• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    What about extra gear directed at SHTF fishing?
    Yoyos
    Lure making equipment and supplies
    Net making equipment and supplies
    Buying extra gear in bulk, IE line, hooks, etc
    Pack gear, tackle boxes, repair supplies, etc.
    Buy in bulk, what else is there? I think what I consider a normal load out may be bulk for most. The "pile" described above sounds like someone was in my basement. Clearly, it is not hard to amass 40-50 rigs, trust me on that one.

Lures are easy to make from scratch, just keep aluminum cans and hooks around. But I also have wire, spinner blades, paitk, skirts, teminal tackle, tons of jigs, etc etc etc

The key, like all gear, is if you never buy crap it lasts. I have only tossed one reel in a lake in 40 years of doing this. Then there are my collectible or antique reels, many of which are rock solid. I bought most of those in the early 80's at garage sales while I was there just to get the collectible lures and knives and such. If I was going to bulk up on gear today I would hit garage sales and Craigslist and buy them by the tackle box and rig. Toss or donate whatever is crap, sell anything with collectors value, keep what you can use. Some day I will die and people will get their grubby paws on my stuff too.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What about palatable in the field recipes? I know it's been discussed that food is food and when you are hungry you will eat it. However, what if you are just not starved enough to eat it just for the food value? How would you prepare?

Along the same lines, what will you do with the scraps, waist, etc?

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Please share your recipe, I haven't had any carp that taste good lol.

Try poaching them with onions, lemon, carrots and potatoes. If you're serious about trying it, I'll put the full recipe. I've also heard of fried recipes but haven't tried them. I'd imagine it would taste similar to the buffalo at JJ Fish.

I've heard rumors of a barbequed carp recipe but haven't seen it myself.

Tim

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    I scanned the posts so please let me know it this is a duplicate.... but forget jigs, poles, and typical fishing.....
    Run a trout line or if you have access to a boat... do some jug fishing... just need line and hooks... some rancid bits from your other kills as bait... Catfish is mmmm mmmm good...
    Once cooked.... fish keeps pretty well at temps below 60....
    Carp palatable.... If hungry enough it would taste as the nectar of the gods....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Carp are great for pickeling. I don't have the recipe in my phone but it involves a 5gal pail, a refridgerator and a buch of carp.

Try poaching them with onions, lemon, carrots and potatoes. If you're serious about trying it, I'll put the full recipe. I've also heard of fried recipes but haven't tried them. I'd imagine it would taste similar to the buffalo at JJ Fish.

I've heard rumors of a barbequed carp recipe but haven't seen it myself.

Tim

So do you guys eat carp like this with regularity? How large of carp are you talking about using? Do you cut out part of the meat due to darker color or "mud vein?"

With all due respect, are these like puffball mushrooms? Lots of folks say you can eat them, some actually have, hardly anyone has with regularity.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I grew up in Michigan by the St. Joe river. we never threw the carp back because there was this old african-american dude (somewhere between 60 and 3000 years old) that always asked for them.
    Once or twice he gave use some that carp sandwiches. they tasted fine.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Had it a couple times. The Polish are big into carp at Christmas. As far as eating it with "regularity" no. I don't eat kobe beef burgers or cornish game hens with regularity either.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I don't eat fish at all, but many in my family do and they will pickle just about any very large fish. In northern MN most people don't eat northern pike, but when they catch a BIG one, they pickle it. Ever eat perch? You wouldn't fit in up north, as they are considered garbage fish and treated as such, it seems to be a regional thing....As far as puffballs go, YES I do eat them with regularity, but you must be very careful as they are not ALL edible. You've got to know the difference. I learned a bit about mushrooms as a child from Judge Samuel Rosen, a close family friend in Brown County (R.I.P.). Anyone familiar with the name I've dropped knows exactly whom I speak of.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    do not forget crawdads they are tasty , and people who don't fish/hunt or farm wont know how or where to get them .

Good call. Forgot about these. Used to catch them all the time in Missouri. All it takes is a dipnet in a stream and little wading. Turn over rocks while holding the dipnet immediately downstream. Crawdads "escape" by letting themselves flow downstream.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    At a yard sale last summer I purchased a nylon seine,about 4 ft tall,10 ft long,with floats at the top of the 10 ft span,lead weights along the bottom.You can catch a lot of fish in a stream with a net like this.It takes about 3 people to do it effectively.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    do not forget crawdads they are tasty , and people who don't fish/hunt or farm wont know how or where to get them .
    How do you prepare and eat these?
    At a yard sale last summer I purchased a nylon seine,about 4 ft tall,10 ft long,with floats at the top of the 10 ft span,lead weights along the bottom.You can catch a lot of fish in a stream with a net like this.It takes about 3 people to do it effectively.
    This sounds quite interesting.

I watched a buddy catch three bullfrogs by hand in about 5 minutes last year. It was right a dusk and he used a cobra strike sort of grabbing action.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    My Mom used to can carp, buffalo and high-fin. It's pretty good eating actually. I can't say about the Asian carp as I haven't tried them yet.
    I've ate eel a number of times. And while it's not the best thing I've ever eaten it wasn't terrible either. It is pretty rich so a little goes a long ways.
    Checkout Nylon Net Company and Memphis Net & Twine for commercial fishing gear such as seines, cast nets, hoop nets ect. Take a look at the mini hoop nets that are 20" diameter and 4'-6" long. For hoop nets I like 1" mesh, which is 2" mesh stretched (Indiana legal). Also checkout the slat traps.
    There are several of other options at both places to that will put a lot of fish in the boat when you go about it right, and with some luck too of course. It is fishing afterall.
    This stuff isn't cheap but will last for years if taken care of (cleaned and retreated as needed). Occassional repairs are needed due to damage sustained from being hung in snags, plus muskrat and beaver damage. That all goes with the territory and should be allowed for. Slat traps are pretty much impervious to beaver/muskrat damage.
    Homemade wire mesh traps are a good option though the throats can be hard to make until you get the hang of it and get a good pattern to work off of for the diameter of trap you are making. They are muskrat/beaver proof too and in fact are a good way to trap muskrats and beaver. Especially if you have a throat in each end of the trap.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom