• ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Is the Sig more reliable than a glock?

In my experience, YES. The only manufacturer that I have shot a respectable number of rounds through and NOT had a malfunction is Sig. P226 and P6 have NEVER had a malfunction and I have put more rounds through them than anything else.

Others I include in this:

Walther, Ruger, Glock, Taurus, and Springfield 1911 all have had malfunctions on me (and all more than once).

As for weight, the 226 might weigh more, but that is mostly because of the size of the slide. The aluminum frame is very light. Its definitely not like carrying around a full size 1911.

caseyc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Alright thanks everybody for your input. ive made up my mind and im going with the Sig! I need to start getting prices from site sponsers as i will be buying next weekend. Im very excited about this one.

caseyc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I know i should be comparing it more with the G17 but those are the 2 i made my mind up on. And i will carry it everyday and im not scared to get scratches or anything on it as that is what im buying it for is to use
    I'll say it again because I only think it's only been mentioned once in this thread:

Comparing a P226 to a G17 makes sense.
    Comparing a P229 to a G19 makes sense.
    Comparing a P226 to a G19 makes no sense (since the physical sizes/weights are so different).

That out of the way, they're both fine guns. Either will serve your purpose well. Get what you like/want/fits you best and don't worry about it.

An important question to ask yourself is whether you're the kind of person who's more willing to beat a $700-ish SIG up with hard use or a $490-ish Glock. It can be a factor.

Some folks have a personality such that if they spend that much on a gun they're afraid to use it as the tool that it is.

Folks like this often find that SIGs end up staying in the safe (they're just so nice :)) while the Glocks get used as the beaters and daily carry guns. I've seen it on more than 1 occasion.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    A question from the peanut gallery: Is a p226 DAO or DA/SA?

My only Sig is p232 DA/SA. The gun itself is a beautiful piece of work, but I've learned I don't like transition from one trigger pull to another.

My G19 is a great gun. As to the OP question, I'd have to cast my vote for the G19.

caseyc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Update

Ended up ordering a OD Green G19 with nite sights this morning should have it wednesday or thursday. Was going to be over a week for the sig so i said what the heck and order the glock, cant wait to get it and buy some goodies with the cash i saved:rockwoot:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I don't think you'll be disappointed. The P226 is a fine gun too, but may be on the large side if you're not used to carrying something that large and/or dedicated to doing it. You can get some extra G19 (15 rnd), G17 (17 rnd) and G18 (33 rnd) mags for it with the money you saved.

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    You will be happy with the G19.

I own both weapons and the G19 is way better for a carry gun. The trigger reset on the Glock is shorter allowing me to shoot it quicker than the SIG. However the way the SIG points tends to make it a bit more accurate for me. But it's the size factor on the 226, IMHO it's way to big for a carry gun. I stuck an X300 on my SIG and havent carried it since.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    A question from the peanut gallery: Is a p226 DAO or DA/SA?

My only Sig is p232 DA/SA. The gun itself is a beautiful piece of work, but I've learned I don't like transition from one trigger pull to another.

My G19 is a great gun. As to the OP question, I'd have to cast my vote for the G19.

You can get it DAO or DA/SA. The DAO is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG but smooth pull.

gilliu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    p226

Top Gun Supply is supposed to be getting p226 returns from the munich police force in the next several days -- should be excellent pricing

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Flip a coin either one is a great choice, both have been used and adopted by militarizes and law enforcement agencies around the world. Besides you know you will eventually buy both. :D

caseyc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Picked up my G19 today, Love it so far cant wait to shoot it. got some extra mags, the rubber grip tape, extended slide lock and slide release lever and blackhawk serpa all in one day, it was a great day

IBTL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Lafayette
    I've carried a G36 (smaller than G19 I believe) and now a P226. I carried IWB with the Glock and OWB with the Sig. As far as carry goes, I'm limited on what I can wear without printing with either gun. The P226 is a big mother of a gun that sticks out from your hip and will bang into things like tables, doors, people passing by, etc. I carry much like you do, shirt hanging over my BLACKHAWK! level 3 holster and sometimes OC. Moving on, I would consider how the gun feels and shoots. I have a MUCH better draw stroke and natural aiming grip with the Sig. I have MASSIVE hands and I swallowed the Glock. The Sig literally feels like it was made for my massive, massive hands. I love the checkering on the Sig, too. It's better than the Glock IMO. Then, as far as shooting goes, I think the Sig will shoot better, but this issue is probably a user issue. I will say that your follow-up shots will be better with the Sig (assuming it fits your hands better). I think you should put your hands on both and weigh options. Cost is another thing.

Oh, and for anyone who doubts me, I carry my Sig everyday, except on campus:(

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I'm a Sig man myself. I own the p220 and the P226 BlackWater and I love them both. The only Glock I've ever fired was the G22 and I was not impressed with it at all. The Glock didn't seem to be very accurate. The trigger pull on a Glock is heavier than a Sig so maybe that had a little to do with it.

When pricing a Sig, don't bother looking at their website. They listed my 220 at $1050 and my Blackwater at $1300 with 4 20 rd mag. I bought my 220 at my local dealer for $850 and my BlackWater with 5 20 rd mags for $950. The BlackWater also comes with an extra set of grips.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Congrats on the G19, it's a fine weapon. I have Glocks and SIGs and they are both great guns. The Glock is simple, almost to the point of being crude. The SIG, especially the older ones, have very nice craftsmanship and for me shoot better.

I carry and trust my life to both but I do consider the Glock to be more of a "truck gun" and the SIG a fine piece of craftsmanship.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom