• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I just put about 300 rounds through it yesterday. Granted they were light loads, it was very easy to shoot. I’ll run some 115 gold dots through them soon and see if they’re much different. As small as the gun is, I don’t feel any compromise with the grip being too small, especially with the 12 or 10+pinky extension. I can’t imagine a bit more recoil will be a problem.

Inquiring minds want to know...was your striker drag similar to the pic posted herein? Well...at least I am curious to know.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Recoil is very modest. Almost full size like with the 12 round mag.

1. Couldn't be any worse than my Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380 that I have up for sale: if any gun need a "pinky" extension to help hold onto it, it did!
    2. I never did enjoy shooting it, just loved the 1911 design and the Colt name.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Pardon my ignorance, but could someone educate me on the downside to this striker drag? It is clearly hitting the primer deeper than say my glocks, but what’s the problem? Seems less likely to light strike and fail to fire. Educate me.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Pardon my ignorance, but could someone educate me on the downside to this striker drag? It is clearly hitting the primer deeper than say my glocks, but what’s the problem? Seems less likely to light strike and fail to fire. Educate me.

The drag is the striker dragging against the primer/casing instead of just striking it enough to go off. The drag could affect the durability of the striker/firing pin, which seems to be the case with many instances of broken firing pins reported. Is it due to the drag, the quality of the firing pin, or both? Who knows, just seems suspicious when the striker drag is as severe as it is.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have a P938 and P238 which are more or less the Mustang. The P365 is far more manageable.

1. Yes, imagine my surprise when I found out the Sig P238 magazines fit the Colt Mustang.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2. I was not familiar how the gun manufacturers were all one big happy family and made guns for each other. (I'll not list a dozen that I know about since you probably know 2 dozen).

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    The drag is the striker dragging against the primer/casing instead of just striking it enough to go off. The drag could affect the durability of the striker/firing pin, which seems to be the case with many instances of broken firing pins reported. Is it due to the drag, the quality of the firing pin, or both? Who knows, just seems suspicious when the striker drag is as severe as it is.

If you look at the rounds #4 and #5 in the other Matt's picture, it appears that the primer material does constrict against the striker whereas the other rounds do not show that kind of resistance. This could result in increases stresses. The video above would seem to contradict this but his striker is less than what is seen here. I am not condemning the gun because of this, as a matter of fact, I bought mine last Friday after all this hit the fury of the MAC videos. I think it is just a mechanical characteristic that (at this point) is worth watching. Sig is selling a boat load of these things. If it is a significant problem, it will be revealed.

I was not familiar how the gun manufacturers were all one big happy family and made guns for each other. (I'll not list a dozen that I know about since you probably know 2 dozen).

Not. I believe Sig did or does pay a royalty/licensing fee/bought rights to Colt. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If you look at the rounds #4 and #5 in the other Matt's picture, it appears that the primer material does constrict against the striker whereas the other rounds do not show that kind of resistance. This could result in increases stresses. The video above would seem to contradict this but his striker is less than what is seen here. I am not condemning the gun because of this, as a matter of fact, I bought mine last Friday after all this hit the fury of the MAC videos. I think it is just a mechanical characteristic that (at this point) is worth watching. Sig is selling a boat load of these things. If it is a significant problem, it will be revealed.

Agreed, just listing the most prevalent theory I've heard.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    From what I have been reading on SigTalk, Sig has made some more improvements on the striker just recently based upon guns that went in for work and just got back out in the field.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    A sales guy at a "large" gun store told me that he believes there to be three iterations of the striker. The first which contained the "bad patch"; the second with higher quality control standards and now a third with more robust material but essentially the same as #2.

I didn't question him so he could have been blowing smoke to get me to buy one even though I had already bought one from another LGS or Sig is making rolling improvements. Is that similar to what you have read?

If nothing else, it gives the internet something to talk about!

Mine was made on 06/07/18. If I get ambitious tonight, I will pull the striker and post a picture and someone with an earlier release can compare. Doubt any differences would be noticable?

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I am going to bring mine to a class tomorrow and run it for 400 rounds. I will do it all to advance the science. How altruistic of me.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I am going to bring mine to a class tomorrow and run it for 400 rounds. I will do it all to advance the science. How altruistic of me.

We appreciate your sacrifice!

Expat - Did some reading over at Sig talk (I never go to that forum) and that generally confirms what the dealer told me. I will definitely be looking at mine tonight. It will drive me crazy not knowing!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    A sales guy at a "large" gun store told me that he believes there to be three iterations of the striker. The first which contained the "bad patch"; the second with higher quality control standards and now a third with more robust material but essentially the same as #2.

I didn't question him so he could have been blowing smoke to get me to buy one even though I had already bought one from another LGS or Sig is making rolling improvements. Is that similar to what you have read?

If nothing else, it gives the internet something to talk about!

Mine was made on 06/07/18. If I get ambitious tonight, I will pull the striker and post a picture and someone with an earlier release can compare. Doubt any differences would be noticable?
    From the pics I have seen, the difference are noticeable. Yours should be pretty current with that date. They do seem to be making rolling improvements. I have thought about my March made one... I may sell it at some point and get a new one once they have things worked out more. That or complain about something and send this one in for an update.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    My P365 was made on March 13 2018 and my striker drag looks exactly like mcapo's. Doublehelix has shot my P365 as well and seen the striker drag. Personally I have 1,000+ live fire rounds through mine and many more dry firing, if the pin was going to break it would have by now.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not. I believe Sig did or does pay a royalty/licensing fee/bought rights to Colt. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Seems like any patents on that design would be long dead now, but I'm neither an engineer nor a patent attorney.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Ok; I am sure you have been clicking refresh for my update...

My 06/07 production gun has the "updated" barrel, striker, sear, sleeve, etc. The difference in the sear and the firing pin is really noticeable. The "battering" of the striker channel face was not apparent.

Based on this, I conclude nothing more than Sig has made some rolling changes. Rather they are improvements or not? Based on Dean's gun, I am leaning towards changes except the (1) sear surfaces. They seem much more polished. Maybe that's not an improvement? (2) The firing pin machining is more radiused and I would think a little less subject to breakage but I am not a machinist, engineer or metallurgist.

Here is a link to some pictures that are more demonstrative than my description. https://sigtalk.com/p250-p320-p365-p320-x-5-pistols/317980-rolling-changes-p365.html

I was on the fence about taking delivery of my P365 last Friday but I am increasingly confident in the firearm.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom