• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Lebowski, ask yourself this question, who do those who hate your guns hate?

BINGO!!
    While I might personally prefer the stance of the NAGR, the fact that they spend so much time bashing the NRA annoys me to no end. Jealously ruins any chance they have of actually participating in the process. The NRA has been around long enough and has the historical pedigree to be heard.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    If you ask me, there is no doubt you should join them, they are doing what you CANT, they are directly lobbying washington and going after the democrats and anyone else who wants to take away your rights. They are extremely effective and it does a lot more than giving to a candidate if you ask me. You get some good freebies, and wayne holds nothing back when talking about obama and what he thinks, which i like. No doubt the best few bucks i think i've spent, just look at the effect they had on the libs in the senate and the media concerning this past gun bill fight. HECK YEAH!

triggerhappy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    I personally hate paying an organization that lobbys to protect my rights, but the alternative could be to loose those rights, so I'm a member and I encourage all others to join.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    They donated money, over $300,000, to help the recall effort in Colorado. Just the latest in a long list of positive contributions to American gun owners. Absolutely, join the NRA.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    As a shooting novice, as someone who is still sort of new to the shooting scene and as a non-hunter... should I join the NRA? Was looking into it a bit earlier today, but I can't decide if it'd be worth my money or not. I don't mind spending money for a year's membership, but how will that be used? Could it be better spent on a pro-2A charity or should I become a card carrying NRA member? They give you a free hat!

I'll let you guys argue amongst yourselves about what I should do and check back in later. :):

They fight a good fight. The biggest "real" issue with the NRA is that they do not serve gun owners anymore, they serve gun makers. There is some truth to this; now how much truth that can be debated. And in the end is that enough to keep you from giving them your hard earned money.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Join everything you can imo.
    NRA, Gun owners of america... heck I even joined SCOPE (outfit in NY, since I grew up there). They didn't even have other states listed when registering for membership, but I emailed and asked if I could join anyways.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    They fight a good fight. The biggest "real" issue with the NRA is that they do not serve gun owners anymore, they serve gun makers. There is some truth to this; now how much truth that can be debated. And in the end is that enough to keep you from giving them your hard earned money.

I sure haven't heard this, but I guess if they try to protect the gun manufacturers - they are doing what I want. If the gun makers are penalized monetarily WE will end up paying for it - or they can't make and sell us guns! One of the biggest benefits of the NRA is the research they do on all the politicians, rating them as pro or anti 2A - I take their advice very seriously and ALWAYS support the pro 2A candidate! (And I ALWAYS Vote).

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm a Benefactor Life member, but that's just me.
    I have yet to see another entity that even comes close to their influence.

Here's another reason to join or upgrade NOW!
    $500 Life membership

1 year $25
    3 years $75
    5 years $100

For a VERY limited time, and ONLY available through NRAStore.com - Home Page

Hurry if you're interested. Offer is valid through September 15th 2013

dshaf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Used to be a member of the NRA but got tired of the constant mail wanting more money. That being said they do a lot of good.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    The NRA uses membership numbers for political clout in protecting 2nd Amendment rights. If you own a firearm, might own a one in the future or just support the Constitution you should join.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    The NRA uses membership numbers for political clout in protecting 2nd Amendment rights. If you own a firearm, might own a one in the future or just support the Constitution you should join.

Yup, I signed up yesterday for a one year membership.

Seems the only complaint people have is the amount of mail/emails they get. I'll be sure to opt out of that as well, as others have suggested, so they can not waste money sending me things via snail mail and better apply it elsewhere. :)

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Yup, I signed up yesterday for a one year membership.

Seems the only complaint people have is the amount of mail/emails they get. I'll be sure to opt out of that as well, as others have suggested, so they can not waste money sending me things via snail mail and better apply it elsewhere. :)

Even if you don't opt out of the mailings the cost to the NRA is zip. Mailings are handled by a marketing firm at their cost, the NRA gets a percent of the take. Its a win/win for both sides.

Also regarding the mailings do you feel the same about your local hardware Do It Best & Ace fliers, and all the local junk mail you get. Good Grief, it only paper, that big of a deal to dispose of?

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Even if you don't opt out of the mailings the cost to the NRA is zip. Mailings are handled by a marketing firm at their cost, the NRA gets a percent of the take. Its a win/win for both sides.

Also regarding the mailings do you feel the same about your local hardware Do It Best & Ace fliers, and all the local junk mail you get. Good Grief, it only paper, that big of a deal to dispose of?

I personally don't mind some of that stuff. I mean, I just literally joined the NRA so can't speak on their level of mailing.

I do like the coupons I get in the mail. Too lazy to cook tonight, so ordering a pizza. Thanks Papa Johns!

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Well... if everyone else is doing it I guess I should to, right?

So looks like I'll be a card carrying member in 2-4 weeks. My old liberal Bloomington room mates I lived with a few years ago would shed a tear in their hummus if they knew.

now waiting for forum rep from all NRA members
    Excellent decision.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I believe the money is spent on perpetuating membership advertising. Since I joined last year, I bet they have sent me 30 letters requesting me to either give money to one of their causes or renew my membership. Not to mention all of the emails and magazines they've sent me.

I honestly don't see how they recouped ANY of the money once you throw in a hat and bag?

^^^This. Except I joined in January and I bet I get 3-4 letters a week, most asking for more money. Renewal letters started at 5 months into my membership.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I let my membership expire a long time ago. All I got was emails and letters begging for money, and I don't feel that they are very effective on the political front. They don't fight at all in the states that need them the most.

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I let my membership expire a long time ago. All I got was emails and letters begging for money, and I don't feel that they are very effective on the political front. They don't fight at all in the states that need them the most.

If there was no NRA, we wouldn't need this forum except to talk about the good old days. AND if those mailings didn't generate more income than they cost, they wouldn't be doing them. If you don't like the mail, as has been said repeatedly, call and tell them to take you off the mailing list.

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Sure, Join the NRA and also the GOA. Both.

Join the NRA because that is what people will insist you do or they will call you a traitor.

Join the GOA because the money you pay them all goes to lobbying for your 2A rights.

All this BS about the NRA being the reason we all still can own guns is just that, BS. The NRA is all about compromise and that will only eventually end in disarmament.

Top Bottom