• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Yes, OC or CC. Whatever you feel the most comfortable and practical method works in any given time and place. I personally have carried for over 40 years and almost always concealed in public. On the farm or hunting, I open carry.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    According to SkullDaddy, this is where we are: Murcia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I can't say that I agree with that assessment. They don't have such freedom in Murcia, I can guarantee that!
    Obviously you have vision problems. I have one eye and I can see the difference between 'Murcia! and your Murica! If you've been paying attention the correct answer should of been , , , "**** Yeah!" See Sylvain for further instructions .

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Nicholas, like the others here, I appreciate and respect your decision to carry a firearm. OC / CC, doesn't matter much to me, though I believe there's an appropriate and inappropriate time & place for each. There is NO 'advantage' to either method, but there are disadvantages to each. Decide which disadvantages you can live with, and choose accordingly.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I've got rigs to accommodate both CC and OC, but for personal reasons I Conceal Carry 99% of the time in public. I live in a real small town. For some reason, I'd not feel comfortable carrying openly here. I think it has to do with the increased likelihood of running into someone you know. In a larger city, I'd care less and probably OC just for the comfort. I OC around the house sometimes, at the range or when hiking/camping. Running errands around town? Going to Wal-Mart and all that stuff? Concealed.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Welcome to the world of taking responsibility for your own protection. Like almost everyone else has said, the most important part is to carry whatever you are safest and most competent with, in the way that you are most comfortable.

Although I primarily cc, I do occasionally OC, and wish that more people would so average people would get used to seeing guns openly carried in normal situations.

I don't want my primary image in my community to be Dave, the guy that always carries a gun. I'd rather be known as a husband, father, member of my church, etc... For this reason, I am more inclined to OC when I am not in my immediate community.

For what it is worth, I recommend that you not buy any more handguns until you've carried what you have long enough to know what features are truly most important for you.

/\ /\ /\ This...

I primarily cc, but recently purchased a owb holster with retention. I have no problem oc'ing, but with 4 kids (one special needs) and a *sometimes* frazzled wife, I generally prefer to keep a low profile.

Training is a must. Our sheriff taught a number of NRA pistol courses last year and is continuing with training this year. The classroom portion was fine, but the range time was fantastic! I've carried for years, but learned a bunch.

Carry on!

Last edited:

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    In one of my classes I just had to write an essay and argue it orally in class. My paper was for open carry and my oral presentation was for concealed. I bases my argument off of that open carry is a offensive carry and concealed carry is more of a defensive carry, because they both are good ways to carry snd both serve a purpose. Think about the situations when you are going to be carrying, first pick what you are comfortable with then the most appropriate. Just my opinion.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    In one of my classes I just had to write an essay and argue it orally in class. My paper was for open carry and my oral presentation was for concealed. I bases my argument off of that open carry is a offensive carry and concealed carry is more of a defensive carry, because they both are good ways to carry snd both serve a purpose. Think about the situations when you are going to be carrying, first pick what you are comfortable with then the most appropriate. Just my opinion.

Conclusive evidence: ATM is offensive.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I bases my argument off of that open carry is a offensive carry and concealed carry is more of a defensive carry...

How did you come up with this idea and what did you use to support that position in your essay and arguments?

It seems you have those two reversed in light of historical norms, court opinions and the laws of most states.

Open carry has traditionally been considered defensive in nature, providing the greatest probability of deterring crime before it happens.

Concealed carry is the method which affords criminals an offensive advantage. They tend to hide their intentions and capability to gain an advantage of surprise over their intended victims.

Only very recently have people attempted to argue that concealment and surprise are defensive in nature - they generally must admit that what they're planning or hoping for is simply a hidden chance to counter-attack.

Concealment as a preferred norm for law-abiding citizens is only a very recent trend favoring current public emotion and opinion over traditional logic and reality.

Conclusive evidence: ATM is offensive.

Well, when you say it like that, it's hard to argue. :):

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    How did you come up with this idea and what did you use to support that position in your essay and arguments?

It seems you have those two reversed in light of historical norms, court opinions and the laws of most states.

Open carry has traditionally been considered defensive in nature, providing the greatest probability of deterring crime before it happens.

Concealed carry is the method which affords criminals an offensive advantage. They tend to hide their intentions and capability to gain an advantage of surprise over their intended victims.

Only very recently have people attempted to argue that concealment and surprise are defensive in nature - they generally must admit that what they're planning or hoping for is simply a hidden chance to counter-attack.

Concealment as a preferred norm for law-abiding citizens is only a very recent trend favoring current public emotion and opinion over traditional logic and reality.

Agreed!

Just the other day, some friends from Pennsylvania were telling me about their experience with PA state law. Apparently, you don't have to have a permit to OC in PA. You only need a permit to CC! This makes a lot of sense to me because, as ATM said, CCing is the offensive advantage. Responsible gun owners aren't *looking* for an offensive advantage in most situations. Openly carrying let's everyone know where things stand and automatically deters conflict. I think it's great that in PA there's no law against that.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom