Should I sell my Sig Subcompact 1911 and buy an XDS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do I sell my subcompact 1911 and buy an XDS?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So here's the deal.
    I carry polymer guns....except my 1911 subcompact sig.

That 1911 subcompact shoots well. I've run a couple hundred rounds through it and it operates great. (Sig did a great job getting rid of the bugs the little 1911s can have) Night sights, really pretty gun, easily concealable.

But the problem is that I bought it for deep concealment. (formal occassions where I have to take my jacket off, if I want to tuck in my shirt, etc) It's honestly almost too big for that. (I'm not a big guy) When I'm not in deep cover I typically OC a full sized polymer, no manual safety, or I CC a compact polymer under a jacket or shirt, again no manual safety.

So I have to train with two platforms. My buddy, who is actually a 1911 freak, recommended that I sell the gun and buy an XDS that is like half the cost and apply the difference to something I want or need. Then I only have one platform type to train, have a more concealable gun, AND extra $$

This sounds like solid advice, but I think my feelings for the gun are getting in the way. It's a good little gun, and I'm afraid I'll miss it.

On the other hand, I am a very practical man, and I don't like to make decisions for illogical reasons. Extra cash and an XDS sounds pretty friggen great.

What say you INGO?
    :ingo:

Also, your comments are appreciated.

Last edited:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    If there is anyway to keep it and save up for the XDS thats what I would do (I regret almost every single gun that I have sold!!!!)

If thats not an option for you then I would do what best suited my needs (or wants), if that means selling the Sig and buying the XDS then thats your answer.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If there is anyway to keep it and save up for the XDS thats what I would do (I regret almost every single gun that I have sold!!!!)

If thats not an option for you then I would do what best suited my needs (or wants), if that means selling the Sig and buying the XDS then thats your answer.

I mean technically yes I could afford to do both.....but I want to save up for lasic eye surgery AND be able to continue to save for retirement....sooooo if I am going to be a good steward I should sell the 1911 if I'm going to get the XDS

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I mean technically yes I could afford to do both.....but I want to save up for lasic eye surgery AND be able to continue to save for retirement....sooooo if I am going to be a good steward I should sell the 1911 if I'm going to get the XDS
    You will miss it. Keep it as part of your retirement plan. Besides all that money you make in the ER, you can afford $550 for an XDS and still get Lasix. My wife had it done a few years ago and loves it.:D

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Sell it. I am a strong proponent of choosing a platform and training with it.

I have friends who want 1 of everything, and yo be able to have a wall full of guns. I'd rather have several of 1 or 2 things and be able to pull one off the rack to carry without worrying about changing what I've built into muscle memory when I wear a different pair of pants, etc.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Maybe you need to get a wife to help you with the $$$$:D

Married or no, since when did having a woman in your life = anything but: :spend::spend::spend::spend::spend::spend::spend: lol

Ahhh I only say that cuz I'm bitter and alone.....:crying: haha j/k

What subcompact do you have?

Ummm did you mean the compact poly gun I carry? The XDM

Cuz the subcompact is the Sig 1911 subcompact listed in the title....

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If you have to ask, you know the answer. Sell it. If you loved it you shouldn't sell it, but you'd never ask in the first place.

Have you shot an xds? I would definitely shoot one before I sold a gun I like to buy one (I have not shot either myself).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have guns I own because I intend to carry them for self protection, and I have guns I own because I flat out love the things. For carry, I tend to go with Glocks now days. For owning because I love shooting them, I have 1911s, CZs and other odd stuff. Most of the fun guns are also good to go for carry, but, with the exception of a CZ Compact, I now only carry the plastic guns.

I carry the CZ safety off, with the trigger at the half cock notch, which gives it a very similar trigger pull when compared to my Glocks. I voted 'Sell' even though I love 1911s. If you own it because you love it, then keep it. But, I don't detect that from the original post, so I say sell it and get something similar to what you have and simplify your training.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I would try one out a XDs before selling to make sure, because they just don't compare in fit and feel.

Also the Sig will be retain more value as it ages compared to the XDs in equal condition, IMO.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    You gotta ask yourself "Is this the time for utility pistol or for safe queen pistol?" The Sig 1911 compact is a dead sexy piece and very ergonomic, but it sounds like it's not fitting the use you need for deep conceal. As far as your training goes, the more simplified and uniform your platforms the better. Instead of 50/50 time between your polymers and 1911 you could devote 100% to your polymer platforms.

Have you gone back through your inventory (weapon and non-weapon alike)? Are there any other items or pieces you could sell by itself or collectively that would let you hang onto your 1911?

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I say sell :) But that's mainly cause I think 1911's should be 5" .45's. And I really like that XDS. A lot. A whole lot. Plus, Aaron you know you're a way bigger XD fan than 1911 fan...

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Sell it. I am a strong proponent of choosing a platform and training with it.

I have friends who want 1 of everything, and yo be able to have a wall full of guns. I'd rather have several of 1 or 2 things and be able to pull one off the rack to carry without worrying about changing what I've built into muscle memory when I wear a different pair of pants, etc.

This is a good point and one that has bugged me. I have to spend a lot of extra time training with the 1911. However, when I was looking for a slim subcompact the XDS didn't exist.

If you have to ask, you know the answer. Sell it. If you loved it you shouldn't sell it, but you'd never ask in the first place.

Have you shot an xds? I would definitely shoot one before I sold a gun I like to buy one (I have not shot either myself).

Good point.

I've handled the XDS, dry fired it, seen it shoot, but haven't shot it myself.

I say sell :) But that's mainly cause I think 1911's should be 5" .45's. And I really like that XDS. A lot. A whole lot. Plus, Aaron you know you're a way bigger XD fan than 1911 fan...

And it also helps that you were the person responsible for implanting the idea to sell the Sig to begin with.....:D hahaha
    And I'm not so sure if I'm a bigger XD fan or not.....I've never owned a full sized 1911....too afraid I'd damage it in EDC and had other priorities than another safe queen.

Then again let's face it, if you don't like the XD you're probably just a biased fanboy. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

Shep79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Bainbridge
    I own an XDs and have to say it has become my EDC weapon, hands-down. I have put 400 rounds down the pipe, FMJ, JHP, Personal Defense, etc., with no FTF issues whatsoever. I actually sold an EMP9, similar situation you are in, due to the fact that I found myself carrying the polymers and dusting the safe queen. The XDs is easier on the hand than my Kahr CW9 and packs a much bigger wallop! Invest in the extended mag for your non-deep conceal carry and you have 7+1 in hand. This is just MHO but want to vouch for the XDs as a great concealable carry weapon in .45 ACP.

cmkaehr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    What's the capacity on the sig? I carry my XDs all the time, very comfortable, very concealable. The only negative feedback i hear about it is the 5+1 capacity. Personally it doesn't bother me. I can carry another mag easily enough.

Top Bottom