Should Indiana deer hunters be allowed to use high-powered rifles.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I don't see anyone on here being anti by a long shot.What I do see are some that realize that a good percentage of those deer hunting with cfr's,or any weapon for that matter do not no ballistics of the weapon they are using or their own shooting abilities.Some will think that because Carlos Hathcock made hits 800+ yards with a .308 that they can do better because they have a .300 mag.The Indian is far more important than the arrow.I would definately recommend a lot more hunter orange next year,especially if you hunt along woodlines or field edges.I would also recommend that the C.O's stock up on decoy deer,as I bet they will get a workout!

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I don't see anyone on here being anti by a long shot.What I do see are some that realize that a good percentage of those deer hunting with cfr's,or any weapon for that matter do not no ballistics of the weapon they are using or their own shooting abilities.Some will think that because Carlos Hathcock made hits 800+ yards with a .308 that they can do better because they have a .300 mag.The Indian is far more important than the arrow.I would definately recommend a lot more hunter orange next year,especially if you hunt along woodlines or field edges.I would also recommend that the C.O's stock up on decoy deer,as I bet they will get a workout!

Poachers already use rifles. Why would legalizing them make any difference to a poacher?

I bet there are a ton guys sitting around right now saying, "Man, I can't wait until rifles are legal so I can start poaching!" LOL!

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Poachers already use rifles. Why would legalizing them make any difference to a poacher?

I bet there are a ton guys sitting around right now saying, "Man, I can't wait until rifles are legal so I can start poaching!" LOL!

Yep... I heard the same thing when I was working on getting crossbows legalized.

"poachers would use them.."

"deer would be shot at a 100 yards.."

"Crossbowers would be shooting other hunters.."

"The herd will be decimated..."

Etc, etc, etc.."

ALL scare tactics...

All scare tac

Hank in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    South Central In

Hathcock used a 30-06.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been thinking this when they read or hear about how much worse poaching will get if they open up the caliber range.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Okay....couple observations when this debate comes up:

-BOTH extreme thoughts are 100% wrong. To say no bad practices will occur due to this is just absolutely naive and (IMO) stupid beyond belief.

The sad truth is some humans are stupid, some others EXTREMELY STUPID. The average "Joe Hunter" isn't currently using the wildcat rounds that rival or at minimum come close to some of the HPR catridges set to be legal next year....many hit the woods with a shotgun, ML or a pistol caliber rifle (.44mag and such)....they know their guns are not much use over 200 yards (most underestimate their ML due to no education in ballistics). This leads to not many shots being taken over 100 yards or so...granted at times these "Joe Hunters" will empty their guns at 100 yards at deer moving through a corn field but still they aren't hurling bullets 400, 500 or 600 yards across a field. Now in 2015 that same "Joe Hunter" is gonna hear he can use a .308 or 30-06 so he heads to the local gun shop, trades in his current deer gun and maybe $100 and walks out with a single shot H&R or Rossi in .308...the gun shop even tells him "You'll be able to reach out and touch them much farther now!". Next time "Joe Hunter" hits the woods I guarantee you (especially if he has a scope) will take shots TWICE as far as he normally would have. Now this is gonna happen, to think otherwise is proof of not reflecting on the state of humanity.

Now the opposite extreme is also wrong....the idea that the woods will be a warzone and bullets will be flying everywhere is just as naive. The sad truth is while idiots (see above) exist, I would say the massive majority of gun hunters will not be "flinging lead" 500+ yards on the regular for 2 reasons; they either know better (safety of backstop and everything) or they don't hunt terrain that allows those kind of shots.

-The REAL issue isn't the weapon to be used it is the approach that is used.

I used to be 100% opposed to crossbows....but have since learned to accept them, due to much bigger fish are there to fry. Same can be said for the HPRs. Are they needed? Heck no, to think that shows lack of experience with modern MLs or rifled-scoped good slug guns...but I do believe it is going to happen eventually so no use in fighting it...because as I stated THERE ARE MUCH BIGGER FISH TO FRY IN OUR HUNTING COMMUNITY.

If perhaps hunters cared as much about catching/turning in poachers, trespassers, illegal hunting activities our collective hunting community could be something to be proud of and not tarnished by the numerous idiots in our ranks. Education and accountability are the two biggest things we need in Indiana woods in our hunters...that is why I could care less what weapon you use, all I care about is are you safe, ethical and legal in your approach. Funny how some of the same guys furious about this change or others are the same ones that overlook their buddies, themselves or neighbors that do illegal hunting activities.

This sport is only as clean as we collectively make it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

Easier to hide within the new norm.

BTW, I've called the law several times on poachers.

As for X bows and poaching..............some use them but not many. Arrows don't drop 'em like bullets, so that's not a good deal for a poacher.

My one landowner did have cattle shot, by X bow, yrs ago................folks hunting at night it appears. Of course the cattle were like big puppy dogs, so followed whoever snuck in, and a couple got killed for it.

Farm bordered a sanctuary. Lots of poaching around there.

Last edited:

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Poachers will have to high powered rifles, .22's are still hard to find and when you find some it's cheaper to shoot a .30-06

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm frankly aghast that the venerable .308 WIN and .30-06 haven't been legal deer rifle calibers in Indiana the whole time. When I think of a "deer cartridge", those are what my mind immediately jumps to.

However, totally selfishly, I hope the policy change fails, because it would cause a run on .308 rifles and ammo, and that's to be my next purchase. I don't want all that nasty Capitalism getting in the way of my gun collecting.

iceman4226

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Bloomington
    Some places I would say yes and others no It comes down to common since and there you go. So many have lack of! It would not change my caliber S&W 460 & TC Pro Hunter. At best in the woods I hunt at best maybe in 1 spot if the deer stood still I mite have a 90yrd shot. I can read it now up hill shot and missed.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    My guess is IN is too flat, say you trying to shoot a deer at 400 plus yards and God forbid, missed and the projectile kept going and going and stopped somewhere it shouldn't be.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So what's to stop the same thing from happening during practice, or hunting another species? Give me a break. All you supposedly pro second amendment gun owners are showing your colors now. Since when do we support the government limiting our use of a firearm when there is no victim. There will always be hunting accidents. Bubba will at some point shoot his buddy while he's jumping a fence. Do we honestly believe his buddy will be more dead now than if he had been shot with a slug? Rifle bullets do travel farther. This is the reason thousands of Pennsylvanians are slain each year by errant bullets fired by deer hunters. If you want to continue hunting with your hawken muzzleloader, then by all means, enjoy your hunt. Just don't try to tell me I can't use my preferred equipment.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Im for gun rights so , yea anyone should be allowed to hunt with HPR.... If that's what they want to do.... +1 for the above post... ^

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Well why have any spec at all?

Just tell 'em your kid is an honor student at some outcome based education facility and you're 2015 deer gun tag will be gold leafed like a Wonka Bar ticket.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    To all of the people that say Indiana is too flat must not have taken a drive to the southern portion of the state. We have hills. It is the central to the northern part that is flat minus the portion over towards the Wabash. I say yes to it. So that argument is out.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I would vote NO. My opinion is that any type of shot over 100 yards is not hunting, but target practice. Granted, I have never hunted in Indiana, but done my fair share in central Illinois. Also before the question comes about, my furthest shot was under 35 yards. :twocents:

Top Bottom