a torch.

Now the spare is in the bed.

Yet another crappy GM design.

Not just GM, I almost always carry a floor jack and four way with me just in case. Twice I have tried to help woman in Dodge minivans with flats. One time, it was so rusty, after beating it enough, it came down but it was flat. I had to get to work, so I took her home and happened to catch her after she got the flat fixed. Another time, I came across someone with the same issue. The spare was also flat, they were right near a tire shop so it was fixed faster.

Top Bottom