• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    A Dillon 550 is not too much for a beginner. You can still load one round at a time until you are comfortable with reloading in general and are familiar with the operation of the press. With a little practice, you shouldn't have any trouble with a 550 at all.

lubemupski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Fishers
    I don't. If I did it would be 12 ga. target loads, as that is what i shoot most. I have done the math and after sourcing materials I would be able to put a box of 25 together for ~ $4.75-$5.00. I can buy bulk (20 flats) of Fiocchi for $5.75 delivered. With these numbers, it would take me 500 boxes just to pay for a decent reloader. Of course, every reloader i have ever asked always say that it is not about the money. It is either an extension of the hobby, or even a hobby in itself. I totally get that and know that i probably would get into it if i tried it. For now the cost-beneifit, hassle of saving shells, sourcing materials, and time invested just is not worth it to me. Of course if you ask me tomorrow it could be completely different tale.

ilcaveman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    elizabeth
    I agree with the 12ga. reloading, i did it early on. Its not worth it to me. I dont shoot shotgun that much. I reload rifle and pistol for the cost savings and the hobby, mostly hobby. The 550b is a good choice, you save about 60% reloading reloading pistol.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    A Dillon 550 is not too much for a beginner. You can still load one round at a time until you are comfortable with reloading in general and are familiar with the operation of the press. With a little practice, you shouldn't have any trouble with a 550 at all.

I started with a single stage press, then upgraded to a 550 after about 6 months.
    When I set up the 550 and started loading on it, kept thinking to my self that I could have been reloading on the 550 from the beginning.
    Learning to reload on a 550 is fine. NO Worries!

JohnMcClane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2014
    Indy
    From someone who knows nothing yet about reloading, how long does it take per round? or how many can be done in an hour? I've been told a lot of this can be based on the equipment you have. Just curious... Thanks...

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I can easily reload a couple hundred an hour on my Dillon 550.
    If I don't stop to much I can do 300-400 an hour, but I'm usually not in a bug hurry when I reload.
    If I had a case feeder, I could probably do another hundred more per hour

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    Can you reload .223 cheaper than what the going rate is say at .35 a round? Do you only save if you are using already spent cases for the second time, so the initial cost of the case is already accounted for?

sponge80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2013
    Monrovia
    I just recently started reloading, can't really say how much I have invested so far but I have enjoyed what little I've done. To me it's relaxing I have 5 kids and what can be a some what stressful work place, so I get home shut the door and just figure stuff out. A shout out to the guys at Profire in Indy for all the help!

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Can you reload .223 cheaper than what the going rate is say at .35 a round? Do you only save if you are using already spent cases for the second time, so the initial cost of the case is already accounted for?

Definitely.
    55 gr FMJ bullet is about .10 cents per round
    Primers are about .04 cents each
    Powder is about .08 cents per round.

That's .22 cents per round.
    Not a big savings, but when 223 was .50 cents or higher, it was a great deal.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    anyone around the indianapolis area willing to let me come by and watch someone do some reloading to get a feel for it?? i have some .357 and 30-06 brass ill give you for your time. (it is dirty and about 7 months old probably 20 of each) but i dont have anything in those calibers.

Newbie looking to start.

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    Definitely.
    55 gr FMJ bullet is about .10 cents per round
    Primers are about .04 cents each
    Powder is about .08 cents per round.

That's .22 cents per round.
    Not a big savings, but when 223 was .50 cents or higher, it was a great deal.

So if you add in brass cost the first time around you will be somewhere close to new cost and then re-using the brass is where you save some cash?
    How many times can you reliably reload the brass? Does certain brass cases last longer through more reloads?

Top Bottom