SHTF IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE. SHOTS FIRED. LE CALLED...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Here is the positive side of having crappy neighbor kids. Years ago the neighbor teenage kids (girls) would sit in their boyfriends cars in the street between my house and theirs late at night. Really >>>>> me off. However, since it was dark and they were STUPID and paid in cash from their jobs they didnt keep track of it well. Several times I would come out the next day and find a hundred dollar bill or a fifty on the ground by the driveway. Paid for a lot of rounds of gold (don't tell my wife!). lol

Those are called drug dealers/users, and that is called drug money:laugh:

Are you saying he couldn't use a .22 to get him into his house to get his Glock or a rifle?
    Sorry but I fail to see how having a gun in had to get you to a bigger gun is worse than having no gun in hand and "darting" to get any gun??? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure he's not advocating being gunless. I think JackRyan's point is that if you're gonna carry around a handgun, it might as well be on the plus side of formidable. Then you can skip the whole "get you to a bigger gun" step.

Anyone else wear their gun while walking around the house in their "comfortable" clothes... lol

I always have a loaded firearm in the shortest reach possible that the law and having a toddler will allow. ...so yes:D

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Are you saying he couldn't use a .22 to get him into his house to get his Glock or a rifle?
    Sorry but I fail to see how having a gun in had to get you to a bigger gun is worse than having no gun in hand and "darting" to get any gun??? :rolleyes:

I'm not SAYING any thing when I'm looking at that thing, I'm laughing too hard to talk.

Reading your post I can tell you are already well informed and I could not add much but I'll TELL you this, I've shot and killed living things with little short barrel 22's and 25acp before.

Once you've done a few you'll know what I'm not saying.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    It took alot of calls to the police, and many records of license plates to get the bad people in our neighborhood gone. Took time, but they are no longer here now and life is way, way better.

Stay armed, keep good records, and make sure your family can protect themselves when you are not home.

You also have our prayers for protection.

And no, you do not have to be a sheep or feel bad for not being one. If everyone acted as a full citizen, we would have far, far fewer problems like these.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree with you guys. When this get bad I'd rather have any gun than none at all. But, we are also already compromising or we'd all carry rifles or shotguns. I am learning how tough it is to keep records of people and cars coming and going. I had hoped that after the guy was killed across the street that maybe the property owner would have given them the boot. I hear that it could be more difficult to get rid of them if their rent is paid through section 8. I also agree that more people need to step up, quit being scared a$$es and tell police, prosecuters, and judges what they saw when things do happen. There are far too many people who want things to change but are not willing to open their mouth. I for one refuse to live my life in fear. I prepare for bad things the best that I can and have faith that God will keep me and my family safe. I don't think there's much more we can do than that.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    As to the deputy, don't think for a minute that the believed the baseball bat BS. Yup, there're some dopes out there, but the average road officer learns his way around pretty quickly. Just, as was mentioned above, not much he can do without a witness or a victim.
    As far as retaliation, I wouldn't be too concerned, but always good to be prepared. And you never know what a call to the property owner might do. It may well be that they have no idea of the shenanigans going on, and will deal with it themselves. Worth a call to find out, anyway.
    Anyhoo, do what you have to to keep yourself and family safe, and we'll all mention you in our applications to diety.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I had hoped that after the guy was killed across the street that maybe the property owner would have given them the boot. I hear that it could be more difficult to get rid of them if their rent is paid through section 8. I also agree that more people need to step up, quit being scared a$ and tell police, prosecuters, and judges what they saw when things do happen.

The kicker is that you are paying for their rent from your taxes. And when they get caught doing dope your taxes will pay for the free lawyers who will beg the prosecutor and judge for "just one more chance to clean up" and then it goes around again.

Keep it up, the battle is worth it. Our neighborhood is in debt to one family in particular who just would not give up the fight and was out every day with a digital camera taking plate pictures. Long, long story but ended with bad family gone and new nice family in.

Actually, nice family has been fully briefed on previous family and knows how not to act. They know there is little humor for looking like trouble because it is cool.

Hell, be proactive and ask the sheriffs what they need from you to help he situation. Never surrender.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Use your camera. Set it to time and date stamp pictures.

And keep records of how long each car was there. If it's drug deals, I suspect a lot of 5 minute house guests.

A friend is having the same issue with a new family that moved across the street from him on the SW side of Indy. LOTS of very short visits from different people every day, and a few weeks ago, his HVAC service van was broken into.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    He tells us it was a baseball bat that made the noise :rolleyes::rolleyes:. Seriously this Sheriff was of rank went for this baseball bat story.

ETA: It really disappointed me that the responding deputy did not seem to care to ask about what we saw or heard or about what transpired in front of our homes. He either one, really didn't care (which I doubt) or this was something that he is probably used to and sees on a daily basis. I understand the deputies hands are probably tied since no one was owning up to the incident and no one was hurt.

The fact is, there might not be much they can do. For starters, they would have to take statements from everyone who heard the shots to even attempt to get a warrant to search the home. Secondly, if the judge sees that the cops spoke with the occupants, and they reported nothing, no actual eye witnesses came forward, I doubt they would sign off on a warrant. Not only that, the warrant could only be issued to investigate for a criminal act(s). The mere sound of gun shots most likely isn't going to be enough to get a warrant to search.

I think the sheriff, from how you told the story did a horrible job at investigating the incident or he just did not give a ****. Glad to see you are safe!

So you want LEs to be able to easily obtain search warrants based on what neighbors say, and nothing more? To easy for someone who has an issue with a neighbor to really screw over that neighbor. The cops can't just sit and wait either, as I don't want them doing that and pending other calls for service for folks who really need to speak with the cops (theft reports, crash reports, etc.).

I am betting that the house was not cooperating. The neighbors HEARD the shots but no one saw who did the firing. Not much an officer can do.

I guess LEs should have taken statements, gotten warrants (for what, I am not sure), assembled the SWAT team, and served the warrants (again for what, I don't know). Or, the LEs should have just sat out there for hours on end waiting to see if something happens, while me or one of my family members has to wait to see an officer to report something.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    The fact is, there might not be much they can do. For starters, they would have to take statements from everyone who heard the shots to even attempt to get a warrant to search the home. Secondly, if the judge sees that the cops spoke with the occupants, and they reported nothing, no actual eye witnesses came forward, I doubt they would sign off on a warrant. Not only that, the warrant could only be issued to investigate for a criminal act(s). The mere sound of gun shots most likely isn't going to be enough to get a warrant to search.

So you want LEs to be able to easily obtain search warrants based on what neighbors say, and nothing more? To easy for someone who has an issue with a neighbor to really screw over that neighbor. The cops can't just sit and wait either, as I don't want them doing that and pending other calls for service for folks who really need to speak with the cops (theft reports, crash reports, etc.).

I guess LEs should have taken statements, gotten warrants (for what, I am not sure), assembled the SWAT team, and served the warrants (again for what, I don't know). Or, the LEs should have just sat out there for hours on end waiting to see if something happens, while me or one of my family members has to wait to see an officer to report something.

Indy317,
    Can we keep the thread on track.
    I know you are an LEO but it seems like you always have a bone to pick in every thread.
    If you want to start your own thread on LEO vs. Citizen go for it.

I agree with your response to my statements, basically your preaching to the choir as I have already stated my position and understanding.

I for one have already stated I understand the Deputies positions and jobs and can appreciate that.

So lets keep this on course and not turn it into LE vs. Citizen (which this thread is not about).

Thanks.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Indy317,
    Can we keep the thread on track.
    I know you are an LEO but it seems like you always have a bone to pick in every thread.
    If you want to start your own thread on LEO vs. Citizen go for it.

I agree with your response to my statements, basically your preaching to the choir as I have already stated my position and understanding.

I for one have already stated I understand the Deputies positions and jobs and can appreciate that.

So lets keep this on course and not turn it into LE vs. Citizen (which this thread is not about).

So complaining about LEOs not doing their job is OK in this thread, but trying to give explanation of why is a no no? Give me a break. I don't have a bone to pick with anyone, just trying to give reasons on why cops may not appear to be doing more. This isn't LEO vs. citizen, it is information on the part of the job that most folks don't see when it comes to LE. Now, are you also going to quote those who have made similar complaints on this thread, or are you just going after me for some reason?

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    So complaining about LEOs not doing their job is OK in this thread, but trying to give explanation of why is a no no? Give me a break. I don't have a bone to pick with anyone, just trying to give reasons on why cops may not appear to be doing more. This isn't LEO vs. citizen, it is information on the part of the job that most folks don't see when it comes to LE. Now, are you also going to quote those who have made similar complaints on this thread, or are you just going after me for some reason?

Ok,
    Thanks for the info.
    Let's not turn this into an argument.

Like I said, start your own thread about what the normal citizen does not see behind the scenes as a law enforcement officer.
    This thread was not intended to be a venue for law enforcement bashing nor a venue for arguing about what citizen Joe does not see behind the scenes or how hard your job is on a daily basis.

If it is sidetracked it might as well be sacked.

Last edited:

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I live in Columbus and for a while there in front of my house almost every night there was fights and verbal arguments over the neighbor girls. Absolutely ridiculous that 12 kids are allowed out of the house at 2 and 3 in the morning to roam the roads. Also the same kids were smoking pot right behind my house on a nearby trail several times. We also had two windows broke out and our neighborhood is in the paper almost everyday for assaults and burgularies. It is amazing that in 6 years time our nice and quiet neighborhood has slid so far. Everytime the cops showed up they either took an hour to get there or seemed annoyed that they got called. I understand the stress of a LEO's jobs but some (not all) act like it is no big deal that things are getting worse all around you and your family.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    So far, all is quiet on the western front.

The house still has a bunch of people living, going, coming to and from etc.
    However the domestic situation has seemed to calm for the moment.

I hope it stays that way......

I would agree with people on recording the comings and goings. Any kind of video or camera evidence would help.

I would also move any valuables to safer places, and make sure guns are locked up when you're not there.

If you want to be sneaky, look up the tax records for the property and see if you can find the address of the parents. Then send them some anonymous letters stating what's been going on there. :evilangel:
    Bartholomew County Public Access GIS

SHAUN_BAUER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    S.W. Indianapolis
    If several witnesses report similar incidents then doesn't that lead to probable cause and negate a warrant? And yes I would like an officer to make sure a neighborhood will be safe before they leave the area and not wait till an innocent gets hurt to act but with that being said I also don't want it to be to easy for an officer to invade a persons privacy either it is a thin line I know. And yes LEO's have a very tough job i know several

Top Bottom