SHTF food, if you could only pick 1 canned item.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Stop and ponder this, due to space and storage limitations what 1 single canned food item would you buy to stock up on that would provide some sort of balanced diet while filling and tasteful.

I had this thought in my mind right before lunch while I hobbled to the kitchen due to straining my back yesterday.

Opened up the pantry and right there on the shelf before my eyes was perhaps, one of the best things I can think of to store.

It was a large can of Dinty Moore beef stew, got your meat, potatoes and carrots plus a nice broth that can also help with hydration.

What do you think about this, and what is your possible 1 SHTF can item.

BTW as a side note, I purchased this last week and noticed that it does have a stamped 3 year shelf life on it.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I would say Chunky Soup beef stew. Same reasons you listed, I just like Chunky.

Either that or Spam....no....bacon flavored Spam. Seriously. I love Spam.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Something that is filling and covers the most sections of the food pyramid or whatever it is they call it nowadays. That would most likely be a soup of some kind, as mentioned, like a chunky stew with veggies.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Pork and Beans so at least I could entertain myself with farting while I was bored out of my mind.

In all seriousness though th beef stew would probably be the best option.

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    I would go with this :
    spam_can.jpg

Hormel Foods > FAQs

[quote
    What is the shelf life of a Hormel Foods product in an unopened can?

The processing techniques utilized by Hormel Foods makes the canned product safe for use indefinitely if the product seal remains intact, unbroken and securely attached to a can that has been well maintained. It is suggested that all canned products be stored in a cool and dry environment to keep the flavor adequately preserved. For maximum flavor it is recommended that the product be used within three years of the manufacturing date. After that period of time, the product is still safe to use however, the flavor gradually declines][/quote]

Last edited:

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    You're right, I just read the title. Not trying to poke fun at your thread. So I agree with a 3 year shelf life stocking up on the beef stew is a good idea. Might be a good idea to keep quite a few cans and rotae them out as they get old. A can per day per family member and you could live for a month on $100. You actually gave me the idea of having the wife pick up four cans per week when grocery shopping. Along with a big bag of brown rice.

Evidently you didn't read all of it right,

:D

Top Bottom