• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Know a couple guys that have problems with the politicians the NRA is against or for. For me the NRA keeps me notified and stands in the gap between 2A rights and those that don't believe in those rights.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Hello MegaTank, Yes 1500 seems high, but over 60 years the price of a one year membership will go up. But I think 1500 will seem cheap if a Government employee is at your front door to collect all your guns? A number of INGO members have giving you good advice here. They offer deals and payment plans. I got my Lifemembership at the Valpo Gun show on the payment plan. I have also worked my way up when they would offer a deal. And I just moved up to a Benefactor Member. I also got the Mrs a Life Membership.
    Everyone on INGO should be a member. When I upgraded mine, I also signed up 5 friends and in the past have signed up a number and a couple of Life Members.

:rolleyes: If it were to ever come down to this, that $1500 would have been much better spent on ammo and training.

Let's face the facts. The NRA does a lot of good for the firearms community, but to say that they are the reason that citizens are still allowed to own and carry weapons is complete BS. If they are so good, why was the Assault Weapons Ban passed during the Clinton administration? Why are so many states like California, New York, New Jersey, etc. filled with laws restricting their citizens with use of 30 round magazines and other pointless laws? If you think the government won't do what the government wants to do, then you haven't looked into reality in America yet.

I would join the NRA if every states gun laws were like Indiana's... but since they aren't and citizens are being restricted, it just goes to show that they have failed. This probably won't be a popular post considering the community here and the replies that have come through, but per usual, I don't hop on bandwagons. If you want to stop the government from collecting your guns, just stay here in America. It's going to take the military to do such a thing and those people in the military who are trained enough to do that job, are not willing to do that job. They took an oath and they stand by it.

You work hard for your money so do what you want with it. For me $1500 is a lot and can buy me a nice trip to some awesome training grounds and the ammo to go with it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    :rolleyes: If it were to ever come down to this, that $1500 would have been much better spent on ammo and training.

Let's face the facts. The NRA does a lot of good for the firearms community, but to say that they are the reason that citizens are still allowed to own and carry weapons is complete BS. If they are so good, why was the Assault Weapons Ban passed during the Clinton administration? Why are so many states like California, New York, New Jersey, etc. filled with laws restricting their citizens with use of 30 round magazines and other pointless laws? If you think the government won't do what the government wants to do, then you haven't looked into reality in America yet.

I would join the NRA if every states gun laws were like Indiana's... but since they aren't and citizens are being restricted, it just goes to show that they have failed. This probably won't be a popular post considering the community here and the replies that have come through, but per usual, I don't hop on bandwagons. If you want to stop the government from collecting your guns, just stay here in America. It's going to take the military to do such a thing and those people in the military who are trained enough to do that job, are not willing to do that job. They took an oath and they stand by it.

You work hard for your money so do what you want with it. For me $1500 is a lot and can buy me a nice trip to some awesome training grounds and the ammo to go with it.
    You are so wrong on so many fronts that it is hard to reply. If, even with all your training and equipment ($1,500 worth), you attempt to face armed government representatives at your door, you will end up 6 feet under before you can say boo. To say that the NRA has failed ignores the progress made over many years. State associations focus on state issues. The reality is that we aren't going to always get all we want all the time and some of us pro 2A folks won't agree on just what we want, all the time. To think that the military or police will not confiscate firearms is IMHO naive. People will always find a way to justify their position no matter what the subject. If you don't want to join the NRA, fine. It is your decision to make, but don't try to win me over to your side of the argument based on your rationale. Many of us will pick up the fight for our rights and carry on without you. I've heard similar arguments over the years from folks who don't want to serve in the military during times of conflict. If their rationale makes them happy, then good for them, but they won't sell me a line of bs and convince me it's candy.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    You are so wrong on so many fronts that it is hard to reply. If, even with all your training and equipment ($1,500 worth), you attempt to face armed government representatives at your door, you will end up 6 feet under before you can say boo. To say that the NRA has failed ignores the progress made over many years. State associations focus on state issues. The reality is that we aren't going to always get all we want all the time and some of us pro 2A folks won't agree on just what we want, all the time. To think that the military or police will not confiscate firearms is IMHO naive. People will always find a way to justify their position no matter what the subject. If you don't want to join the NRA, fine. It is your decision to make, but don't try to win me over to your side of the argument based on your rationale. Many of us will pick up the fight for our rights and carry on without you. I've heard similar arguments over the years from folks who don't want to serve in the military during times of conflict. If their rationale makes them happy, then good for them, but they won't sell me a line of bs and convince me it's candy.

Alright, so convince me... what's the NRA going to do if the government decides to start confiscating weapons? Show up for some hearing and ***** their opinion?

Sure, facing people coming to confiscate your weapons is complete suicide, but that's the same reason that police and military personnel would never attempt such a thing. Out of all of the military members and police officers that I know, not a single one that I have discussed things like this with have said, "yeah I'd confiscate in a heartbeat... screw the Constitution". They know as well as we do that the idea is suicide and goes against everything American.

My opinion is not wrong... neither is yours. Opinions are never wrong, they are one persons views on a topic. You think it's naive that I don't believe gun confiscation will come to, I think it's your tin foil hat on too tight that you actually believe it will.

People are free to spend their money as they choose, but just as you said, don't try to win me over to your side of the argument based on your rationale. If you believe your money spent on the NRA is the best way to go about reducing the probability of gun confiscation, then have at it... spend away. I let my membership lapse 10 years ago because I knew that if something like that ever became a topic in Congress that I would drive my ass down there and voice my opinion in person. I don't need to pay people to voice my opinion.

Getting back on topic, if you want to donate to the NRA to help them fight against stupid laws like the SAFE Act, I support your idea that the money helps. The NRA has won battles that have helped the firearms community as a whole, but if you are donating to them, thinking that gun confiscation is sure to come and they are the only thing stopping it, I think you need to talk to more military and law enforcement personnel about that topic and have some knowledge based on what will really have to happen for such an idea to pass.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    What really scares me is the fact that the "media/ libs" don't use facts at all. Through NRA I have read that Michael Bloomberg is spending millions gun control. He owns Bloomberg News. Everyday I listen to the radio news and I listen to several stations 106.1 fm WBCL, 700 am WLW, 88.7 fm WICR mostly, the news reports some type shooting somewhere in the world but mostly in the US as the very first report but always a gun incident and reported as a shooting or some type of gun violence. That's is why the dues to NRA have increased.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Alright, so convince me... what's the NRA going to do if the government decides to start confiscating weapons? Show up for some hearing and ***** their opinion?

Sure, facing people coming to confiscate your weapons is complete suicide, but that's the same reason that police and military personnel would never attempt such a thing. Out of all of the military members and police officers that I know, not a single one that I have discussed things like this with have said, "yeah I'd confiscate in a heartbeat... screw the Constitution". They know as well as we do that the idea is suicide and goes against everything American.

My opinion is not wrong... neither is yours. Opinions are never wrong, they are one persons views on a topic. You think it's naive that I don't believe gun confiscation will come to, I think it's your tin foil hat on too tight that you actually believe it will.

People are free to spend their money as they choose, but just as you said, don't try to win me over to your side of the argument based on your rationale. If you believe your money spent on the NRA is the best way to go about reducing the probability of gun confiscation, then have at it... spend away. I let my membership lapse 10 years ago because I knew that if something like that ever became a topic in Congress that I would drive my ass down there and voice my opinion in person. I don't need to pay people to voice my opinion.

Getting back on topic, if you want to donate to the NRA to help them fight against stupid laws like the SAFE Act, I support your idea that the money helps. The NRA has won battles that have helped the firearms community as a whole, but if you are donating to them, thinking that gun confiscation is sure to come and they are the only thing stopping it, I think you need to talk to more military and law enforcement personnel about that topic and have some knowledge based on what will really have to happen for such an idea to pass.
    There is strength in numbers. If you want to go to Washington and have a one man demonstration, have at it. IMHO having an organization that represents millions pushing for gun rights is more effective. If you think that all military and police members are pro-gun (especially the upper echelons) you are mistaken. If a law is passed and upheld by a liberal leaning Supreme Court (which may be around the corner), the police will have to enforce it.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    There is strength in numbers. If you want to go to Washington and have a one man demonstration, have at it. IMHO having an organization that represents millions pushing for gun rights is more effective. If you think that all military and police members are pro-gun (especially the upper echelons) you are mistaken. If a law is passed and upheld by a liberal leaning Supreme Court (which may be around the corner), the police will have to enforce it.

While I agree with you that there is strength in numbers, I highly doubt I would be the only one there.

As for the bolded part, sure, they will expect police to enforce it... but I would expect most of the officers to quit their jobs if it meant knocking on American citizens doors and telling them to hand over their firearms for no reason. Just as you would see most of our military go AWOL if their orders were to confiscate from the citizens. Everyone knows it's suicide... and simply put, a police officer is just doing a job. One that they can quit. Military personnel would go AWOL except for maybe the newest guys, who wouldn't have the training to last long enough to do the job.

It's not all cut and dry as one might think. There are other options for people put into positions like that.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Actually, I never suggested that confiscation was inevitable. My point is that the NRA is a recognized force in Washington D.C. and has done much in the way of protecting gun rights, the shooting sports and hunting. Besides that, of course, they have done much to increase interest among juniors, and provided a network of instructors teaching safety and marksmanship. Every individual who is concerned about anything regarding guns and the preservation of our freedoms should be a member, IMHO. If you don't want to join, so be it, but by yourself, you carry little political weight. I'm glad that you have such a high regard to the staunch support you think the individual police officers and military members have for the Constitution, but the test would come when they actually would have to make a decision concerning their means of providing for themselves or giving up that for principles. Nobody knows how that would play out.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Here's a better idea: Don't let it happen in the first place. Stop anti- politicians from getting elected. Stop unconstitutional laws in the courts. Get politicians to vote for our rights. All of these battles are being waged now. But you're too focused on the zombie apocalypse to getting into the war being waged as we type. There's no confiscation, but there sure as heck is a lot of mundane but important issues in state houses and on Capitol Hill.
    I buy in to the this aspect of the 2A, I really do. However, that's not the reason there's a mass confiscation and incarceration. Should such a thing come to pass, there would be a whole lot of other chaos and events precipitating it (read laws being passed with hearings). All of it is a bunch of "what if's" and pulling scenarios out of the air. And all of it seems like a strange straw man to argue that the NRA isn't a good guardian of the 2A.

Quit sitting behind the door waiting for the jackbooted thug to come to you and step outside and meet the threat head on.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What really scares me is the fact that the "media/ libs" don't use facts at all. Through NRA I have read that Michael Bloomberg is spending millions gun control. He owns Bloomberg News. Everyday I listen to the radio news and I listen to several stations 106.1 fm WBCL, 700 am WLW, 88.7 fm WICR mostly, the news reports some type shooting somewhere in the world but mostly in the US as the very first report but always a gun incident and reported as a shooting or some type of gun violence. That's is why the dues to NRA have increased.

Let's be honest the NRA under LaPierre does a good job at sensationalizing, too. He's a master at fund raising and gathering members.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an Endowment Member and stand beside the NRA, but I also know when I'm being pandered to. The NRA has no duty to "report". The stories serve these purposes: inform membership of our successes and our threats and garner support for the cause. Let's not try and pretend it's journalism.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Let's be honest the NRA under LaPierre does a good job at sensationalizing, too. He's a master at fund raising and gathering members.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an Endowment Member and stand beside the NRA, but I also know when I'm being pandered to. The NRA has no duty to "report". The stories serve these purposes: inform membership of our successes and our threats and garner support for the cause. Let's not try and pretend it's journalism.
    Agreed that it is not journalism, but the news media isn't going to keep us informed of these kinds of things. I'm not sure that there is anything that is pure journalism. More and more they just want to push their agendas. Kudos on the prior post as well.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The NRA has an agenda? Well, yeah. I stand in agreement with their agenda.

The MSM has an agenda and I am diametrically opposed to it.

I'm 60, I was paid up for a couple of years and when they announced their rate hike I extended for 5 years (because I'm a cheapskate). Then they sent me an e mail to go lifetime foe $500 at $25 a month, so I signed up.

Several years ago I had a beef with them and quit for a couple of years. Like any other relationship you won't agree all the time.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Journalism is about bringing out facts, getting to the bottom of a wrong and exposing it to make it right for the people, the readership. They are supposed to have an code of ethics to search out facts as the best of their abilities and only then report it. Ya know who, what, where, when and how. In the end it about selling the facts. But what has happened is if you tell a lie long enough it will become a fact.
    So here's where I'm at, read the other day we as Americans with all this news reporting, really only listen to what reinforces our own ideas. Piers Morgan and the like just makes me want disable my ears.
    So who are the journalists?
    Pandering, selling or getting votes isn't it all about getting people to follow along?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Here's a better idea: Don't let it happen in the first place. Stop anti- politicians from getting elected. Stop unconstitutional laws in the courts. Get politicians to vote for our rights. All of these battles are being waged now. But you're too focused on the zombie apocalypse to getting into the war being waged as we type. There's no confiscation, but there sure as heck is a lot of mundane but important issues in state houses and on Capitol Hill.

Umm, you should really go back and re-read everything I've said.

I've supported the idea that you join to fight against unconstitutional laws in more than one response. My entire argument was based on someone suggesting that the only reason confiscation hasn't happened yet is because of the NRA. But hey, :yesway: cheers to you on skipping that reading comprehension class. :): But seriously, my entire response was to this... as stated in page 7

Hello MegaTank, Yes 1500 seems high, but over 60 years the price of a one year membership will go up. But I think 1500 will seem cheap if a Government employee is at your front door to collect all your guns?

Either way, as I've said from the beginning... it's your money, do as you wish with it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I've supported the idea that you join to fight against unconstitutional laws in more than one response. My entire argument was based on someone suggesting that the only reason confiscation hasn't happened yet is because of the NRA. But hey, :yesway: cheers to you on skipping that reading comprehension class. :): But seriously, my entire response was to this... as stated in page 7

Either way, as I've said from the beginning... it's your money, do as you wish with it.

OK, I reread it. And my response doesn't change despite your snarky response.

Your original post ****ting on the NRA says it all about your attitude.

/thead

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

I get it. You don't think that the NRA has done enough to stop repressive gun laws. You'll only join after all the laws in all the states are like Indiana's laws. If bad laws come down the pike, you'll go to Washington D.C. and protest. You suggest that life membership in the NRA will reach $1,500 and you think that that kind of money will be better spent on you buying equipment and firearms training, so you can resist. You want to be convinced to join the NRA, which is disingenuous, because you already have your mind made up. Did I miss anything?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    [video=youtube;PAHgGsrdXyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAHgGsrdXyM[/video]

Top Bottom