• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    You have to go by the scenario presented, a SHTF situation where you have dispatched multiple armed looters already and the remaining have surrendered.

They are undoubtably armed, or were, so what do you do with them now?

I'm definately not going to smoke some random lowlife that breaks into my garage looking to swipe petty crap.

I would put him face down at gunpoint and call the police unless he presented a weapon with intent to use it.

He makes that choice and he dies.

These are two vastly different scenarios and that has to be taken into consideration.

The point WETSU is trying to make is that even if the shooting in your garage is justified, your posts here may come back to haunt you. So the guy in the garage comes at you with a crow bar and you drop him. If the prosecutor is on the fence as to whether or not he/she thinks it was justified, and some research turns up evidence that could make her think that you are a nut, waiting for the end of the world, it could go bad for you. You do not want them to find an internet site full of comments by you that say how you would kill survivors without remorse. In their mind, you may have just been painted to be a person that resorts to use of a gun to solve problems that could be solved differently. Those posts, taken out of context and delivered to a jury to support how you took the law into your own hands, could cost you your freedom.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    i've read some of the post on this thread and all are very interesting.

My :twocents:

Let's say some looters come and you shoot....4 out of 6. And you capture the other 2 and let them go.

What if they come back with a larger group? They would probably gather the following info
    How much food you got (if they got a good glimpse)
    How many of you where
    What kind of guns you all had
    How many kids and women there where (if they get a glimpse)
    What kind of vehicles and other resource you have.
    What kind of 360 degree view you have as well as any blind spots.

What do you all think?

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If I just destroyed 66% of their probe, I'd say they just got a pretty big intel dump as to my capabilities. They better bring it in round two.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Coming to this party late, but once again WETSU gets my vote. Declaring your intent in a fictitious SHTF scenario now may be used by an agressive prosecutor or attorney when you shoot a burglar on a regular day next month. Wake up people, this isn't a game.

If you are really interested in the RIGHT THING TO DO for you, consult your personal ethics and moral/religious beliefs, consult the law (which will be reestablishedafter any SHTF) and make your plans accordingly. TOo often when I read these types of threads I feel like it is someone looking for concensus on what they should do rather than doing some research and deciding for themselves.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    So, according to some on this forum, if I played Risk the other day I should expect a visit from a SEAL team??

So new scenario:

You're playing that Fallout 3 mod where you have a base and you're attacked by raiders, but some of those totally-not-real video games Raiders surrender. Do you kill them anyway, or do you let them go hoping to get a new NPC or quest out of it?

Do they have goatees? You can't trust them if they have a goatee. :runaway:

Last edited:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    The problem with America is that everyone is afraid to say what they think. The loss of the freedom (and ability) to think and speak in the subjunctive case is pathetic. **** the prosecutor, the jury and the human litter in my hallway should an event like this happen. Signed, your dearest, Miguel.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    Disarm the survivors. Force them to take their own stinking dead off my property. When we're far enough away, take their clothes and shoes as well. Leave them with absolutely nothing but incentive not to come back, and go home. Taking their clothes and shoes would be a crime on my part, but oh well, it's Mad Max time.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    i've read some of the post on this thread and all are very interesting.

My :twocents:

Let's say some looters come and you shoot....4 out of 6. And you capture the other 2 and let them go.

What if they come back with a larger group? They would probably gather the following info
    How much food you got (if they got a good glimpse)
    How many of you where
    What kind of guns you all had
    How many kids and women there where (if they get a glimpse)
    What kind of vehicles and other resource you have.
    What kind of 360 degree view you have as well as any blind spots.

What do you all think?
    This is why in my earlier post, I would be making plans to EVAC or Bug out! Because realisticly depending how armed the looters are they will probably scatter and regroup and return in stronger numbers. While I live in a fairly rough area of the NE side. I'm fortunate to have neighbors I could rely on. And we could probably scare off most small bands of looters. Just not sure how big the gang would have to be before we could not defend our area.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Make them bury their dead. Put a blindfold on them tell them to turn around and walk 100 feet. You know what comes next. You can't make it so they can come back.

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    Seems like a scene from Saving Private Ryan. Capt. Miller let a captive Steamboat willie, bury Wade, and dig his own grave, and let him go. Reiben, then sez to Miller, you just let the enemy go. Fast forward to the bridge scene at the end of the movie, Steamboat willie kills Miller. As bad it may seem to be. My groups(family) surviorablity would be priority above all. And what would the looters do if they had won to the surviors of your group?

Top Bottom