Sig P226 or Beretta M9A4 or CZ shadow 2?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    You can get the Sig P229 as an SAO legion that is optic cut from the factory, and I believe you can get a 226 the same way. Of the guns you mentioned that would be my route.

That said you can also get them in DA/SA in legion model with optic cut.

Only down side is I believe they are cut for the Deltapoint Pro optic footprint.
    Sig has pretty much done the optic cut in all the 22x series legions now.

All the new ones coming if I to my store are cut for optics.

As far as the plain Jane Nitron 22x not sure other than the M11A1’s are not which they shouldn’t be

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Isn't the Shadow 2 not equipped with a decocker or a firing pin safety? If that's still the case, not something I'd want to use for self defense/people management/real world use.
    Yeah that ruled out a Shadow 2 for me. But having owned SIGs before I bought a P226 Elite in 2022 as well as an optic slide with Romeo red dot. The P226 shoots very well but the trigger was pretty poor compared to my old 1990s German P220 or even my 2007 German frame P220.

Had enough of the single action creep and the gritty double action , sent it off for action job and it is much better now. If I had to do it all over again I probably would have just bought a P226 X5.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    SIG of the choices listed

The beretta just does not have a good RDS compatibility and even the Langdon cut is kinda disappointing but that’s the gun.

The CZ I only recommend as a range toy, no way to safely drop the hammer and the safety is hot dog crap too.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Owned 3 Beretta 92 FS. No complaints. Own a P226R. No complaints either. Never had a CZ Shadow. Currently would carry a P226 Sig. It's older gun, just works, always.

BackFromDC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I may get thrown in jail for this, but I like the Beretta slide mounted safety, so I always choose Beretta for DA/SA hammered guns. However I think the newer Sig 226s are better adapted for the contemporary market. They definitely have a better RDO solution, the Beretta mounts are not great mechanically. But that's what you get for firing pin block that elevates out the top of the slide.

sailordave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2016
    North Porter County
    Been back and forth on what direction I want to go for my next pistol. Which of these do you guys really enjoy? I don’t think any of the ranges rent these models. I may just buy whatever I find a good deal on first. I just want one to replace my VP9 for home defense and want to get my first pistol red dot.
    May i ask why you let your VP9 go ? I was closely looking at them, especially with the factory optic cut.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I think the M9a4 mounting solution isn't the best, but it still gets the job done. IIRC, the Langdon solution is supposedly better. I'm partial to Berettas myself. I've carried and shot the heck out of Berettas and Sigs. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    I’ve had a Beretta 92FS, my very first handgun, but It left me wanting something more. I ended up selling it. I currently have a P226 and like it much better.
    I have no experience with the CZ’s.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Been back and forth on what direction I want to go for my next pistol. Which of these do you guys really enjoy? I don’t think any of the ranges rent these models. I may just buy whatever I find a good deal on first. I just want one to replace my VP9 for home defense and want to get my first pistol red dot.
    Okay it's been a week what did you buy?

Codyf44

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    Plainfield

Codyf44

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    Plainfield
    Okay it's been a week what did you buy?
    Nothing yet….out a trigger in my banshe mkg and my mkiv lite got one too and a bolt. Still trying to sell the vp9 and an additional AR. Once I sell one of them I’m probably buying whatever I find first. Going to try to swing in to range USA and parabellum see what rentals they have. Just had a surgery and waiting to get off restrictions, I did not mention but I’m in a wheelchair but only mid 30s and don’t shoot very often just like the hobby.

bold115uc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2024
    Milan
    Love my M9A3; haven’t messed with the A4 yet; truthfully haven’t looked to see what the new features are between them. Shot it side by side in a friendly competition with my friends 226. Both are real nice and you’ll likely enjoy either from an accuracy and handling standpoint. I’m biased towards the Beretta but probably merely because I own one and haven’t jumped on the SIG bandwagon yet.

Twinsen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    I wish I saw this sooner... I sold my 92fs and my sig226. Shadow 2 hands down. If you know how you hold a firearm with a proper grip, you wont like the 92. If you like to know where the impact of your round will be you wont like the 226 with its massive front sight behind the dot zeroing. Also they're known for rocking a lot.

Ultimately all will go bang but the shadow 2 is a pleasure to shoot and there is a reason it is so dominate in the competition space.

If weight is a concern, get the shadow 2 compact, its alluminum.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    First off, all three are fine choices. I've owned a handful of berettas 92fs, M9, and currently an M9a3. I bought the M9A3 because we had Beretta's in the Army. I wanted the M9a3 to run it with a can. My M9a3 runs flawlessly when suppressed out of every pistol I've ever put a can on. I had a P226 and really liked it but sold it due to lack of shooting it. I wouldn't mind replacing that pistol. I've never owned a CZ Shadow but as mentioned those pistols dominate in the competitive shooting world. I don't think you're going to go wrong with any of those. They all have their weird oddities, but practice the manual of arms with each one and you'll be fine.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    :rofl: I wish I saw this sooner... I sold my 92fs and my sig226. Shadow 2 hands down. If you know how you hold a firearm with a proper grip, you wont like the 92. If you like to know where the impact of your round will be you wont like the 226 with its massive front sight behind the dot zeroing. Also they're known for rocking a lot.

Ultimately all will go bang but the shadow 2 is a pleasure to shoot and there is a reason it is so dominate in the competition space.

If weight is a concern, get the shadow 2 compact, its alluminum.

LOLOLOLOL. I guess guys like Ernest Langdon don’t know how to properly hold/grip a pistol…

Top Bottom