• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    As a shooting novice, as someone who is still sort of new to the shooting scene and as a non-hunter... should I join the NRA? Was looking into it a bit earlier today, but I can't decide if it'd be worth my money or not. I don't mind spending money for a year's membership, but how will that be used? Could it be better spent on a pro-2A charity or should I become a card carrying NRA member? They give you a free hat!

I'll let you guys argue amongst yourselves about what I should do and check back in later. :):

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    As a shooting novice, as someone who is still sort of new to the shooting scene and as a non-hunter... should I join the NRA? Was looking into it a bit earlier today, but I can't decide if it'd be worth my money or not. I don't mind spending money for a year's membership, but how will that be used? Could it be better spent on a pro-2A charity or should I become a card carrying NRA member? They give you a free hat!

I'll let you guys argue amongst yourselves about what I should do and check back in later. :):

Ha I like the bold part. As far as joining goes, I'm a member of the NRA (I got a free bag:rockwoot:). I'm sure there are plenty of other good organizations to join too. Some folks aren't a big fan of Wayne Lapierre though.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Yes. They do the most to help 2A causes out of any of the other gun groups. That's not saying they are perfect and have always taken the best stance on every issue, but they are constantly fighting for our gun rights and have a MUCH bigger bite than GOA or other gun-groups.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    They are the biggest most influential group out there. They are not perfect but that can be said of any charity or lobbying organization. Give or join what you can and where you can.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I believe the money is spent on perpetuating membership advertising. Since I joined last year, I bet they have sent me 30 letters requesting me to either give money to one of their causes or renew my membership. Not to mention all of the emails and magazines they've sent me.

I honestly don't see how they recouped ANY of the money once you throw in a hat and bag?

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I believe the money is spent on perpetuating membership advertising. Since I joined last year, I bet they have sent me 30 letters requesting me to either give money to one of their causes or renew my membership. Not to mention all of the emails and magazines they've sent me.

I honestly don't see how they recouped ANY of the money once you throw in a hat and bag?

You can call them and ask them to stop sending you information and they will stop. I had the same issue with them until I called.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I personally am a member and I am proud to be. They do the most to help gun rights of any organization out there and I do enjoy the monthly bathroom reading material.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    when i can afford it, i will buy a membership.

my father offered to pay my dues for a few months when i was still in new york - but i refused. the NRA did nothing for new yorkers until well after they had passed new laws.

if you dont want to get paper mail, then tell them to only use electronic mailing. then if THAT annoys you, filter it to your spam or trash.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN

Call or write them requesting no correspondence and they will stop sending the offers. If you don't want them, they certainly don't want to spend money sending them to you. Fighting for our right to bare arms costs money.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Call or write them requesting no correspondence and they will stop sending the offers. If you don't want them, they certainly don't want to spend money sending them to you. Fighting for our right to bare arms costs money.

While you're at it switch to electronic delivery and save them even more money. I don't get anything from them in the mail anymore, including American Rifleman. Plus if they keep sending you unwanted emails they're easy to block.

paddywonka

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2009
    May not agree with everything they say, but they are the main one representing most shooters. That said I pay my yearly dues, like I have been for 45 years.

koutsevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    San Pierre, IN
    Join the NRA. Strength comes in numbers. They do a good job of keeping track of the 2nd. A war usually consists of several battles. I would rather have the NRA helping out every where instead of just the large issues. Sometimes, squashing the same problems at state or county level is better than waiting till the federal government is deciding.

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Ha I like the bold part. As far as joining goes, I'm a member of the NRA (I got a free bag:rockwoot:). I'm sure there are plenty of other good organizations to join too. Some folks aren't a big fan of Wayne Lapierre though.

If you don't like Wayne Lapierre, ask yourself if you like Michael Bloomberg better. If you value the Second Amendment and you want to keep your guns, start with the NRA and join other groups too as you can afford it. If the other side can divide us, they can beat us. We need a big, strong, united front to protect our liberties and the NRA is the biggest, strongest organization we have. The NRA not only needs your money, they need to count you as a member when they talk to the politicians.

Another good reason to join now is the upcoming 2014 NRA National Convention to be held April 25-27 in Indianapolis. You can only get in if you are a member and admission is free with your membership card. I went to the St. Louis convention in 2012 and I can tell you it is an amazing event.

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    I dislike the NRA but am about to join anyway. Just gives me an excuse to join ANOTHER pro 2A group. This plus writing to your local representatives. If we all did it, we would out-write and fund the libs, plain and simple. We are the more passionate group of people, it is up to us.

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I registered when I lived at my dads house and I love how much stuff they send out. My dad is real liberal and I love seeing the look on his face when he sees the NRA logo in his mail stack

Top Bottom