• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I just got back from the local gun shop. I was actually going there to purchase my first 1911, a Kimber, preferably a compact size, provided they had one in stock. They did not, but had plenty of Ultra's. :( Little too small.

So I was speaking with a salesperson who's opinion I have always valued and he said that I should strongly consider the Sig 1911, specifically the Revolution RCS (same CCO size as the Kimber compacts.) He said he actually prefers it to all but a couple of Kimber's offerings. I then heard people raving about the newer Sig Revolution 1911's since they worked out some of the issues in the earlier models.

First, let me say that I am a HUGE Sig fan, I actually have a 220 and a 232 that I love. But, a Sig 1911??? I find it hard to believe that a company that first started making these things just a few years ago would even be mentioned in the same sentence with companies like Kimber, Springfield and Colt. Even the salesperson said he was a little apprehensive when he first came across one, but is now a believer. It did feel very good. They did not have a rental so I could not shoot one, but it was nice looking and felt great in hand.

Any input would be appreciated. I actually came across a nice deal on a two tone RCS that would save me about $300 if I go with it instead of the Kimber.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Get the Sig!
    DOIT.gif

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If you're willing to drive to Grant County, (Marion, IN) I'll set you up to shoot a couple of Kimbers, and a couple of Sig 1911's.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    The best feedback you can get on a given 1911 is shooting one yourself. Shoot a 5" barrel, and a 4" barrel, and then a 3" barrel, THEN decide on which suits you. If you're shopping for shoes, will you buy what I wear, or try some on first?

Entirely your call.

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    If you can find one, take a look at the new Ruger 1911. I have read
    a lot of excellent reviews on this pistol. I own a couple of 5" Kimbers
    right now but my next purchase will be the Ruger.

:ingo::patriot:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    My uncle just recently bought a Sig 1911. We shot it a couple of months back for the first time and I really enjoyed it.

We didn't have much time before he had to leave, but with the 60 or so rounds we put through it it ran flawlessly! I'm also a Sig fan so I expected no less.

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If you're getting a 1911 - I would stay with the fullsize.

Here's a good thread -
    The SIG face palm thread - M4Carbine.net Forums

Interesting read. Thanks for posting. I never realized Sig made such "interesting" guns.

If you can find one, take a look at the new Ruger 1911. I have read
    a lot of excellent reviews on this pistol. I own a couple of 5" Kimbers
    right now but my next purchase will be the Ruger.

:ingo::patriot:

They are definitely priced right. I see that a shop has them in stock too $699. The Ruger SR1911 Centerfire Pistol
    But, I am looking for something in a compact size for CC. I looked for a commander size and didn't see one. I would definitely consider them if they had a smaller frame, lighter weight model. I have always heard good things about Ruger and that's a nice looking pistol.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I have a Sig 1911 C3 (offier frame, commander slide) and love it. I also picked up a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry that I love too.

They both shoot great. Very accurate for EDC guns.

If you are buying new, I think you get more "gun" for the money with the Sig. I am still not a big fan of the polymer mainspring housing on the Kimber. Both Sig and Kimber use the same mags (Checkmate, I have heard). Fit and finish on my Sig is excellent. The trigger pull feels good too.

I agree with other suggestions that you test drive if you can.

Mark

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    That's what I was thinking as well. It seems to have more of a squared off slide than rounded like other 1911's. I figured that would cause problems with holsters designed for traditional 1911's.

That is what I thought until I tried mine in the 3 holsters I currently have. I plan on using it in the new Crossbreed Supertuck that I ordered as well.

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    That is what I thought until I tried mine in the 3 holsters I currently have. I plan on using it in the new Crossbreed Supertuck that I ordered as well.

That's good to know. I have my eyes on a Milt Sparks VM2 but I was concerned that it wouldn't be compatible with the Sig should I go that route. The Sig RCS has quickly made its way into a serious alternative to the Kimber Compact CDP as my first 1911.

Although, I recently heard that they show wear much faster than other manufacturer's. There are some interesting pictures posted half way down the following thread showing what one looks like after 18 months of carrying. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=304417

I have seen everyday carry Kimbers and Colts that didn't show that much wear even after many years of use. I am not sure if it is a good indication of how the finish will hold up for me, or anyone else for that matter, but it was interesting.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I've been looking at some of the Sig 1911s as well. Are they still using the Caspian cast frames?

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I've been looking at some of the Sig 1911s as well. Are they still using the Caspian cast frames?

I don't believe so. I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but I have read on Sig and dedicated 1911 forums that while they used to use Caspian frames, they do not anymore. The most recent post that stated that was from 2010.

I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing. Being new to 1911's I thought that using Caspian frames would be a good thing, but then I read that there were a lot of issues with them on the earlier Sig GSR's.

Top Bottom