• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    I took a break from studying today and went into Midwest Gun Exchange and looked around at some of the rifles. I have recently become nostalgic about my rifles from my childhood (which I no longer have). I spent a lot of time out in the woods with my .22 and my .30-30. I went into Midwest to look for a cheap .22 rifle that I could go out and shoot. I think I've come to the conclusion that if I go that route, I should buy a Ruger 10/22 or possibly a Winchester 190 or 290 (which is what I had as a kid).

At any rate, I saw that Midwest has boxes of Mosin Nagants (with bayonets, cleaning kits, etc) for $109. I've read a lot about these things and it seems like loads of people own them. The ammo seems pretty cheap (though not as cheap as the .22). So, as my title says: should I buy one of these instead of a .22? If you own one, can you imagine yourself using it for anything other than a range/hunting gun? If I'm just looking for a plinker, should I just buy a 10/22 or some other incarnation of the .22?

Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    I should note that I don't really hunt at all anymore. I don't even know if I can hunt on game lands here in Indiana since I'm not a resident and want to keep my NC residency while I'm here for school. I suspect if I can find a rifle range, I would go shoot a few times a year, and I would shoot a lot when I go back home to NC.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Get one if only to remind you of your time as a Hoosier. They are great guns and you will love the fireball at dusk.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    a .22 is a more versatile plinker. I have 3 .22's and 3 mosins. for the price i would get a mosin. you probably won't shoot more than 20 rounds at a time because of the wollop but you love every pull of the trigger and look forward to next range visit. The nostalgia adds to the lure and the guns are just plain fun to own.

Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    a .22 is a more versatile plinker. I have 3 .22's and 3 mosins. for the price i would get a mosin. you probably won't shoot more than 20 rounds at a time because of the wollop but you love every pull of the trigger and look forward to next range visit. The nostalgia adds to the lure and the guns are just plain fun to own.

The fact that the guns have such a history is part of the appeal to buy one. I figured this would be a "hey, let's shoot a few rounds" kind of gun rather than 2-3 hours of shooting. I think I may have to get the Mosin tomorrow and maybe pick up a .22 this summer.

I probably should have titled this thread, "Give me the flimsiest reason to go buy one of these guns" since it seems pretty obvious I want to.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Should you?
    Yes.
    Flimsiest answer - 'cause they are inexpensive(cheap) and built like a tank.

bigboomstick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    I buy as many as I can. They are cheap as hell to purchase and feed. Great rifle to play with when you take friends out.

msirelan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Central IN
    They are nice and fun to shoot both all of that military surplus ammo is corrosive. You can find newer ammo that isn't corrosive but it cost more. The biggest problem is you have to buy 7.62x54R which is different than standard 7.62x54

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    They are nice and fun to shoot both all of that military surplus ammo is corrosive. You can find newer ammo that isn't corrosive but it cost more. The biggest problem is you have to buy 7.62x54R which is different than standard 7.62x54
    Standard 7.62x54? 7.62x54R is the only 7.62x54 caliber out there.

Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    Is it as much of a pain to clean all the Cosmoline off of the gun as it looks? I've seen some videos on Youtube. It looks labor-intensive.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Is it as much of a pain to clean all the Cosmoline off of the gun as it looks? I've seen some videos on Youtube. It looks labor-intensive.

No its not. Take everything apart and put the small parts in HOPPS 9# and the larger parts in boiling water or just clean regularly if you put in boiling water just make sure to clean it real good

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I wish i would have never sold mine to a friend. But, I will say i will be getting another before they go up in price.. Its a quality bolt action, and well it doesn't get any cheaper than that!

Top Bottom