• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    In a SHTF scenario, hopefully we have all made some arrangements to work with our neighbors, family, or someone with whom we can trust and create a small survival community. Each of us has something that we can contribute to help the colony survive against the elements, outside world, intruders etc. The farmers, women and children can work the fields, tend to animals...those with weapons experience are the colony protection. Others are the medical go-to people.

But, silver or some precious metal is always good to have to help in obtaining things that you may not have and are not able to barter.

Remember the 3 G's ..... God, Guns and Gold

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    In that scenario, fool stealers will be worse than thieves, they'll be murderers trying to starve women and children. If anyone expects to live lone doing it, I advise you think again, what will happen to the family left behind then. It'll be work together or starve. It'll be work together to kill the thieves and murderers and other scum or be killed. Anyone planning this is not a smart survivalist. If I couldn't trust you in a disaster, I can't trust you any other time either. Character and honesty doesn't come and go.

yep you guys keep telling yourselves all that BS. you will be some of the first to die, because you will let your consions let other people take advantage of you and rob you blind. My character in this society as we live today should not be questioned. i am a respected member of my comunity and a decorated combat veteran who put others first like i should have done. i am not a criminal, nor am i someone afraid to share the truth and hide my true thoughts behind some BS politicaly correct answer that you think will make friends. I am a TRUE survivalist, and a soldier at heart still. MY family comes before ALL others in a time of devistation. those included as my family will be my blood, and by mariage fam. but also close TRUSTED FRIENDS who i know have my back and i theirs, and people who have something to contribute to the survival of our group. basicly their will be gangs. there will be the "godly pacifist" people who will still be waiting for god to come and save them even as they take their last dying breath, and who wouldnt resort to violence if their life depended on it, and those will be among the first to die. there will also be the "look tough croud" who have a crap load of guns and never learned how to properly use them, so people like me will quickly disarm them and ad their nice collections to my gangs arsenal. then their will be the "moral crowd" and those will be the ones just like the guy above who quoted the 10 commandments . wahahahahahaahahaha, yeah see if those work in an apocoliptic society. thats just a good laugh. i try to follow those now too, but if you think those will keep you alive when SHTF, you will either learn to adapt your way of thinking oe you will die too. all of you who are slamming my way of thinking probly have no clue. when you see real life right in front of your face in REAL WAR, and you see what man is capable of it will totaly change your way of thinking and you can do things you wouldnt immagine you can do. you either buck up or **** off. in a SHTF enduring disaster their might not be an end for YEARS and YEARS, you might not even see the end of it in your lifetime it could last so long. thats what im talking about. you wake up and your money is ALL gone, theres no more gas, theres no more STARBUCKS!!! (oh no, no more starbucks, many of you probly forgot to breath for a second). No power, NO water, NO super walmart, NOTHING!!!!
    what do you think it would take to start the chain effect to topple our current system??? well you all saw what happened after 9/11. well just imagine if 1, just ONE U.S. city (like N.Y. or chicago) was attacked with radioactive or chemical weapons and it killed even just 1/3 of that citys entire population. THE U.S. ECONOMY WOULD COLLAPSE BEFORE YOU COULD OPEN A BEER, and then it all starts to topple, civil unrest, police abandoning their post, riots in EVERY CITY, power failures, water and food shortages, then MARSHALL LAW!!! and then CIVIL WAR. but its ok you couple of guys still keep living in disney land.... im sure it will all work out fine for you because you are nice guys in an armagedon world, and you will have your pounds of silver. oh wait, nope I took that too and made bullets out of it. :laugh:

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    you wake up and your money is ALL gone, theres no more gas, theres no more STARBUCKS!!! (oh no, no more starbucks, many of you probly forgot to breath for a second). No power, NO water, NO super walmart, NOTHING!!!!

Where are you coming from or going with this? Everyone reading these pages is doing so in order to prepare. We are not Starbucks addicts, and you do not know who else here has been in combat.

My objection to your comments was based on your "strong vs. weak" statements; and your apparent willingness to go on the offensive to take what you need (because like you said, laws won't matter anymore). I think a true survivalist should make plans to prevent having to murder to survive.

Lastly, no one here is saying that defense or killing to defend ourselves (which includes our food) is wrong.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Where are you coming from or going with this? Everyone reading these pages is doing so in order to prepare. We are not Starbucks addicts, and you do not know who else here has been in combat.

My objection to your comments was based on your "strong vs. weak" statements; and your apparent willingness to go on the offensive to take what you need (because like you said, laws won't matter anymore). I think a true survivalist should make plans to prevent having to murder to survive.

Lastly, no one here is saying that defense or killing to defend ourselves (which includes our food) is wrong.

your right i dont know who else has seen combat, and i wasnt putting down any vet that has. i wish i had never had to as many others do.

but what are you gonna do when you run out of food and you cannot farm or hunt for whatever reason (i.e., acid rain, chemical or nuclear fallout, drought, flood) grow any food or hunt?? you have to eat to live. what are YOU gonna do. im asking because if you can offer me a better way im all ears?? remember there wont be any churches handing out goody bags either.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Anybody who announces that they are going to murder and steal as soon as they get the chance is a criminal. Shoot them first.

By the way, that why a lot of the public thinks gun owners and survivalists are insane, some of the more vocal obviously are.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    well uncle sam did a lot of testing on me and exams and i sat in front of many a shrink and they all gave me a clean bill of health the whole time i was in the military and before i got out, and i still thought the same way i do now. so maybe im not the one whos nuts here doc. ????? and with my current job i have government security clearance, so obviously im not a criminal now either. buddy im just trying to be honest and help some people realize how bad its gonna be. i dont wanna hurt anybody ever again if i dont have to.

also, maybe you need to turn up your bell tones, im saying that i hope i dont have to do it and if i do it will be a last resort. in a perfect world we would all build a big fort and live together happy as one. but i dont think that will happen.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Hell, the last one, buddy, to shoot up a military base was a Army psychiatrist, I'm not taking their word on who's not nuts. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's probably a duck. Anyone who has plans to form a gang to rob and kill their neighbors is what he sounds like.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    for one this is all hypothetical. 2. mohamid the Army psychiatrist had other issues including radical religious beliefs that made him go nutz. i dont know if you can see my rep. comments or not, but ive been getting A LOT of possitive responses of people agreeing with me on THIS topic. like i said before some people just wont speek out for feer of exactly what your trying to do to me. your trying to lable me something im not. Never say you WONT do something because you might have to do it one day. In my current life i have given more to others than i have ever recieved. i love to be kind to people and help others out, wether its in a knowledge way or a financial way, or just being a shoulder to cry on. I go to the VA once a week when im home from work, to THANK my fellow vets for their service and just listen to anything they need to talk about. thats just an example, (which im not even obligated to give to you) of how i am a good and not insane person. personaly im more afraid of the people like you who seem to be willing to just lay down and get f***ed in the A** by a situation you might be able to fight your way out of. if something happens it will take strong minded people that are willing to do ANYTHING to get America back up and running and keep people alive.
    so Marry Poppins, do you think the people who organized the atomic bombing of civilian targets in WWII were murderers?? they did it to save lives, the same reasoning im giving for possible hypothetical future actions in a cataclismic long term disaster. It will be war and im sorry but in war your thinking just gets people killed who deserve to live.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    your right i dont know who else has seen combat, and i wasnt putting down any vet that has. i wish i had never had to as many others do.

but what are you gonna do when you run out of food and you cannot farm or hunt for whatever reason (i.e., acid rain, chemical or nuclear fallout, drought, flood) grow any food or hunt?? you have to eat to live. what are YOU gonna do. im asking because if you can offer me a better way im all ears?? remember there wont be any churches handing out goody bags either.

In an earlier post, you said you'd use what you have stored and then start taking from others. What about growing food? How about eating grubs and worms, as is taught in survival school. If you have food stored long enough, agriculture will eventually return even after a nuclear event.

And, in addition to the Starbucks and Wal-Mart comments, thanks for tips like "there won't be churches handing out goody bags." What about McDonalds?

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Anybody who announces that they are going to murder and steal as soon as they get the chance is a criminal. Shoot them first.

By the way, that why a lot of the public thinks gun owners and survivalists are insane, some of the more vocal obviously are.

The benefit of knowing that there are people like ranger* is that sensible preppers can plan accordingly.

*the only disappointing thing is that, while I expected gang members to resort to this stuff early on, I had my hopes up for people who are aware and who are already prepping.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    But, silver or some precious metal is always good to have to help in obtaining things that you may not have and are not able to barter.

Remember the 3 G's ..... God, Guns and Gold

I think the answer to this debate is that you have to have priorities while preparing. No one knows with any certainty if or when the s may htf.

I think you have to store food, meds, etc. and the guns to defend them. If you have all of the guns and supplies you need (or maybe you and yours can carry) and have some extra money left, there is nothing wrong with silver or (if you have a lot of extra money) gold. Silver and gold, in a hyperinflationary environment, will help you transfer your existing wealth to future (less valuable) dollars.

I'm not a big fan of ammo = currency (although I recognize ammo's value), because the guy you're trading with might just "give" the ammo back to you.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    In an earlier post, you said you'd use what you have stored and then start taking from others. What about growing food? How about eating grubs and worms, as is taught in survival school. If you have food stored long enough, agriculture will eventually return even after a nuclear event.

And, in addition to the Starbucks and Wal-Mart comments, thanks for tips like "there won't be churches handing out goody bags." What about McDonalds?

well idealy i would be able to grow. also, obviously your level of survival skills is limited because if you think your gonna support a family off of eating grubs longterm then your wrong.

your comment about agriculture returning eventually is true, but that still doesnt mean radiation levels will make it safe to eat even if it grows. plus with other events like weather and nuclear winter that are triggered by a nuke det. theres no way you could store food for that long as an individual. plus like you i do have food stored up that would last A LONG TIME, but your assuming that you will have access to your food. what if the disaster happens while your away from home and your home is whipped out, or your secondary storage site (i hope like me you have a secondary) is whipped out too, so you will have to scavenge. yes there will be a lot of empty homes that you can search and hopefully find food in, and people who are unprepared will be dying all around from more than just starvation, so there will be all that food too, but eventually if you have no way to get far away from the imidiate area or if the whole country has been effected, then you will HAVE TO resort to non pleasant ways of getting food and water, if you can even find it.

and: the benefit of having people like you indiana_dave and Carmel is the fact that all i will have to do is wait and you will eventually bite it and i can just have your food and gear. yes ive been trained to live on the land in any environment and survive long term, but there is a big difference in a disaster situation with a wife and kids too. i hope it never happens, i hope we are all wrong, but me being the only one honest about what might have to happen to live doesnt make me a bad guy. you think there wont be gangs?? you think church groups wont stick together?? auto club guys wont stick together?? INGO wont stick together??? that is a form of gang, and thats what i meant. maybe i should have said groups instead of gang, so maybe it would have slid easier in your ears, but its the same thing. there will be groups that will forage, fight, live, and die together. thats what i meant. so you can bash me all you want but at least im being smart and honest, just like i am in todays life, and i dont care and never will care what people think of me. political correctness is for dummies.

Last edited:

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    also, obviously your level of survival skills is limited because if you think your gonna support a family off of eating grubs longterm then your wrong.

Same could be said about your plan to take on other humans who have managed to survive for a year following a shtf event.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    for one this is all hypothetical. 2. mohamid the Army psychiatrist had other issues including radical religious beliefs that made him go nutz. i dont know if you can see my rep. comments or not, but ive been getting A LOT of possitive responses of people agreeing with me on THIS topic. like i said before some people just wont speek out for feer of exactly what your trying to do to me. your trying to lable me something im not. Never say you WONT do something because you might have to do it one day. In my current life i have given more to others than i have ever recieved. i love to be kind to people and help others out, wether its in a knowledge way or a financial way, or just being a shoulder to cry on. I go to the VA once a week when im home from work, to THANK my fellow vets for their service and just listen to anything they need to talk about. thats just an example, (which im not even obligated to give to you) of how i am a good and not insane person. personaly im more afraid of the people like you who seem to be willing to just lay down and get f***ed in the A** by a situation you might be able to fight your way out of. if something happens it will take strong minded people that are willing to do ANYTHING to get America back up and running and keep people alive.
    so Marry Poppins, do you think the people who organized the atomic bombing of civilian targets in WWII were murderers?? they did it to save lives, the same reasoning im giving for possible hypothetical future actions in a cataclismic long term disaster. It will be war and im sorry but in war your thinking just gets people killed who deserve to live.

The mythical "everybody agrees with me if only you could see my rep," argument. Now, comparing fantasizing about robbing and murdering your neighbors to satisfy your selfish private wants to the strategic bombing of a foreign city to STOP that country's raping and robbing and murdering its neighbors is more than a bit ridiculous. I recommend you bring it up to your psychiatrist next time you see him and get his opinion. How fantasizing about forming a gang to pillage the countryside "saves lives" is a line of thinking so outside the rational as to be...well,... you know.:nuts: In such a situation, the feral criminals are not the ones "who deserve to live," they're the ones who deserve to die first. I'm confident that they will, they're usually not as invincible as they think they are in the face of decent people defending their homes and families.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    ok carmel. keep living in la la land. and we bombed japan #1, to keep from having to invade it and lose possible hundreds of thousands of americans lives. THATS THE REASON!! read your history. its all about surviving, thats where the 2 things are similar, desperate times call for desperate and ordinarily barbaric means to make sure you survive.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    ok carmel. keep living in la la land. and we bombed japan #1, to keep from having to invade it and lose possible hundreds of thousands of americans lives. THATS THE REASON!! read your history. its all about surviving, thats where the 2 things are similar, desperate times call for desperate and ordinarily barbaric means to make sure you survive.

So, you'll murder your neighbors in order to avoid invading Japan? That logic is impeccable, just like "I don't care what anyone thinks, but look at my rep." I'm sure no one will be able to resist the cunning minds of the marauders.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Ranger is strong, just like the guys in Pendleton are stronger than cops, etc., and everyone doing a 9 to 5 is "weak". Everyone who disagrees with ranger's willingness to off his neighbor for a sandwich is (a) a pacifist who thinks the a-bomb was wrong; and (b) thinks starbucks will always keep chugging along.

I think we'd all be better off sharing ideas. Ideally, every person in the U.S. is better off if every person in the U.S. is prepared. Ranger, on the other hand, just wants to tell everyone else that only he is mentally prepared for shtf.

Keep prepping, normal people. Just think of the rangers among us while you make your plans to defend what you've saved.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Good thing to remember. Be on the lookout.

The prototypical psychopath has deficits or deviances in several areas: interpersonal relationships, emotion, and self-control. Psychopaths gain satisfaction through antisocial behavior, and do not experience shame, guilt, or remorse for their actions.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopath#cite_note-14 Psychopaths lack a sense of guilt or remorse for any harm they may have caused others, instead rationalizing the behavior, blaming someone else, or denying it outright.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopath#cite_note-handbook-17 Psychopaths also lack empathy towards others in general, resulting in tactlessness, insensitivity, and contemptuousness. All of this belies their tendency to make a good, likable first impression. Psychopaths have a superficial charm about them, enabled by a willingness to say anything without concern for accuracy or truth. Shallow affect also describes the psychopath's tendency for genuine emotion to be short lived and egocentric with an overall cold demeanor. Their behavior is impulsive and irresponsible, often failing to keep a job or defaulting on debts.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopath#cite_note-handbook-17 Psychopaths also have a markedly distorted sense of the potential consequences of their actions, not only for others, but also for themselves. They do not, for example, deeply recognize the risk of being caught, disbelieved or injured as a result of their behaviour.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopath#cite_note-18

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Just looking thru the prism of our current time, I have to assume gold/silver is at an all time high, not the time to be buying? I like cash and cash equivalents at this time,cash, food, ammo, tools, water is good!

Not to get into the gold is valuable/worthless bit, but gold is not even close to its all-time high in inflation-adjusted dollars. The $800 +/- per oz it sold for in the early '80s would be worth around $2,400 today. Gold is still only at 50% of historical highs.

Will it go up? Who knows. Some people say it will hit $2,500 per ounce, some say $5,000...they base this not on the "value of gold", but on their perception of the relative worthlessness of the greenback.

While, for a sound economy, I think a move toward a commodity-backed currency would be a step in the right direction, for SHTF all bets are off.

Bullets, beans, butter, and barter items (coffee, alcohol, etc...things that folks seem about ready to sell their children for now, at times) will be key.

Cash and PMs will likely have value early on and PMs after the dust settles, but I wouldn't look to stock them with SHTF in mind until after you feel prepared to "feed the Russian Army" if you should fail to shoot them into submission.:ar15:

Keep some cash around for basic hiccups before the SHTF, though.

Top Bottom