• ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Wow. I want to say there are some really really great points out there. I espcially like that even the ones that support CC still point out strong facts as to why you can OC as well. Lets me know that i have definitely Come to the right place. I am definitely looking for more PERSONAL PROTECTION TRAINING. I just want to know what to do in certain situations. I want to be able to protect me and my family. If that is something you could offer please let me know. As well as when i purchased my .45 i did get a holster for it. The guy at the Gun Den in shelbyville said it was a high quality holster. I kinda like it. I dont have a "GUN BELT" tho lol i just use my regular belt. i am planing on going in about 3 weeks to get a 9mm as well. Going to get a holster as well. That way i can determine which one i like to carry better.

There are multiple people/companies on here that provide training. Some personal (1-on-1) and some have a group format. Check out the Tactics and Training section for more info.

A good belt is important, especially with a heavier gun. These guys are highly recommended by me and others on INGO as well: Bull Hide Belts, Leather Gun Belts, Leather Holsters and Concealed Carry Apparel | Daltech Force

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    I personally carry in the most comfortable fashion for myself. I have had quite a few bad experiences while OC-ing. I think mainly because of the subpar education level of the people in the town I live. I have had one good experience OC-ing. I have noticed that the instant attention is brought to the tool on my hip, the people within earshot get really uneasy, and tense up. CC for me has been less of an event, simply because I am the only one who knows what's under my belt. The only issue with that is I have yet to find a comfortable holster to CC with, while wearing my work clothes. I'm not going to go purchase all new pants, just so I can wear a CC holster to work. For me it all comes back to comfort.

NicholasScott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    United States
    There are multiple people/companies on here that provide training. Some personal (1-on-1) and some have a group format. Check out the Tactics and Training section for more info.

A good belt is important, especially with a heavier gun. These guys are highly recommended by me and others on INGO as well: Bull Hide Belts, Leather Gun Belts, Leather Holsters and Concealed Carry Apparel | Daltech Force

unfortuantely im a big dude...and they only go up to a 60''. im gonna need a few more inches than that lol

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The simple answer is: Yes, you should either OC or CC. Which depends on you, you circumstances, what you're wearing, who you're with and where you are going. I do both from time to time, but most of the time, it more of a casual carry by OWB but with either an untucked shirt or jacket. Anyone that looks even a bit will see the gun printing and it often shows, but it's the most comfortable way for me to carry. If I don't have a jacket or shirt covering it, the grip can do a number on car seats and furniture so if at all possible, I try to have something to protect whatever I'm sitting on.

NicholasScott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    United States
    yeah thats the only thing im worried about is im a big guy..and my car has a middle section in between the seats. which will make it hard for me to carry...so im currently in the process of figuring that one out...lol

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Whichever you are comfortable with, do that. If OC, you should learn some defensive moves to stop a gun grab, even more so than CC. You'll also want to be prepared for questions/confrontation. Like self defense, have a plan on how to deal w/ them. If OCing, you will be an ambassador, a good or poor one will likely depend on your ability to articulate your beliefs. Would also be beneficial to know the laws regarding guns, carrying, etc. inside & out, too.
    Welcome to the fold. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Do both and see what you like. Make sure your holster has a retention device if OC. I used to CC all the time, i've taken to OC more lately. We'll see if it sticks in the warmer weather

This is pretty much where I stand on the subject. I'll OC or CC depending on where I am or where I'm going.

Take the advice others have given and train in a familiarity course first. The last thing you need is to not know the firearm you have on your hip and then be asked to use it. That could get dangerous for you. Personally, I won't carry a gun until I've put a couple of hundred rounds through it, even though I own several firearms and know how to use them. Each one has its own personality and I believe it's good to know your tools. YMMV

I think most people start with CC. It's easiest to begin with because it doesn't attract much attention and can help the user feel more comfortable about carrying a loaded firearm. Practice with it and you will find that you can get through your cover garment and to your firearm pretty darn quickly. Not to mention, you'd be amazed at how large of a gun you can carry IWB with a tucked in shirt. Your Hi-Point might give some problems however, that darn thing is a brick and a half. At your size I bet you could do it though.

OC tends to happen as people become more familiar with their tools, their comfort level, and the laws regarding carry in their state and how their opinion develops on the pros and cons of each method. I can't tell you how many times I've had to educate people on the carry laws in IN. People are very ignorant of the law and if you decide to OC you need to educate yourself so you know EXACTLY what the law says and where you stand. Eventually, someone will approach you and you will help to form their opinions about us all. Be professional in your demeanor and your answers.

No matter what your choice, Just Freakin' Carry! Carrying is a constant learning experience. You'll find things that work, and others that don't. It can get pricey, but in the end it's worth it.

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    Welcome to the world of taking responsibility for your own protection. Like almost everyone else has said, the most important part is to carry whatever you are safest and most competent with, in the way that you are most comfortable.

Although I primarily cc, I do occasionally OC, and wish that more people would so average people would get used to seeing guns openly carried in normal situations.

I don't want my primary image in my community to be Dave, the guy that always carries a gun. I'd rather be known as a husband, father, member of my church, etc... For this reason, I am more inclined to OC when I am not in my immediate community.

For what it is worth, I recommend that you not buy any more handguns until you've carried what you have long enough to know what features are truly most important for you.

NicholasScott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    United States
    For what it is worth, I recommend that you not buy any more handguns until you've carried what you have long enough to know what features are truly most important for you.

well...i really like my gun...but the problem is its really bulky for CC. So if i am ever in a place where i need to CC i want to be able to have one for when i have to. So with that being said i am purchased a gun with the same make...just a smaller version. Im purchasing a 9mm next week. I really like the .45 that i have and will definitely use it for OC, but in the event i go to the movies or places where i can't openly carry, i would like to have something that i can easily conceal

Top Bottom